You Know You're a Mountaineer When...

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Re: You Know You're a Mountaineer When...

Post by CoHi591 »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:12 am
greenonion wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:26 pm Your spouse is more patient and understanding than you’ll ever really realize
Alternatively, even your most distant relatives finally quit asking when you’re going to bring someone home for the holidays after your repeated explanations that you’re already married to the mountains and have neither the time nor the inclination for an affair.
Or when you open first dates with a disclaimer that the mountains will always come first, working out for the mountains will always come second, and weekends are all already booked from May through October, non-flexible.

Wonder why there aren't many second dates...
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

...you stare at the stone facade of a fireplace in a ski lodge or hotel and figure it'd go free at 5.9. No pro placements, so 5.9R.

-Tom
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

…hiking in jeans and a cotton shirt is reckless and stupid, but scrambling unprotected up a rock face where you're one slip away from injury/death is just considered "exposure" (bonus points if there's snow and you're wearing crampons/trusting your life to a few tiny steel points).
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

...you sneak out of happy hour cuz you have to climb in the morning.
...you prefer parking at Auraria campus for a Rockies game.
...and you take the stairs instead of the escalators.
...you bring nothing on a hike with friends because its ONLY a few miles.
...you think you can beat your coworkers down from the 12th floor by taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
...women in makeup look really weird.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

When you get a whiff of someone's perfume you're reminded of toilet cleaner.

You wouldn't dream of getting a pedicure to remove those calluses because you've been cultivating that precious foot armor for years.

All the trails are closed due to a pandemic and you don't even care 'cause where you're going, you don't need trails.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

...your toilet paper flushing mechanism is a Bic lighter (above treeline only of course!)

...a top priority on mountain trips becomes figuring out where and how the restroom occurs above 11k feet in broad daylight

(Maybe this should be its own thread. I’ve either rid myself completely of any future 14er.com hiking partners or endeared them due to sympathetic reasons)
Last edited by greenonion on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

susanjoypaul wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:34 am All the trails are closed due to a pandemic and you don't even care 'cause where you're going, you don't need trails.
"We don't need no stinking trails!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

(jk, trails are a gift from heaven when you've done a bunch of bushwhacking)
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

When you read news stories about achievements in Mountaineering/climbing/general outdoorsing just to see what they get wrong about the achievement.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

...Jay521’s signature/quote line literally becomes your sacred mantra
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

... you find the exploits of Steve House and Kilian Jornet more interesting than those of Lebron James.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

The entire family has LoJ accounts. And yes, that includes the dogs.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

...your friends and family are astounded when there's no trail to the top (or even at all), your response is a shrug.

...you start caring more about distance and elevation gain than the YDS rating.

...a side trip to a mountain adds "only" a couple hours each way.

...your spouse is just waking up when you're already at the trailhead or even the summit.
Scott P wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 pm When the weekdays at work are when you recover for the weekends.
+1
Snow_Dog_frassati wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:48 am ...you can drive almost any highway through the mountains and see something you've climbed.
+1