CO Native and I get real lightheaded above 12500 ft

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl the Cuttlefish
Trip Reports (0)

CO Native and I get real lightheaded above 12500 ft

Post by Carl the Cuttlefish »

Anybody else experience this? I grew up in Black Forest at 7100 ft, I'm at 7600 here in Arroyo Seco NM now so I'm acclimated to that elevation. However it seems like once I get above the trees a ways, right at about 12500 ft, I start feeling funny - there's always a slight feeling like I could pass out, like my soul could depart my body lol, like Google Earth is zooming out so to speak in my mind. The issue is this is NOT a good feeling when it's just you alone on top of the mountain. It doesn't matter the activity, whether it's hiking, driving up Pikes Peak, snowmobiling. 10-11000 I feel fine and can exert all day, but that next step higher and it gets weird. I don't know if it's something that you can train away or it's just how my body is.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: CO Native and I get real lightheaded above 12500 ft

Post by sunny1 »

This is a bit of a tough one, as add'l info is needed to give a good answer. First and foremost, remember this is the internet, and as wonderful as this forum can be, we cannot provide the quality of advice a medical provider/doctor can in person, at an appointment.

You mention you ALWAYS have lightheadedness >12,500 ft - does that mean for years, each and every time you are > 12,500 ft, you feel lightheaded, like you could pass out?
You never feel well > 12,500 ft elev? It doesn't occur anytime or anywhere else?
Anything else going on at the same time as the lightheadedness - such as rapid pulse, nausea, other?
Do you regularly exercise, or not really - you are more of a weekend hiker?
Any other medical issues, meds or supplements taken regularly?
You don't have to answer these questions, if you don't want to, but think 'em over a bit.

Some simple things to try, if you haven't already:
*Increase hydration - start your active days with at least 16 oz of water 1st thing when you get up, and ensure you're drinking regularly while active. Remember humans awaken in the a.m. naturally dehydrated, as the majority of us are not drinking water overnight, and usually haven't had fluid in hours.
*Increase your sodium intake, or boost electrolyte replacement, especially if you tend to sweat profusely
*Consider trying knee high compression socks, 20-30 mmHg compression
*If you do not regularly exercise, step that up, as long as you feel well with it.
*Avoid booze the day prior to high altitude activity
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Being native to Colorado will have absolutely no bearing on if you get altitude sickness. All you get from being a CO native is the bumper sticker.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Please, go see a cardiologist.
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

UC Health has a High Altitude specialty practice as part of their pulmonary dept:

https://www.uchealth.org/locations/uche ... -anschutz/

I’ve never had altitude issues, so I cannot speak to care or cost. They probably have treated others with similar issues you have described.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

This is a good article they found out some new things about being sick at elevation that many other experts did not think could happen. Might be good to see if you can get an appointment with Ebert Family Clinic in summit county, they seem to have a bunch of experience.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/living ... residents/
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Instead of polling the fine doctors on 14ers.com, close out your browser, and make an appointment with a cardiologist. That's the smart start.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:32 am Instead of polling the fine doctors on 14ers.com, close out your browser, and make an appointment with a cardiologist. That's the smart start.
But that will cost money. :mrgreen:
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

SkaredShtles wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:58 am
mtree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:32 am Instead of polling the fine doctors on 14ers.com, close out your browser, and make an appointment with a cardiologist. That's the smart start.
Yup. You get what you pay for.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:30 am
SkaredShtles wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:58 am
Yup. You get what you pay for.
tHaT'S WhAt tHe mAiNsTrEaM MeDiCaL EsTaBlIsHmEnT WaNtS YoU To tHiNk!!

:mrgreen:
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Trotter wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:50 pm Being native to Colorado will have absolutely no bearing on if you get altitude sickness. All you get from being a CO native is the bumper sticker.
I thought his title was referring to Josh (CO Native), a former admin here, as well as a former regular poster!
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

For me, I live at 7k, and my first time above 10k most every year is sometime in April, or May. I definitely feel the altitude when I get up to 14k for the first time every year. I like running at 14k so it doesn't take long before the effects of altitude are minimized. (See your doc if it concerns you)