Peak ski descents without avy exposure

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Peak ski descents without avy exposure

Post by ellenmseb »

it can be fun to ski some peaks that are 99.9% avy free, then you don't have to worry about partners or the forecast. Surprisingly this seems relatively rare, given how gentle many CO peaks are, but often you cross a short section of >30deg terrain. What avy-safe ski descents do you know of?

I'll start:

[*] Quandary NE bowl * - Great continuous ski, it barely touches 30deg, I personally was comfortable solo skiing it on a Low forecast spring day
[*] James Pk St mary's glacier * - Another great continuous ski. Very windy. Took me 3 attempts due to wind. obvious avy terrain is avoidable, stay on st mary's glacier
[*] Flattop (12er) banana bowls - I want to do this as a ski descent from the south side couloirs (which *are* avy terrain). Last time i climbed dragon's tail and walked down the trail which was terrible becuase it has too many switchbacks but if you cut them, you'll be postholing. Skiing would be better.
[*] Squaretop - This one kind of sucks because you have to go over a bunch of dirt "humps" if you start from the north side of guanella pass. South side would be better.. if the road wasn't closed 6 miles away.
[*] Bierstadt - Haven't done it, I went up Saturday and it wasn't filled in so did squaretop instead. Seems like it's pretty rare to fill in (west facing)
[*] North star mountain

Any others?
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Peak ski descents without avy exposure

Post by JacobW »

Ruby Gulch on Grays, the East Face of Buffalo, and the South Slopes of Sherman come to mind. Ruby Gulch and Sherman might show pockets of >30º, but it's pretty avoidable... the bigger risk is that there just might not be snow on either of those.
JacobW
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

Oh, forgot the angel of Shavano, certainly classic.
Scary_Canary
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Scary_Canary »

Dyer across from Sherman is a real fun one, and very little avy danger. The road can be a little bit of a B on the way out, especially since the winter closure has changed. But overall a great option
The risk I took was calculated, but I'm terrible at math.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

JacobW wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:26 pm Oh, forgot the angel of Shavano, certainly classic.
Ive been curious about this one. Looks like the route itself is on a 31deg slope (borderline) and is directly below a 36deg south-facing slope (more than borderline). has that slope been known to slide?

Looking for things that are so clearly *not* avy terrain that I can do them on days where I cant find a partner and without worrying about being down early before the wet slides.
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 6.02.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 6.02.08 PM.png (271.6 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Mosquito peak SE ridge/slope is a good one
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 44 22
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Mt. Elbert East Ridge
Good luck breeds bad habits.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Pennsylvania
Dyer from the West
Evans B
Homestake
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Helen. You have to avoid the short gully at the base by going skiers right at the bottom though.
Silver Heels
Hoosier and the Reds

Many of the mountains that can be skied with virtually no avy hazard require somewhat convoluted routes up and down.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

There were two deaths from triggering an avalanche on North Star last year
JacobW
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

justiner wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:54 pm There were two deaths from triggering an avalanche on North Star last year
That was a pretty isolated wind feature, sticking to the ridge should avoid that terrain. But yes, I guess that mean that there is avalanche terrain on the east ridge of North Star.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

ellenmseb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:55 pm it can be fun to ski some peaks that are 99.9% avy free, then you don't have to worry about partners or the forecast.

Looking for things that are so clearly *not* avy terrain that I can do them on days where I cant find a partner and without worrying about being down early before the wet slides.
Since your post mentions wet slides, I am going to assume you are considering spring missions. If that is the case, I would suggest that you may be looking at this the wrong way. Once Colorado is into a spring snowpack, to me the whole equation gets very simplified such that all you need to really worry about is the forecast -- clear skies overnight and an alpine start. When you start your climb and your descent is one element that you have full control over. On the other hand, if you are picking your routes solely on the basis of slope angle, you are going to risk spending alot of time wallowing in the forest or on low-angle ski routes following weak freezes. Also, getting down before the wet slides should always be considered critical as many routes will have micro features or even road cuts that could catch you off guard with potentially bad outcomes in terrain traps. Sleep is overrated -- get an alpine start on a clear night. Sunrises in the alpine are an underrated bonus of safe spring skiing.
Sunlight Windom (6-9-2019).jpg
Sunlight Windom (6-9-2019).jpg (129.07 KiB) Viewed 3384 times