Fall Foliage 2023

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Fall Foliage 2023

Post by XterraRob »

Not sure why my original post was deleted.

For those who are new to Fall foliage season in Colorado, the drive from Creede to Lake City is pretty picturesque. When descending 149 towards Lake City, there's an overlook for Lake San Cristobal that has an amazing view when the leaves turn.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 265 14 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Leadville area is just starting, most trees are still completely green. And with no storms forecasted (yet), seems the color will (hopefully) have a full length display this year lasting at least through the first week, maybe two weeks of October. This year's color display is shaping up to be awesome, fingers crossed.
ballardwf04
14ers: 48  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ballardwf04 »

Any recommendations for leaf peeping (or even better, dispersed/free camping) in the general Breck area? I’ll be up there next weekend with some time to spare (TedX Breck feat our very own Chris Fisher).

I’ve seen good things about Boreas and Guanella Pass as well, but don’t know much about the possibility of camping around there. Any and all advice welcome!
"In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God."
Luke 6:12
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 169 12
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cloudkicker »

ballardwf04 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:02 pm Any recommendations for leaf peeping (or even better, dispersed/free camping) in the general Breck area? I’ll be up there next weekend with some time to spare (TedX Breck feat our very own Chris Fisher).

I’ve seen good things about Boreas and Guanella Pass as well, but don’t know much about the possibility of camping around there. Any and all advice welcome!
Boreas Pass is your best bet. Approximately 2 dozen designated dispersed sites (numbered, first come first serve) and lots of aspens. Not a good road for RV camping, a truck with a tent is ideal. Good luck.
two lunches
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

cloudkicker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:52 pm
ballardwf04 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:02 pm Any recommendations for leaf peeping (or even better, dispersed/free camping) in the general Breck area? I’ll be up there next weekend with some time to spare (TedX Breck feat our very own Chris Fisher).

Boreas Pass is your best bet. Approximately 2 dozen designated dispersed sites (numbered, first come first serve) and lots of aspens. Not a good road for RV camping, a truck with a tent is ideal. Good luck.
i super agree with this suggestion, but i can also assure you every single one of those spots will be filled by Friday late afternoon/early evening. it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan- maybe weston pass? also, fair warning- there will be a LOT of traffic going up and down the dirt road so prepare for a ton of dust at your campsite. it was a zoo the last time i was there on a fall weekend.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Ryan987
14ers: 31  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

Missouri gulch is INCREDIBLE right now. Nearing the peak foliage
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ekalina »

We hiked from Kenosha Pass today along with about 7,839 other people and most of the trees are still a greenish yellow. Several days to go before the peak, maybe even next weekend. However, there is a tinge of brown mixed in with most of the yellows and greens, not sure why given that Park County is currently drought free.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 161 29
Trip Reports (71)

Post by daway8 »

Went up/down the south side of Ervin/Blaurock (just north of Huron) - some really nice color there! Some spots in full color, some still green, others already dropped their leaves. Lots of patches had brown mixed with gold.

Can't upload photos here without downsizing them to where they look horrible so see my conditions report instead.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Rocky Mountain NP (at least the west side) and the area around Grand Lake are pretty much at peak.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 159 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

ekalina wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:02 pm We hiked from Kenosha Pass today along with about 7,839 other people and most of the trees are still a greenish yellow. Several days to go before the peak, maybe even next weekend. However, there is a tinge of brown mixed in with most of the yellows and greens, not sure why given that Park County is currently drought free.
The tinge brown is often the result of a fungus caused by too much moisture. Been seeing reports of that up on Peak to Peak highway as well. Makes sense given the rainfall in those areas.
madmattd
14ers: 38  14 
13ers: 86 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

The valley into East Portal (Rollins Pass) is starting. A few small pockets at peak, many pockets a light yellow-green, still a fair bit is green. Most of the color change was along the road, which is usually the first to change. Boulder Creek Trail was starting to change. Give it 4-5 more days, and it should be peaking - next weekend will probably be close to peak, maybe just past.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Lots of driving, hiking around Summit County this weekend.

At peak now, Sept 24:
Boreas Pass
Loveland Pass Keystone side
Guanella Pass
(Generally areas east of divide)

Not peak yet, likely Sept 30:
Leadville
Fremont Pass
Summit County
Hoosier Pass
(generally areas west of divide)