Lead King Basin recent conditions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Lead King Basin recent conditions

Post by zootloopz »

Hellooooo has anyone been up this way since the last conditions report in early June? Is the road still blocked?

Looking to get Hagerman or snowmass s ridge!

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhea ... hparm=er06
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Lead King Basin recent conditions

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

I was just looking at this TH and wondering the same given the TH update from a month ago (esp. for s ridge up Snowmass).
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

This was a reply to the same question on FB posted on July 5.
D91BFCD2-E41B-468F-8788-074994FA6150.jpeg
D91BFCD2-E41B-468F-8788-074994FA6150.jpeg (148.52 KiB) Viewed 727 times
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
zootloopz
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

Thank you! I always forget that so many folks use the Facebook groups.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

I haven't been on the LKB trail in a while, last run was in an SUV. Anyone know whether a full size extended cab truck w/ short bed can make the trail? I remember one narrow portion that was a little sketch .
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
cougar
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

XterraRob wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:19 pm I haven't been on the LKB trail in a while, last run was in an SUV. Anyone know whether a full size extended cab truck w/ short bed can make the trail? I remember one narrow portion that was a little sketch .
We rode up the high road in an extended cab Tacoma last year with no issues. There were some other similar type trucks up there. The road seemed better than I expected, just a few rough spots, but still took an hour from Marble.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Is there another comparable road to Lead King that would give an idea of it? Uncompaghre or South Colony or ? Thanks!
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:28 pm Is there another comparable road to Lead King that would give an idea of it? Uncompaghre or South Colony or ? Thanks!
IIRC It's just really narrow in some spots, but definitely recommend 4WD. Nothing crazier than any other 4WD 14er trailhead.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

XterraRob wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:46 pm
E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:28 pm Is there another comparable road to Lead King that would give an idea of it? Uncompaghre or South Colony or ? Thanks!
IIRC It's just really narrow in some spots, but definitely recommend 4WD. Nothing crazier than any other 4WD 14er trailhead.
I recall it being a good bit steeper and more narrow in places than, for instance South Colony. I just did South Colony again and was pretty relaxed the whole way - I recall gripping the wheel a bit tighter for LKB - though I did it in the dark which didn't help.

Also, when I did it there were some mind-blowingly deep ruts in the road at one spot - I steered my Jeep to straddle over one of the ruts and recall being concerned what would happen if I got stuck in a rut (lol).

Also I seem to remember a couple fairly tight, sightly steep switchbacks which might create more challenge for longer vehicles - but I think those switchbacks were fairly open as I recall.

Overall, nothing too crazy - certainly nothing on the level of Como, but I would rate it a little more engaging than South Colony.

Oh, and I made a note saying I imagine that road could be very, very ugly after a big rain (speculation based on the amount of dirt, deep ruts, etc)
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

XterraRob wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:19 pm I haven't been on the LKB trail in a while, last run was in an SUV. Anyone know whether a full size extended cab truck w/ short bed can make the trail? I remember one narrow portion that was a little sketch .
This is my first concern too with a Tundra. Thinking it is just too narrow for it but thinking maybe the lower road is better?
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

nmjameswilson wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:14 am
This is my first concern too with a Tundra. Thinking it is just too narrow for it but thinking maybe the lower road is better?
I've driven both roads in my RAM 1500. I had no issues on the upper road. On the lower road I parked about 1 mile short of the trailhead. There was a rock obstacle I wasn't sure I had the proper clearance for. I think it was doable though with a good line.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:41 am I've driven both roads in my RAM 1500. I had no issues on the upper road. On the lower road I parked about 1 mile short of the trailhead. There was a rock obstacle I wasn't sure I had the proper clearance for. I think it was doable though with a good line.
Thanks man I appreciate it.