James Peak Wilderness - Heart Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zipp83
Trip Reports (0)

James Peak Wilderness - Heart Lake

Post by zipp83 »

HI All,

My buddy and I are planning a trip to James Peak wilderness, we thought about going to Heart Lake and set up camp and hike the surrounding area in the upcoming days. Using my GPS map (All Trails) I see that there is a trail to get there via South Boulder Creek (Moffat Tunnel East Portal Parking lot) but we found another trail that I dont know much about and that is the Rogers Pass trail that goes from the James peak Wildernes Trailhead located on Highway 80 south towards South Boulder Creek Trail.. Has anyone here been on that trail?

Another potential camping spot would be Clayton lake but Im not sure that we can get a good campsite setup...

Thanks
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Re: James Peak Wilderness - Heart Lake

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

I’m not familiar with camping options in that area, but have done quite a few day trips.

The Rogers Pass Trail is a nice trail from both sides. If you do go from the west (the Winter Park/Rollins Pass/Corona Pass/Grand County Road 149 side, depending on which map you’re consulting), you’ll be starting just about at treeline, which means less elevation gain to the pass than you’d have from the Boulder/Rollinsville/East Portal side, but if you are dropping down to Heart Lake from there, you would have to deal with some uphill on the way back to your car.

Last time I drove up the Rollins Pass Road from the west side, I thought the road was slightly rougher than the road to East Portal, but that was several years ago. I also recall the west side being a bit less crowded, but that, too, may have changed.

What I can tell you is that the whole area is a great place to be. If you’re into railroad history, the road follows the path of the old Moffat Railroad, and there are plenty of old tracks and structures along it (in varying stages of disrepair, so approach at your own risk), plus the remnants from the town of Corona. A short ways south of Rogers Pass is James Peak; north of Rollins Pass is Devil’s Thumb. The Continental Divide Trail goes over some scenic, rolling terrain in both directions.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with more information about the camping options.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
zipp83
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zipp83 »

Thank you for the reply. Does also anyone know the fishing regulations for James Peak Lakes?
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

all the info i found (as i am now also super interested in fishing this area- how could i not have thought of this before....) says no live fish for bait, and state bag limits apply, so 4 daily, 8 possession for trout. looks like they're mostly stocked with cutties. i'll be right behind you OP! have a great trip, the backpacking around heart lake and rogers pass lake is spectacular. also the route to james peak from east portal is exceptional
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
zipp83
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zipp83 »

Thanks Mate,

I have found the same article... If it's not posted on the lake then I would think that the state wide fishing regulation would apply.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Just went up to Rollins Pass trailhead this weekend. Just FYI, the google maps directions take you to a closed road. When it tells you to turn right onto 149 just turn left then connect to 80. Also the road is pretty rough. I was unable to get my Outback all the way up the road, higher clearance is needed. Lots of pickups and side-by-sides though.