Capitol Peak Fatality

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Violet
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Capitol Peak Fatality

Post by Violet »

Compared to many of u here, I am probably still new for 14ers. So far I hv just finished 10 of them. I want to share some of my thoughts after reading the comments here, my personal opinion:
1、Going to the peaks of 14ers has “fatal” temptation. It is like a game, once it starts, u just don’t want to stop, which sometimes worried me because it is how I feel. I always tell myself before I leave for the next 14er: “just turn around if I feel potential danger, never try hard to make it to the peak in that case.” So I consider the activity for fun, not for a task or glory. I am pretty sure the same thing happened to Himalaya mountains in Asia because I read many stories about people climbing, mountaineering those highest sea level peaks in the world. People know the risk in front of them, they still go to explore them, nothing stopped them.
2、 I read many mountain fatal accidents both in Colorado and in Himalaya mountains not for just being “nosy” about others businesses, I want to know what happened and what those beautiful stories behind those lives who passed away in accidents :-(.
3、 A documentary called < Torn> impressed me very much. It is based on a true story about American famous climber Alex Lowe who died in an avalanche in Shisha Pangma in Tibet and his family.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Violet wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:35 am Compared to many of u here, I am probably still new for 14ers. So far I hv just finished 10 of them. I want to share some of my thoughts after reading the comments here, my personal opinion:
1、Going to the peaks of 14ers has “fatal” temptation. It is like a game, once it starts, u just don’t want to stop, which sometimes worried me because it is how I feel. I always tell myself before I leave for the next 14er: “just turn around if I feel potential danger, never try hard to make it to the peak in that case.” So I consider the activity for fun, not for a task or glory. I am pretty sure the same thing happened to Himalaya mountains in Asia because I read many stories about people climbing, mountaineering those highest sea level peaks in the world. People know the risk in front of them, they still go to explore them, nothing stopped them.
2、 I read many mountain fatal accidents both in Colorado and in Himalaya mountains not for just being “nosy” about others businesses, I want to know what happened and what those beautiful stories behind those lives who passed away in accidents :-(.
3、 A documentary called < Torn> impressed me very much. It is based on a true story about American famous climber Alex Lowe who died in an avalanche in Shisha Pangma in Tibet and his family.
The danger level in Himalaya is just an entirely different level. You are traveling on glaciers with avalanches, higher altitude, more severe weather. Just not comparable.

I'm guessing this Capitol fatality was just bad luck. Could happen to anyone. And also different from some of the other Capitol fatalities when people tried to go down the front side directly to the lake.
Overlook
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Overlook »

I agree. Just bad luck. From what I can tell, Sarah was skilled, focused, athletic, and likely not prone to mistakes. See this trip report from 11/2015 where someone was just a tad luckier through no fault of their own.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=16683
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Rock-a-Fella wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:51 pm There may be something I have missed but I am not sure that ANYONE other than the climber knows what happened and thus those seeking to establish where the lines are may be disappointed.

I think timing has a lot to do with “what is appropriate to discuss” and “Where to Discuss it”.

I don’t think anyone knows the antecedent to the fall and thus “conjecture” is what is left. If you don’t know the mountain intimately then you will not even be good at conjecture either.
it's not conjecture. according to the initial reports, several people were on the ridge and witnessed the fall. that is why we know as much as we do about where and how the accident happened. that's a lot more than is typically known about falls or accidents involving solo climbers in the mountains. there may or may not be lessons or conclusions can be drawn from that info, but you don't know if you don't ask. some people here perplexingly don't even want anyone to ask.

i agree that conjecture about accidents is often pointless and can even veer into disrespectful or insensitive territory, especially when it occurs without witnesses or other sources of data (GPS tracks, pictures, etc) to draw from. that wasn't the case for this accident however.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Overlook wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:03 pm I agree. Just bad luck. From what I can tell, Sarah was skilled, focused, athletic, and likely not prone to mistakes. See this trip report from 11/2015 where someone was just a tad luckier through no fault of their own.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=16683
Hey, this is my TR, and though posted in 11/2015, it occurred 09/14/2014.
And yes, the first thing I thought when I saw the time of day and approximate location of this year's accident was that it sounded like a similar situation. It really heightened my awareness of freeze thaw cycles.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Violet
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Violet »

