Watches

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Watches

Post by sigepnader »

Depending on what I’m doing or tracking it’s my Apple Watch or the sunnto 9
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

434stonemill wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:58 am
Rollie Free wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:43 am I have a Suunto Ambit3 Vertical. I bought it specifically for mountain travel but also for running.

Its the only GPS watch I've ever had so I have no real comparison. From what I have gathered online is that should something go wrong, you are not going to be well taken care of. Personally, I tried to get a hold of Suunto's customer service about minor issues several times and got no response. The complaint is that they either don't respond or respond with poor options. These aren't cheap things and I don't think their customer service should be that poor.
It was great for gps but for some reason the elevation just hasn't ever been right. I am always about 3-500 feet off. I also found the documentation crappy.

I like it and use it but frankly, the ONLY thing the watch gives you is convenience. Phone apps will otherwise kick it butt.

I also have a Suunto Ambit 3, but the Peak not Vertical version (maybe that is what you meant, or there really is a Vertical version). I have had the watch for 7 years and love it. With an internal barometer, the elevation is very accurate. And as a plus, allows me to keep an eye on the pending storms...if pressure drops, storm is a coming. The battery life is great. About 2 years ago, I would have highly recommended this watch, then Suunto went and ruined the interface for it. Previously, there was a web interface, where you go to do, to look at your activities and plan routes, map them out and download to the watch. They did away with the web interface and now you must use their app. So you can still plan routes, map them out and download to your watch, but you have to do it on their app. Its really hard to map out a detailed route on your phone.

I have also heard their customer service is poor. They were bought out by a Chinese firm a number of years ago, and some quality has gone a little downhill after that acquisition.
Well ain't I the lucky one. Guess I should have done more research and got your watch. In a side by side comparison (yes, there is a vertical) the only difference is the Peak has better weather readings (as you pointed out) and also has twice the battery life as the vertical. While I was complaining I should have mentioned that. I was excited to use it for the first time as an actual aid on Princeton and as I was halfway down the climb the battery died. This after a full charge. Battery life is fine if you want to know what time it is but to use the heavier functions like GPS, it drains way too fast for what it was intended to do.

Vertical does have the advantage of being a 1/2 ounce lighter. Got that going for me. There have been a lot of complaints about the new Suunto App as opposed to Movescount.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
TommyF
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TommyF »

Garmin Tactix 7 Pro solar. Not much this thing doesn't track. Use it for not only hiking, but work, flying, working out. Tracks biometrics while awake and sleeping. The oxygen saturation tracking is particularly useful while climbing.
Don't Dream It, Do It!
RWinters
14ers: 58 
13ers: 353 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWinters »

Thanks for all the great info and perspective. I have been looking at the Garmin Instinct 2 Solar and also the Garmin 955. I hear great things about Coros, I just don't have any experience with it. I'll have to check out a couple of the others you all mentioned. None of you mentioned the 955 yet so that makes me lower that down my list a bit! :-D
"It's just right there"
narahari
Trip Reports (0)

Post by narahari »

I have Garmin Instinct Solar and its been a great watch for bike rides and hikes. However, if I were to buy again, I would not the pay the premium for Solar. It might be useful for going on multi day expeditions, but for regular day trips etc, I never ran out of charge. Also, heard some bad reviews about 955 with their latest firmware update, where battery is dying in a day or so, so check it out before committing to a 955.
RWinters
13ers: 353 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWinters »

Well I wondered that too whether Solar was actually worth it so thanks for that perspective. I just haven’t heard or read much about 955. Any issues with your Instinct?
"It's just right there"
narahari
Trip Reports (0)

Post by narahari »

zero issues - I have had it for over a year now ( Original Instinct, not Instict 2) - the thing keeps going and going, not giving me an excuse to upgrade to Instinct 2, because its still working well.
Last edited by narahari on Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg0928
13ers: 254 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

RWinters wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:10 pm Well I wondered that too whether Solar was actually worth it so thanks for that perspective. I just haven’t heard or read much about 955. Any issues with your Instinct?
In my opinion solar is worth it if you like big days. Before I got my Fenix 6 Solar, I had an Instinct non-solar. I loved the watch, but I'd kill the battery on days that approached 20 miles. The main reason I switched was to get solar.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

434stonemill wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:58 am
Rollie Free wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:43 am I have a Suunto Ambit3 Vertical. I bought it specifically for mountain travel but also for running.

