First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coclimber2
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (4)

First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by coclimber2 »

Hi All-

Today I took my first attempt at a big climb. I'm brand new to big mountain hiking/climbing and I've been doing short 3-5 mile hikes with moderate vertical gain and needed to amp it up. I attempted to summit Bald Mountain in Breckenridge. It is a class 2 and sits at 13,684' with a couple of false summits.

I'm writing to get some inspiration from my fellow climbers. I didn't reach the summit because of many reasons. I was ill prepared (bad shoes, poor planning), the winds were high, and I was exhausted from a long week at work. When I made the call to turn around I was so disappointed in myself. I know that 2,700 feet for my first big climb is something to be proud of, and I know that turning around before reaching summit is OK too, but I'm still a little disappointed that I didn't make the final 484' to the top.

Any first time stories that can help encourage me to try again? Is this a normal first time experience? Tell me it gets easier (or rather, that I'll get better?)!

Thanks,
Sarah
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by dpage »

While I don't have an inspirational story of overcoming great difficulties with the 14ers, I did try to keep in mind the ultra mantra of "It never always gets worse."
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

You won't find anyone here with meaningful experience who hasn't turned around multiple times. It's part of the game, and actually a mark of knowing your limits, which some have to learn the hard way.
Find some comfy shoes, and get back out there! After a few hikes you'll start getting a feel for what works and what doesn't, and Bald is still there waiting for you. But by no means be discouraged! Just watch the weather and bring your 10 essentials, and it might not be a bad idea to find some partners who have some experience under their belt and are patient if you need to go slow.
We've all started out pretty ignorant, and some of us still are in many ways. Nobody starts out having it all figured out. Here's a good recent thread for inspiration:
https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51282
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
wyyld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wyyld »

It took me 3 tries to get my first 14er. I have done 8 altogether and have turned back multiple times for various reasons. Part of the game.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." - John Muir
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Sarah,

My first true mountain climb attempt was, no kidding, also on a bald summit, Santa Fe Baldy. As I struggled up the broad east ridge, I was trying to calculate my abysmal ascent pace versus the waning evening sunlight. Finally, probably not more than 800 vertical feet from the summit, I called it. I was in brand new boots, 14 years old, alone, in October snow up to my knees at times. With no headlamp (I didn't even know they existed) a successful summit would have meant a lone, dark descent to my tube tent in the trees far below.

I look back on that decision now and have zero regrets, a good call. Don't be so hard on yourself, sounds like you made a good call as well. The mountains will be there. A bit more preparation and you will make your summit. Good luck, be safe!

-Tom.
Wundermarmot
14ers: 5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wundermarmot »

I was fortunate that on my first 14er attempt I met a couple of experienced climbers. Together we climbed the NW ridge of Ellingwood Point. :shock: We became good friends and have climbed several other 14ers since that day. But there have been a couple of times when I had to turn back before the summit due to bad weather and once just because I ran out of steam before making the summit! :oops: Those three summits were still waiting the next time I tried and I climbed each one on second attempt. There's no shame in turning back if you don't feel comfortable on the attempt. Try again later and usually you will be successful. :-D
Rwright1953
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rwright1953 »

Sarah:

Great start so just keep getting out there. Most hikers will help you if you have questions and you can count on help if you are in trouble. Planning is important and there is no substitute for experience, which you get only one way. Get back out there.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

It doesn't get easier, but you can condition yourself so it doesn't hurt quite as much. It's worth the effort - I enjoy reaching the top of any mountain, whether 14er or otherwise.

I attempted my first 14er in 1989, ill-prepared, fearful of heights and not in condition. I turned around, freaked-out after crawling across the Narrows on Longs, about 200' short of the summit. On my third attempt, I conquered my fears with experience and better condition in 2010. My son was with me that day and went through the same thing I did in 1989. He kept going, maybe because he had someone who understood what he was going through with him. That's something you can do to improve your chance of success - go with someone who has overcome the things that you are struggling with - there are many people out here who love hiking/climbing and will be happy to help you.

This summer, I'm hoping to finish the 14ers. Hard to believe it possible after the less than impressive start I had.

You can do it! One step at a time.
Aim high to end high
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Having turned back, this will give you the determination for next time to prepare and persevere to summit. Of course if the weather is bad, etc. it's never summit or bust, but you will be more determined next time.

Enjoy the addiction!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

I too failed my first two attempts (Massive, Quandry). I think the biggest setback was simply not being MENTALLY prepared. I read that Massive was 'an easy walkup'. Well, yes, in a sense it is as route finding and technical expertise were not issues. However, easy it wasn't and we had to turn around from both exhaustion (but I think we would have made it) and time ticking off. Good decision as not long after we turned around the mountain shook with thunder and lightning. I've learned a lot from failure and success both. Knowing before you go, weeks in advance, that this is going to be a difficult thing helps me immensely. Thinking something is going to be a breeze and then finding out its not is discouraging. Expect and prepare for the worst, most difficult thing you'll ever do.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I've had to turn around on quite a few peaks: 4 tries on elbert to get a summit - one turn around because my partner wasn't feeling well and two turn backs due to unexpected thunderstorms. 3 tries for Humboldt this winter, once I got over treeline and the wind was too much on the ice, the other time I didn't even get that far. I turned back from Ellingwood when I was at 12,800ft in the C2 couloir because I was getting low on food (I'm diabetic).

The mountains will still be there, it's much better to turn back than to keep pushing in deteriorating conditions or poor health or with inadequate gear. "Failure is made of lessons learned," is a good motto. I may not have reached the summit but I did learn more about gear and conditions. I also got to spend some time in the gorgeous mountains getting great exercise. :)

I'm sure you'll get it next time. Hit up the forum if you want a himing partner/group. A lot of people here love to help others get their 1st summit on a peak.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

I was turned around twice before I summitted Princeton, which is a long climb but not what most would call a difficult mountain. I honestly believe it is better to get turned around once early in your climbing career. Otherwise it is possible to develop a mentality that "I never turn around without summiting" which could eventually be tragic.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6