Wheeler Peak, NM

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 215 37
Trip Reports (21)

Wheeler Peak, NM

Post by Will_E »

Anyone familiar with doing Wheeler this time of year? Best route, any road closures that add distance? Looking at it for next week sometime. Thanks.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wheeler Peak, NM

Post by Above_Treeline »

Did you just see my post in the other thread lol? I did it in summer but there's houses up there past ski area and a big parking lot I have doubts it's going to be closed. No idea on snow.

I went straight up by the lake, also there's Bull of the Woods th (nearby) route. That's like 17 miles or something vs 7-8 for the more direct steeper trail
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I’ve climbed Wheeler a bunch as I live in NM. The most straight forward route this time of year is from Williams Lake. The road will be open to the TH. There should be a boot packed trail to the lake. A hundred yards before the lake you take a left into the trees. This section may be boot packed or not. Once in the basin I usually just go straight up aiming for the ridge as the summer trail is snow covered in sections. Expect snow and talus hoping in the basin. You could also do Bull of the Woods which longer. I would bring snow shoes and spikes. You may or may not need them. Some friends just did and it is holding some snow judging from the pictures they posted. Enjoy.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Post by jasayrevt »

+ 1 to desertdog's comments. Lisa and I climbed it via this well-traveled line earlier during spring, 2020. It was another favorite, memorable 13er trip for many great reasons.

As mentioned, about one-hundred yards before Williams lake, there is a key left turn up into the trees
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I decided to do Bull of the Woods in late Spring. I choose to do this alt because the shorter alternative that Desertdog & Jason (+2) mentions tends to have more people. Nothing wrong with that specifically, I just heard that Bull is a scenic/pretty trail from a buddy who worked at Taos Brewery and thought it would make for a nice, different approach. But it is long. Lots of solitude.
From Wheeler, you can loop the whole Taos Valley over to Kachina Peak and descend one of the ski runs back to the lodge or lake.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I did the basin loop in summer and would recommend if conditions are good but be wary descending the steep active ski runs off kachina in winter, gets a couple more ranked peaks, a scenic scrambly ridge up Fairchild, of course NM closed now. No crowds on those other peaks, just a half day circuit.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I went up Bull of the Woods and down Williams lake in Nov of 2017. The ascent was pretty mellow. There wasn't enough snow for skiing and I didn't see anyone until I hit the summit. I thought the basin at tree line on Bull of the Woods was very pretty. There wasn't enough snow for flotation, but that's highly variable. Coming down the Williams Lake approach felt more like a Peak in Colorado, as opposed to the Ascent which felt more like an easier stroll. With packed snow it'll be slippery so definitely take along some traction.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Maybe a bit OT but gold peak is supposed to have a lot of prominence and I think that's bull of the woods TH. I got the Hiking New Mexico book, it mentions Gold Peak. But it was written before the more direct route so only lists Bull of the Woods for Wheeler
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Above_Treeline wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am Maybe a bit OT but gold peak is supposed to have a lot of prominence and I think that's bull of the woods TH. I got the Hiking New Mexico book, it mentions Gold Peak. But it was written before the more direct route so only lists Bull of the Woods for Wheeler
you mean Gold Hill. can be hiked from several directions. one of my favorite peaks.
Last edited by disentangled on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

shelly+ wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am
Above_Treeline wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am Maybe a bit OT but gold peak is supposed to have a lot of prominence and I think that's bull of the woods TH. I got the Hiking New Mexico book, it mentions Gold Peak. But it was written before the more direct route so only lists Bull of the Woods for Wheeler
lol you mean Gold Hill. can be hiked from several directions. one of my favorite peaks.
I had a feeling it wasn't quite right lol but didn't have the book handy. If it really is that good then hoping to get up there more.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The road that goes between the main village and Williams Lake TH is a steep dirt road, not really rough at all, but if its icy you might not get up in a 2WD vehicle. I think its even labeled as 4WD in winter. I've done the full basin loop for Wheeler twice, once from Bull of the Woods and once from Williams Lake and will echo the comments about descending Kachina. You go through some of the resorts steepest ski terrain and avalanches would be a concern. I hiked in the area last November around this time and Kachina had snow on it, I was across the valley on some other peaks that were dry. The ridge for the loop hike is really fun with a nice mix of some easy scrambling scattered throughout.

Gold Hill was nice too, pretty gentle above treeline and has nice views. You can do a loop with Long Canyon (splits off the Bull of the Woods trail, same trailhead) if you want some variety. Lobo via Yerba Canyon was fun too, steep trail nice summit.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

A group of us went to the Wheeler Lake TH midday on November 1st (just to check the ski area out). We had decided before our trip that we would rather hike the mountain with either less snow or more snow (very different ideas within the group). The drive up to the TH is indeed a bit steep & muddy but no clearance issues. There are plenty of houses up there - I'm sure it gets a fair amount of plowing done. My advice is to play with the Taos webcams to check out the current conditions.
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!