Its the only GPS watch I've ever had so I have no real comparison. From what I have gathered online is that should something go wrong, you are not going to be well taken care of. Personally, I tried to get a hold of Suunto's customer service about minor issues several times and got no response. The complaint is that they either don't respond or respond with poor options. These aren't cheap things and I don't think their customer service should be that poor.
It was great for gps but for some reason the elevation just hasn't ever been right. I am always about 3-500 feet off. I also found the documentation crappy.

I like it and use it but frankly, the ONLY thing the watch gives you is convenience. Phone apps will otherwise kick it butt.

I also have a Suunto Ambit 3, but the Peak not Vertical version (maybe that is what you meant, or there really is a Vertical version). I have had the watch for 7 years and love it. With an internal barometer, the elevation is very accurate. And as a plus, allows me to keep an eye on the pending storms...if pressure drops, storm is a coming. The battery life is great. About 2 years ago, I would have highly recommended this watch, then Suunto went and ruined the interface for it. Previously, there was a web interface, where you go to do, to look at your activities and plan routes, map them out and download to the watch. They did away with the web interface and now you must use their app. So you can still plan routes, map them out and download to your watch, but you have to do it on their app. Its really hard to map out a detailed route on your phone.

I have also heard their customer service is poor. They were bought out by a Chinese firm a number of years ago, and some quality has gone a little downhill after that acquisition.
Yea, in 2018 they sold themselves to a Chinese firm then it was sold again last year to another Chinese tech firm, hence the abrupt drop in customer service and low quality of the now, un-Suunto-like products and lack of support for older products. Such a shame since the vintage Suunto was great and way ahead of its time in the early 2000s-2010s. They really should just change the name so people don't confuse it will the original.
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

I do own an apple watch but i would call it overrated for hiking, underrated for running. Their new phone has satellite capabilities for emergencies which I haven't read anything about but did see. Needless to say, that sounds like it could come in handy some day.
amorgan
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by amorgan »

I'd echo the other Garmin Fenix 6 recommendations. I've used the Fenix 6 Pro (non-solar) basically since its release and it still runs great. I use it for hiking, running, cycling, multisport (open water swim included), golf, weights, etc. It tracks everything. Right now, it says I have 34 hours battery life on a full charge with GPS enabled in the hike mode. I normally have to charge with routine daily use (4-5 30-60 minute GPS workouts a week) about once a week.

As above, if you make or find a GPX track, you can upload via Garmin Connect and it is extremely accurate in my experience. Not sure what the cost is for the 6 now since it is an older model, but I've been highly satisfied with it.
Guabell
14ers: 13 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Guabell »

Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire
It’s a great watch! Great battery life - maybe charge every other week. Tons of sport specific apps. I use it for concept2 rowing, cycling, climbing, hiking, skierg, paramotoring…. Check out just one data screen on the hiking app. Mapping is excellent. Topos with trails are all preinstalled. That has been a life saver and really convenient. All I have to do is glance at my watch to make sure I’m on the right trail. No more fumbling with the phone or the handheld gps.
I upgraded from the Fenix 5 which was very good but the 6 is a huge improvement.
Lots physiological tracking. HRV, RHR, VO2max, O2sat, exercise load, FTP… the list goes on and on.
Attachments
FE3E176E-AE54-44FA-8C65-F416347CAB6B.jpeg
FE3E176E-AE54-44FA-8C65-F416347CAB6B.jpeg (271.86 KiB) Viewed 970 times