New Satellite Communicator

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bigfoot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

New Satellite Communicator

Post by Bigfoot »

Looks like a new competitor to Garmin InReach / Spot is coming to market in Q2.
The Motorola Defy Satellite Link, which it is announcing at Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona is a credit-card-sized device measuring 70mm by 50mm by 11mm and weighing 70g that contains MediaTek's 3GPP NTN-standard modem to support Bullitt Satellite Connect, plus an eSIM and independent GPS. It connects via Bluetooth 5.1 to any iOS (14 or later) or Android (10 or later) smartphone, and is a rugged (IP68/MIL-STD-810H) unit with a lanyard and attachment loop so you can hang it round your neck or off your belt, or you can keep it in your car's glove box in case of auto emergencies.

The Motorola Defy Satellite Link, which is powered by a 600mAh battery, is transferable between phones -- so you could lend the device to a family member who was going on a hiking trip, for example. The device has a physical SOS and location 'Check in' button, so it can perform essential functions even when separated from its paired smartphone.

The Motorola Defy Satellite Link will be available in Q2 2023 across international retailers at $99 for the device only. A bundle with a one-year Essential plan (up to 30 satellite messages a month and SOS Assist) will start at $149.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/motorolas ... martphone/
I'm intrigued, but have no experience with InReach / Spot, so not sure how it compares. I currently use RunKeeper, but it requires a cell signal for live tracking.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (5)

Re: New Satellite Communicator

Post by Carl_Healy »

Functionally looks a lot like my Zoleo, given only SOS and Check In functionality on the device itself, but optional added functionality via a phone app and Bluetooth connection.

Zoleo's battery is more than twice as big, but this Motorola is cheaper.

I've never had any complaints about my Zoleo but I, probably like the majority of people with satellite messengers, have never had the misfortune of having to use one in an emergency situation.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Competition is good for consumers. Cool to hear of more options on the market. We used them on my 21-day Grand Canyon trip in 2019 to get texts out and have had them on several other multi-day wilderness river trips.

But I gotta wonder if SpaceX's Starlink will decimate the satphone industry in the coming years. Especially as they get more and more satellites launched.

My Brown belt in Google-Fu tells me:
SpaceX has already launched 3,500 first generation Starlinks and says it could offer "full and continuous" smartphone coverage with 2,000 equipped Gen2 satellites as soon as 2024.
Dec 16, 2022
As of February 2023, Starlink consists of over 3,580 mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO), which communicate with designated ground transceivers. In total, nearly 12,000 satellites are planned to be deployed, with a possible later extension to 42,000.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I think a real satellite enabled smartphone, with all the normal smartphone features/screen and communication with a much better battery would be the holy grail for navigation.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

nyker wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:19 pm I think a real satellite enabled smartphone, with all the normal smartphone features/screen and communication with a much better battery would be the holy grail for navigation.
It's on the way for Android. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01 ... han-apple/
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

This is different from recent Apple and Android announcements because this device is intended for two-way satellite communication via constellations in geostationary orbit - article explicitly mentions Inmarsat and EchoStar (DISH Networks). Geostationary orbit is much higher in the sky (more than 20 thousand miles) than low-orbit constellations like Iridium and Globalstar.
MUni Rider wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 pm But I gotta wonder if SpaceX's Starlink will decimate the satphone industry in the coming years. Especially as they get more and more satellites launched.
Not just yet, they have some regulatory hurdles to clear first: https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacex-wants ... nk-service :yawn:
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I'm curious how well it will work in practice, given the small device and the long distances to GEO orbits. Additionally, I imagine it will have the same problem that SPOT had talking to GlobalStar when either at high latitudes or on north faces of mountains.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

This might start a price war for the satellite emergency services, given that the plans are so much cheaper. I'm currently paying about $150 per year for the lowest service level on my Garmin Mini, so the break-even point for switching is pretty low. I wonder if the $50/year thing is just a teaser price, and the ongoing cost will be much higher - cell phone providers are notorious for doing that kind of thing. Another article about their Android phones mentions $5/month for the minimal satellite plan, so maybe that will be the real price.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gonefishing05 »

iphone 14 announced it will have these capabilities.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Just got a chance to test this device (Moto Defy satellite communicator) in the wild this morning.

Bottom line: For cheap 2-way comms, it's great. For an SOS device, I probably wouldn't buy one until they expand their satellite portfolio.

I'm guessing because Inmarsat sits pretty low on the south horizon here in CO, the device loses its link whenever the south sky is moderately obstructed, even if you're not stuffed up against a cliff. Point for LEO satellites.

If you don't spend a whole lot of time on or below N faces, or don't plan to fall down a N face and then require rescue, this may not be a huge concern.

I'll keep mine since I really just want it for comms, a task it performs well and cheaply over a majority of terrain.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Tmobile and Starlink are doing something to connect smartphones.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/13/starl ... this-year/