Brad Gobright fatal climbing accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Brad Gobright fatal climbing accident

Post by dhgold »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:44 pm it can be a no brainer in a place like Yosemite ...
Not in my experience. The descents from all the Grade VI, V & IV routes I did in Yosemite were walk offs.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

The number of very experienced people who have rapped off the ends of their ropes, or not had harnesses doubled back, or weighted a rope that isn't actually through the anchor, or other "noob"/preventable mistakes is very high. Definitely speaks to the dangers of complacency and routine. It's really sad, and hopefully we all will take our time with these systems that are, in reality single point-of-failure systems with the consequences being as high as they come.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

pvnisher wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:51 am The number of very experienced people who have rapped off the ends of their ropes, or not had harnesses doubled back, or weighted a rope that isn't actually through the anchor, or other "noob"/preventable mistakes is very high. Definitely speaks to the dangers of complacency and routine. It's really sad, and hopefully we all will take our time with these systems that are, in reality single point-of-failure systems with the consequences being as high as they come.
We call this phenomenon “casual-itis”. Definitely a thing. I guess in climbing/mountaineering as in Zen “beginner’s mind” is a good guideline.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

justiner wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm
dhgold wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 pm
justiner wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 pm Can't rappel with a gri gri on a double strand rope ...
Yes you can.
https://www.climbing.com/gear/rappellin ... y-devices/

Anyways, this ain't a double-strand rope is it? It's a single strand, with a pull cord. Now you gotta bring a pull cord up a dozen+ pitches. And I guess then, what weighs more: a pull chord, or an ATC?

The same concept can be applied to a normal rope, where you tie a bight at the center, and form a block at the anchor. You're essentially creating a rappel line and a pull line, but out of the same rope.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.