USFS Land in Front Range Closed

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: USFS Land in Front Range Closed

Post by kingshimmers »

ndrew wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 am What are people's thoughts on hiking from a trailhead that is open, but the peak you are going to is on the closure line? I am looking at doing a 13er, Mount Edwards tomorrow. The trailhead and trail which starts in Summit County is open, but technically the peak is on the Clear Creek/Summit county border and thus half of it is closed. I'm not trying to be inconsiderate or anything, but I would also like to go hiking in an area that is a bit separated from the fires.
Are you coming up the SW ridge from Peru Creek to Argentine Pass? As long as you're not dropping to the north of that ridge, I would personally think it's okay since you are on the border and never actually cross. As long as your intent isn't finding a loophole to the closure and instead honestly trying to avoid the closed area, I think you're good.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
ndrew
14ers: 33 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ndrew »

kingshimmers wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 am
ndrew wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 am What are people's thoughts on hiking from a trailhead that is open, but the peak you are going to is on the closure line? I am looking at doing a 13er, Mount Edwards tomorrow. The trailhead and trail which starts in Summit County is open, but technically the peak is on the Clear Creek/Summit county border and thus half of it is closed. I'm not trying to be inconsiderate or anything, but I would also like to go hiking in an area that is a bit separated from the fires.
Are you coming up the SW ridge from Peru Creek to Argentine Pass? As long as you're not dropping to the north of that ridge, I would personally think it's okay since you are on the border and never actually cross. As long as your intent isn't finding a loophole to the closure and instead honestly trying to avoid the closed area, I think you're good.
Yes, Southwest Ridge through the route you described. I don't plan on proceeding anywhere else other than the summit of Edwards and will return to the trail head at Peru creek. Basically, the 8 mile hike on the Summit County side of the mountain. Of course, should the National Forest Service also close Summit County, I will cancel plans.
"What smells like blue?"
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

Looks like they just added the Sulphur Ranger District to the closure...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news ... 9_bdm6Vwvw
Attachments
2020-10-23 12_20_10-SulphurClosure.png
2020-10-23 12_20_10-SulphurClosure.png (571.86 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
"Be the beta you wish to find."
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

all public land in Clear Creek is closed. don't be a jerk...

https://1ogbvg1q4rd1kzphf2rul4ri-wpengi ... 3-2020.pdf
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:56 pm
all public land in Clear Creek is closed. don't be a jerk...

https://1ogbvg1q4rd1kzphf2rul4ri-wpengi ... 3-2020.pdf
He's staying on the open side of the National Forest. What he's proposing is totally legal. He's not being a jerk for following the law. It's analogous to driving 75 miles an hour when the speed limit is 75.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

Ugh sorry, I have poor reading comprehension. I thought he was starting on the summit side and hiking into the ccc side carry on...
ndrew
14ers: 33 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ndrew »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 pm Ugh sorry, I have poor reading comprehension. I thought he was starting on the summit side and hiking into the ccc side carry on...
It's all good and a moot point anyway. I took a closer look at the weather and I am not dealing with 65 gusts or 40mph sustained winds tomorrow. So it looks like I am sleeping in!
"What smells like blue?"