It's Getting Harder to Breathe on Mount Everest

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 2
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: It's Getting Harder to Breathe on Mount Everest

Post by timisimaginary » Mon May 03, 2021 5:01 pm

cottonmountaineering wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:20 pm
the difference between the amount of oxygen allocated to nepali citizens is 0 whether the expeditions ran or not (well, actually, sherpas will be using oxygen for the climb)

the rest is bad press IMO
i don't understand what you're trying to say. the oxygen at EBC is owned by someone. whether that's the climbing companies, or the individual climbers, it belongs to someone. if whoever owns that oxygen decided to donate it to a hospital in Kathmandu instead of using it for climbing, are you saying someone like the gov't would confiscate it, or that the hospital wouldn't actually use it for some reason, or they'd use it on foreigners/tourists instead of nepalis?
social distancing since the day i was born...
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 57
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO » Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 am

Give it up already. If people all of a sudden quit climbing Everest I'd highly doubt there'd be any more oxygen at the local hospitals. CM is right, the climbing partly drives the Nepal economy.

There are plenty of people in the world suffering. Something like half the world lives on $2 a day. If you are concerned donate to a charity. World Vision is a good one, more efficient then the U.N.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
docinco
14ers: List not added

Post by docinco » Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 am

might want to check out DZI foundation. i donate to them.
timisimaginary
14ers: 2
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary » Mon May 10, 2021 12:08 pm

the oxygen shortage has officially hit Nepal: https://www.nepalitimes.com/banner/nepa ... -o2-quest/

Nepal Mountaineering Association is requesting climbers bring back their empty canisters to assist with oxygen shortage: https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/bri ... t-climbers
social distancing since the day i was born...