Mt. White  
Condition Updates  
Route: Northwest Slopes via Mount Antero
Posted On: 2020-11-13, By: supranihilest
Info: From the point southwest of Antero we dropped down towards the large plateau between Antero and White. There's a road down but we tried to just ski the scree while avoiding the snow instead. Crossing the plateau was snowy, and the ascent was as well, though we tried to link as much semi-dry stuff as possible. Snow was variable from sugar to rock hard. As the route steepened the snow disappeared and the terrain went from super loose pea gravel-like scree to loose talus to more imbedded rocks. The upper ridge was full of angular talus. There are two summits, the first made of black rock, the second made of white rock. The white rock summit is, as you can guess, the true summit. We descended the way we came up and then instead of going back up the road we went towards Cronin and to the road there, then back to the northeast on the road to Antero's west rib. This saved several hundred feet of elevation gain and parts were snowy, though not terribly so. The road was very snowy and usually the downhill margin was the best place to hike. Once on the rib we descended the loose talus to the tundra, put on spikes, and kept them on all the way back to the car. There was more ice on the road on the descent than the ascent. Snowshoes not needed (though tomorrow's storm may change that), ice axe not necessary, microspikes useful for the icy road and ascent/descent of Antero's west rib. 
7
Route: Little Browns Creek
Posted On: 2020-06-13, By: dwoodward13
Info: Loop up Little Browns, down Browns. Hit White->Cronin->Lo Carb->Cyclone->Carbonate. Full summer conditions. Descended Cyclone/Carb saddle. Glissade opportunity if you want, otherwise you can stick to rocks. There is a old mining road that will pretty painlessly lead you to the active 4x4 road to Browns Lake. It's visible on satellite views. 
Route: Browns Creek
Posted On: 2020-05-22, By: RWinters
Info: From Browns Creek it is near summer conditions. I travelled on snow for about 100 yards. It was solid in the morning and not that bad on the return. 
Route: From Browns Creek
Posted On: 2020-05-16, By: WildWanderer
Info: 95% of the trail is dry, but you'll need to lug snowshoes for the other 5%, especially on the way down (there was a half mile section I would not have been able to cross without snowshoes, in the morning or afternoon). The roads are full of snow, so I just headed for the ridge. The ridge was bare. No other traction needed. Microspikes would not have been enough. It should all melt out in a week or two (it's melting fast). 
7
Route: Baldwin Gulch
Posted On: 2019-09-21, By: Flyingfish
Info: Drove to the flat area between Antero and White then hiked the west ridge up 
Route: Little Browns Creek
Posted On: 2019-07-11, By: TravelingMatt
Info: Dry below treeline, snow appears around 12000' and there is one unavoidable patch several hundred feet long. It is not steep, however, and was solid in morning and mid-afternoon. Too shallow to get a good glissade on unfortunately. Below this snowbank is a creek crossing with a snowbridge, into which I postholed on descent. All other snow is no big deal or avoidable. No snow above col with Antero; road goes up to about 13300'; Class 2 scree slog above that. I believe the east (further) summit is highest. Antero looked to have one remaining snowbank up high, otherwise dry. 
Route: From Little Browns Creek
Posted On: 2018-07-03, By: Ptglhs
Info: Dry and easy ascent once you're already at the saddle between white and Antero. Stable talus up the WNW side, loose scree coming now the north side. 
Route: From Browns Creek
Posted On: 2018-05-09, By: illusion7il
Info: From Browns Creek trail. Very little snow. Mostly all avoidable other than a few short crossings. No traction or flotation necessary. 
2
Route: Baldwin Gulch Trailhead
Posted On: 2017-10-06, By: JasonKline
Info: Road is clear of snow until the upper switchbacks. After that, the snow gets increasingly deeper on the road. Off the road, the snow is sporadic but is generally only a few inches deep when present. I didn't use microspikes or snowshoes, but they could have been useful on certain sections of the road (there were tracks where other people used snowshoes on parts of the road). There will probably be a lot more snow soon. 
Route: Browns Creek TH
Posted On: 2016-11-21, By: alpinesnowdevil
Info: I hiked from Browns Creek TH. There was a bit of spotty snow here and there, but basically clear the whole route. No micro spikes or gaiters needed. 
Route: Little Browns
Posted On: 2013-10-03, By: IHikeLikeAGirl
Info: Little Browns trail was 99% dry. Some snow as you neared the saddle, could go around, if needed. Snow covered the road on the north mountainside of White, but other than that, the roads were snow free, as was the route up the ridge to White. 

Return to the main Peak Conditions page



© 2021 14ers.com®, 14ers Inc.