❗Climb-level Checklists

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Would you use this?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 71
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

❗Climb-level Checklists

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

While sitting at the beach in Florida I worked on the ability to enter individual climb (a.k.a. hike, ascent, summit) details, instead of just the peak level as it is now. When I do implement this on the site, I will give the user the option to start/stay at the peak (basic) level or convert to the new (advanced) mode. If you were to use the advanced checklist, the first thing you'd notice is the MINUS/PLUS buttons on your Edit Checklist would go away and you'd click the peak name to Add/Update climbs, as seen in the demo. An additional extra step when changing your checklist.

The following demo is for Mt. Elbert, on my 14er checklist. It can't be updated but you'll get the idea - you can use the add/edit/delete buttons, the data just won't be saved. I suggest viewing it on a computer instead of a mobile device so you'll see all of the fields available.

Advanced Checklist DEMO

You need to be logged into the site
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: ❗Climb-level Checklists

Post by RyGuy »

Pretty awesome, Bill! I track my climbs on Excel, but I would certainly use this as well if you implement it. Very nifty.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I, too, use a spreadsheet. My goal is to get this new stuff to the point where users have a ton of functionality and reporting options, as well as grid tracking and other info of interest.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Perhaps needs an export to csv button and a way to link the track?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

justiner wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:07 pm Perhaps needs an export to csv button and a way to link the track?
Check

I should mention that the existing EXPORT/BACKUP options on our user checklists will accommodate the new "advanced" mode. The links for these can be found on the top right of the existing Edit Checklist page
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

This looks fantastic! I'm too lazy to track my activities by any means other than the 14ers.com checklist but have always lazily wished I could track them there with more granularity.

I might be the only person in the world that wants this, but it would be sweet to have a "summited?" field which is checked by default presumably. I would love to track my failed attempts along with my successful attempts. Another thing that probably only I would like is the ability to track peaks outside of CO and non 13er/14ers.

I know that I'm really just asking for listsofjohn when I should probably just use listsofjohn (:
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Yes, this would be great! It would take a little while to back populate all my previous climbs from my spreadsheet but I love the idea of setting up something that would allow easier grid tracking and something that shows which peaks I've snowflaked more than once, etc.

And yes, being able to export the data is very good (I'd love to see some kind of export of the overall number of member winter ascents to quickly see at a glance which peaks - especially 13ers - are most/least climbed in winter without having to click on each peak one by one)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl needs a field for “Naked Y/N”
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

I would use it, Bill. But don’t need the Naked part.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

All good stuff.
Once it’s in place, I’ll build reporting and query options since there will be so much more data to work with.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i hate to be the “if you give a mouse a cookie” user (though clearly i don’t hate enough to not ask) but am just curious if we can get a similar functionality with routes..? esp on the bi/centennials
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I don’t think I’d use it and don’t use a spreadsheet to track individual climbs, I’m more interested in individual peaks and ski descents but I could see how this would be helpful. I also appreciate wanting to improve a climbing website while sitting on a beach in Florida, kudos to you Bill! Cheers!