Mountain Lion

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by nyker »

elcap5 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:55 pm
nyker wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am Does anyone have any photos of mountain lions they've seen? If so please post!

I've had three potential sightings in CO: I say potential because I don't have a photo, did not see entire animal in a clear still moment but pretty much eliminated any other animal it might have been. All three were in remote areas, no people around and quiet mornings.
In each situation, I thought it might have been an dog, deer, young elk, off color goat, bighorn sheep, coyote, wolverine or even lynx (which also would have been cool!) but was none of them. Looking back at my notes from the time:

1. Aug 2008, Just after trailhead of Mount Huron, @ ~5:00AM, we saw it crouching under some conifers and moving around for about 30 seconds about 100 yards in front of us before you make the turn left climbing up. No other people around, just the two of us.

2. July 2009, about two miles into the route for San Luis, saw it from across the valley 200 yards away - we stood motionless and watched the tan colored creature move for 4-5 minutes very stealthfully in the high summer weed growth like the other animals do as if it were following a trail.

3. Sept 2012, Rock of Ages basin around one of the turns in the dirt road,trail just after 11am returning from Wilson Peak, where it makes a 90 degree turn from the main walk once it ascends above the basin. I saw a tan flash as it darted around the road, then I saw it behind some tall annual weeds off the side of the trail. Being startled to say the least, I waited 30 minutes and then slowly moved past, knife and bear spray in hands in case (not that either would have definitely helped but gives you a psychological boost) never saw it again. Incidentally, this was right around the time when a wolverine was spotted around near the cabin there, so I was actually looking out for that while around the area.

How's this............have had two encounters with the big kitty's and they both involved a serious pucker factor! stalking mountain lion.jpg
Woah, where did you get that shot?
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

nyker wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:13 pm Woah, where did you get that shot?
That one's from a trailcam
elcap5
14ers: 53  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elcap5 »

Yup, a trail-cam. Poor buck about to be the main entree' of the evening! My own two encounters were with a large male in the Santa Barbara back-country and a juvenile south of Lake Tahoe in winter. Don't really care to meet up with another one.......ever. Still pretty rare after 45+ years running around in the mountains.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

That's a great night shot at night - what type of trail cam?
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Scott P wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:37 am I have seen mountain lions several times while driving (Dinosaur NM and Highway 40 Craig to Steamboat Springs), but yesterday at sunset I saw my first one while hiking. It was at Lion Gulch near the homesteads. I guess I know how Lion Gulch got its name. Unfortunately, the mountain lion ran away too fast so I couldn't get a photo.
Nice. Much more exciting seeing one on foot compared to from a car, huh?
I have seen many and it a thrill. For some weird reason I've only seen a few bobcats- you's think it would be the opposite. go figure.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Here you go Rob.
DSC_4038.jpg
DSC_4038.jpg (137.2 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Seen near Walker Ranch, western Boulder Co..
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

Here is one from the north side of Poudre Canyon, we have a trail cam set up there. This is the only one we've ever caught, though neighbors in the area have captured at least a dozen on Ring cameras.
original.png
original.png (456.68 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
We have found bunches of deer carcasses, some which could probably be explained by hunters, but many with their racks left intact. Definitely keeps you watching over your shoulder while hiking around up there.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

I highly recommend the book "The Animal Dialogues" by Craig Childs. In it he recalls an amazing/scary encounter with a Mountain Lion at a watering hole. Unlike all other encounters he had, this one didn't flee but instead slowly walked towards him. In the end, what saved him was remaining fully calm and making sure he faced the lion 100%. The lion tried to circle around to his back side for obvious reasons but the author continuously circled to maintain his position facing the lion. In the end, the lion decided he wasn't worth the trouble and walked off.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

randalmartin wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:02 am I highly recommend the book "The Animal Dialogues" by Craig Childs.
Great book! All his seem to be.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mtmco4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtmco4 »

this is my best mountain lion picture ever taken via Trail Camera - Is only time I got four mountain lions in one picture.

nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

wow, that's pretty amazing
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Alpineair wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:42 am Here you go Rob.
DSC_4038.jpg
Seen near Walker Ranch, western Boulder Co..
alpineair, is that a trail cam , or are you that close?? :shock: