What do you guys do for work/careers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shsdawg58
14ers: 44 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What do you guys do for work/careers?

Post by shsdawg58 »

lordhelmut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:47 pm
shsdawg58 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 pm I own a gun shop in Nashville, TN. This allows me to get out to CO once a year to have some fun. Prior to the gun ship, I was a financial advisor at Merrill Lynch, and prior to that a police officer.
Is this Hickok45?
Lol. No, but he is a customer of ours.
shsdawg58
14ers: 44 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shsdawg58 »

pvnisher wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:51 pm Itenerant death dealer.
Funny you mention this. I did score a Polytech 56s-2 AK47 out of a shop in Lakewood just prior to heading to the DIA after completing the Chicago Basin 4 last summer. I made enough profit on that one gun to cover my flight and food during my week long trip.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:51 am
Ptglhs wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 am JBrow, I think the quora partners program on another website would be ideally suited for your brand of asking inane questions to people who don't care.
Dude, you've been public about your struggles with employment. Seeing what others do and still maintain a mountaineering lifestyle should be inspiring to you.
Maybe get some ideas from this thread vs. wishing for a Thanos-esque solution where half the planet dies and you can easily fill someone else's void.
"12ersRule cannot exist without constantly revolutionizing the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant revolutionizing of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish 12ersRule epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind."
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Dave B wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:19 am
Jesse M wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:42 pm
Dave B wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:21 pm I promote satanism and partake in homosexual drug fueled orgies atop piles of tax payer money while slowly caressing my nipples with an autographed first edition of Das Kapital.

A.K.A. scientist researching climate change impacts on mountain ecosystems and water resources
This response is troubling to me. It is the exact reason people have little faith in your science, you dont even trust it. How insulting you are to any opposition, this is science in 2021... :thumbdown:
I'm going to make an assumption and propose a question, Jesse.

Assumption: you voted for the last president, but not the current one.

Question: How can people, who spent fours years whole-heartedly supporting a bombastic antagonist with a "F*ck your feelings" approach to governance, feel they're now owed some manner of kindness, rationality, and consideration?
I am going to make an observation and then provide evidence, Dave.

Observation: Dave B is an overpaid government climate change activist, pretending to be a scientist.

Evidence: His posts in this thread... :shock:
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Jesse M wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:53 am
Dave B wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:19 am
Jesse M wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:42 pm

This response is troubling to me. It is the exact reason people have little faith in your science, you dont even trust it. How insulting you are to any opposition, this is science in 2021... :thumbdown:
I'm going to make an assumption and propose a question, Jesse.

Assumption: you voted for the last president, but not the current one.

Question: How can people, who spent fours years whole-heartedly supporting a bombastic antagonist with a "F*ck your feelings" approach to governance, feel they're now owed some manner of kindness, rationality, and consideration?
I am going to make an observation and then provide evidence, Dave.

Observation: Dave B is an overpaid government climate change activist, pretending to be a scientist.

Evidence: His posts in this thread... :shock:
got em
Make wilderness less accessible.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 12 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

currently pursuing a career as a dog money millionaire
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Lift mechanic at Snowmass. Hoping to get my 3G welding test done this summer.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

tmud wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 am currently pursuing a career as a dog money millionaire
I'm up a bit. Lol. Got in pretty late at $0.12
And only put in like $200.
The big gamble is when do you sell off a joke stock?
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

shsdawg58 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 pm I own a gun shop in Nashville, TN. This allows me to get out to CO once a year to have some fun. Prior to the gun ship, I was a financial advisor at Merrill Lynch, and prior to that a police officer.
Nashville gang :)

Anyway, as a 16 year old just finishing his sophomore year and going into community college, I am choosing not to work at a job for the time being. However, Biden's raise of minimum wage would double my wages were I to work at a low end job such as a fast food restaurant. So, I'll likely wait until 2022 if that bill has a good chance at passing.
Be the best you that you can be.
jmanner
14ers: 58  29  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

ker0uac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am I haven't been inspired yet by anybody's "means of paying bills" here yet, with maybe a couple of exceptions... I don't subscribe to the idea that you need to find a job you love... You just need to find something that you are good at, that doesn't require >6-8hrs/day, and that can pay your bills... This obsession wit loving every second of your life is so annoying and only makes life more difficult
I think exactly 0% of the people in this thread are looking to impress you.

In retort: having a job you don’t hate, permits you time with the people in your life AND allows you personal time in the mountains is a nice luxury.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  8  2 
13ers: 109 46 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Col_Forbin »

Teacher.

Summer break is nigh!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Jbrow327 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:44 pm To be able to support your mountaineering lifestyle, what do you guys do?
Jbrow327: what do you do? (Sorry if it’s buried in the mire of this thread that I haven’t completely read)