Sorry for the confusion. I didn’t compare Colorado situation with Himalaya system. I just wanted to say I am a new 14er hiker compared with many experienced climbers here. :-)

And I mentioned Himalaya mountains accidents, my point was that no matter where it happened, those past lives should be remembered, should be talked about. There may be many touching stories behind them like what happened in the <Torn> .
Thank u very much for your views anyway!

——————————————————————
The danger level in Himalaya is just an entirely different level. You are traveling on glaciers with avalanches, higher altitude, more severe weather. Just not comparable.

I'm guessing this Capitol fatality was just bad luck. Could happen to anyone. And also different from some of the other Capitol fatalities when people tried to go down the front side directly to the lake.
[/quote]
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

timisimaginary wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:02 pm
Rock-a-Fella wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:51 pm There may be something I have missed but I am not sure that ANYONE other than the climber knows what happened and thus those seeking to establish where the lines are may be disappointed.

I think timing has a lot to do with “what is appropriate to discuss” and “Where to Discuss it”.

I don’t think anyone knows the antecedent to the fall and thus “conjecture” is what is left. If you don’t know the mountain intimately then you will not even be good at conjecture either.
it's not conjecture. according to the initial reports, several people were on the ridge and witnessed the fall. that is why we know as much as we do about where and how the accident happened. that's a lot more than is typically known about falls or accidents involving solo climbers in the mountains. there may or may not be lessons or conclusions can be drawn from that info, but you don't know if you don't ask. some people here perplexingly don't even want anyone to ask.

i agree that conjecture about accidents is often pointless and can even veer into disrespectful or insensitive territory, especially when it occurs without witnesses or other sources of data (GPS tracks, pictures, etc) to draw from. that wasn't the case for this accident however.
I will say it again. Witnesses saw the fall but that does not mean that they know what happened (unless you have more to offer) That makes it conjecture
“an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.“ So while there were witnesses to the “Fall” , I know not of anyone how can speak to the antecedent. (Which it what I said in the post you read…..or not
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Rock-a-Fella wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:29 pm I will say it again. Witnesses saw the fall but that does not mean that they know what happened (unless you have more to offer) That makes it conjecture
“an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.“ So while there were witnesses to the “Fall” , I know not of anyone how can speak to the antecedent. (Which it what I said in the post you read…..or not
Is it not conjecture on your part as to what the witnesses saw and how much they know about what happened? Have you ever seen something in sports or in a car and thought oh no, just as something unfolded in front of you?
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

John Landers wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:17 pm
Rock-a-Fella wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:29 pm I will say it again. Witnesses saw the fall but that does not mean that they know what happened (unless you have more to offer) That makes it conjecture
Is it not conjecture on your part as to what the witnesses saw and how much they know about what happened? Have you ever seen something in sports or in a car and thought oh no, just as something unfolded in front of you?
John Landes: You are correct, It is not Conjecture. Why you feel a need to challenge me on this topic in something I am not sure about. You are making several assumptions about the thread and my reply.
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

It’s about time this thread gets retired.

Focus should be on the sad death of a human who had family, friends, feelings, dreams, etc, rather than on who understands the definition of the word “conjecture.” The forest has been lost in the trees.

RIP to the fallen climber, and condolences to her friends, family, SAR who responded, and those who witnessed the accident. A sad event for all.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
Overlook
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Overlook »

:thumbup:
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Overlook wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:07 pm:thumbup:
+1

none of the comments in this thread have any merit.

people slip, people fall, people die.

I am sorry for the woman, and her friends/family.

close this thread.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons