The road up Peak 9 in Breck

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cardgenius
14ers: 40  8  4 
13ers: 77 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

The road up Peak 9 in Breck

Post by cardgenius »

Anyone know if the road is till open and if so for how long? I’d like to get up there in the next couple weeks to hike Peak 9 but can’t fine and info on the road. Even called the Breckenridge info line but the guy I talked to didn’t know much. Thanks!
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The road up Peak 9 in Breck

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I don't know about this road, but an alternative approach to consider is parking at Copper's Far East lot and hiking up the CDT to the 8/9 saddle. I did this back in June and it was about a 10 mile day. There is also the approach from Spruce Creek via the Wheeler Trail, which has some 4WD if you're looking for it. Obviously neither of these options afford as short of a day as the Peak 9 road, of course.

Sidenote, why is it called the Peak 9 road if it actually goes up Peak 10? :-k
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

It's dry and open.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
cardgenius
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:15 pm I don't know about this road, but an alternative approach to consider is parking at Copper's Far East lot and hiking up the CDT to the 8/9 saddle. I did this back in June and it was about a 10 mile day. There is also the approach from Spruce Creek via the Wheeler Trail, which has some 4WD if you're looking for it. Obviously neither of these options afford as short of a day as the Peak 9 road, of course.

Sidenote, why is it called the Peak 9 road if it actually goes up Peak 10? :-k
Didn't know about that Far East Lot option. Ill definitely consider it, thanks!
cardgenius
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

Gandalf69 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:23 pm It's dry and open.
Awesome, thank you!