Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blakhawk
Posts: 118
Joined: 10/27/2014
14ers: List not added

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by blakhawk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:58 am

@Highpilgrim... If your gonna repeat Ellingwood consider going up from Zapata when C2 has snow top to bottom if you've never been that way before. The south Zapata creek basin is gorgeous too,and avoids that road...unless that's your kinda zen. Lol

Jus my one cents worth
Dayute
Posts: 55
Joined: 8/13/2017
14ers:summits41 winter1 
13ers:summits3 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by Dayute » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 am

So how does the 3000 foot rule translate to smaller peaks? Does it go down or stay the same? Ive been hiking a lot along the Front Range lately. Should I start Genesee Peak (8278') from a low spot in Denver? Do I have to start in Kansas for Mount Morrison (7878')? I know most wouldn't waste their time on such small peaks but I'm putting together a Jefferson County list and I want it done right. I'd like to be able to brag about it in public without being called out.
pvnisher
Posts: 1400
Joined: 9/29/2006
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by pvnisher » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:24 am

You know how 13er folks are even snobbier than 14er people?
Well, those 7er people are cray cray.
User avatar
OldTrad
Posts: 216
Joined: 2/12/2017
14ers:summits36 
13ers:summits9 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by OldTrad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:25 am

Dayute wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 am
So how does the 3000 foot rule translate to smaller peaks?
Here’s where this thread officially goes to h**l

Rational answer: it doesn’t. It’s an arbitrary rule that some people worry about way too much (unless you care about FKTs)

Irrational answer: Since the “3,000 ft Rule” is embedded in stone and can be found in the Dead Sea scrolls, for each 8er, 9er, ... maintain the same ratio as for the 14er “Rule”. E.g., for an 8er (8,000 ft)
3,000/14,000 = X/8,000 X = 1,7000 ft (rounded down, but purists should not round)
Aphelion
Posts: 47
Joined: 10/22/2017
14ers:summits58 winter12 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by Aphelion » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 am

OldTrad wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:25 am

... X = 1,7000 ft ...
That's a lot of feet. Can I dig a single ~11k-ft deep hole to start from for all the 8'ers, or do I need to dig a new hole for each summit?
User avatar
OldTrad
Posts: 216
Joined: 2/12/2017
14ers:summits36 
13ers:summits9 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by OldTrad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 am

Aphelion wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 am
OldTrad wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:25 am

... X = 1,7000 ft ...
That's a lot of feet. Can I dig a single ~11k-ft deep hole to start from for all the 8'ers, or do I need to dig a new hole for each summit?
Absolutely and you will be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience. For “purity” I recommend a new hole for each peak.
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 807
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by greenonion » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:02 am

OldTrad wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 am
Aphelion wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 am
OldTrad wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:25 am

... X = 1,7000 ft ...
That's a lot of feet. Can I dig a single ~11k-ft deep hole to start from for all the 8'ers, or do I need to dig a new hole for each summit?
Absolutely and you will be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience. For “purity” I recommend a new hole for each peak.
Or use the same hole for all peaks. That ought to help get 3000 feet on most hikes.
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...Keith Richards
RobLowe
Posts: 81
Joined: 7/1/2014
14ers:summits58 ski6 winter31 
13ers:summits157 winter3 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by RobLowe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 am

Dayute wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 am
I'd like to be able to brag about it in public without being called out.
I’m really hoping this is a joke. If bragging is your motivation, you should probably rethink about the fundamental question: what is motivating me to do this? I can tell you right now, zero people will care that you “took down” the Jeffco high points.
A man who has no imagination has no wings
Dayute
Posts: 55
Joined: 8/13/2017
14ers:summits41 winter1 
13ers:summits3 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by Dayute » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 am

RobLowe wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 am
Dayute wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 am
I'd like to be able to brag about it in public without being called out.
I’m really hoping this is a joke. If bragging is your motivation, you should probably rethink about the fundamental question: what is motivating me to do this? I can tell you right now, zero people will care that you “took down” the Jeffco high points.
What if I were to do all 26 Jefferson Counties? Care now?
RobLowe
Posts: 81
Joined: 7/1/2014
14ers:summits58 ski6 winter31 
13ers:summits157 winter3 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by RobLowe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 am

Nope. All that matters is if you care. Seeking others’ approval is not a satisfying game to play.
A man who has no imagination has no wings
User avatar
12ersRule
Posts: 1849
Joined: 6/18/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits134 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by 12ersRule » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:47 am

RobLowe wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 am
I’m really hoping this is a joke. If bragging is your motivation, you should probably rethink about the fundamental question: what is motivating me to do this? I can tell you right now, zero people will care that you “took down” the Jeffco high points.
The JeffCo ranked peak list crushes the 14ers in degree of difficulty.

The Castle - YDS 5.4.
Sheeprock - 5.5.
South Sheeprock 5.5
"Bishop Rock" - 5.5
Chair Rocks - 5.10-
Cheesman Mountain 5.9

Raleigh Peak - I've read this is no joke as a class 4 either.

Numerous scrambling opportunities and private property issues.
RobLowe
Posts: 81
Joined: 7/1/2014
14ers:summits58 ski6 winter31 
13ers:summits157 winter3 

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by RobLowe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:49 am

12ersRule— I am not questioning whether it is an accomplishment; it unquestionably is!

I am questioning the motivation behind the accomplishment. That is, wanting to brag.
A man who has no imagination has no wings
Post Reply