Forum rules
This forum is read-only
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2014 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by 14erFred »

Tornadoman wrote:That was one exciting week on this website! Whether it is 58 peaks or 48 peaks does not diminish the accomplishment at all! Heal and rest up Andrew and team, you have earned it!
"In great attempts it is glorious even to fail." -- Gaius Cassius Longinus (85 - 42 BC).
However, neither Andrew nor his support team are "failures" in any meaningful sense of the word. Hail to the Victors!
Last edited by 14erFred on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

My 2 cents: A few people have told me that such attempts are stupid and crazy. These people are losers. As a species, we need people like Cave Dog, Homie and Andrew to raise the bar, show what is possible. In any field of endeavor, it is people with this mindset that allows us to advance. So, when those two most self defeating words, "I can't" enter your minds, think of these guys.

Thanks,
Dave
Stefan_G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stefan_G »

Yep, inspired enough to write my first blog post in almost 4 years...

Capitol Punishment on Hells Bells

A little story about my day in the Elks with Andrew.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Stefan_G wrote:Yep, inspired enough to write my first blog post in almost 4 years...

"It doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation." :(
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

ezabielski wrote:
Stefan_G wrote:Yep, inspired enough to write my first blog post in almost 4 years...

"It doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation." :(
Same here
Aardvark
14ers: 17 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Aardvark »

ezabielski wrote:

"It doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation."
Same here
alpspitze
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpspitze »

ezabielski wrote:

Same - Certainly am looking forward to reading this...
Stefan_G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stefan_G »

nsaladin wrote:
ezabielski wrote:

Same here
Sorry guys. Please try again. Haven't used that blogspot in so long, and we had it marked private.
RosieTheSummiter
14ers: 40 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by RosieTheSummiter »

Andrew- I was so looking forward to cheering you on at Bierstadt this morning - even had the "Rocky" theme and some cowbell ready to play on the iPhone for when you hiked by and some silly sparkly pom poms for some big-time cheering! But alas my Bierstadt hike got scrapped today, as well, because of a coolant leak on my car at Guanella Pass. But this pales in comparison to your events of late. You have given the entire 14er community a wonderful and positive experience to vicariously live through and inspiration to follow your steps how ever we are able, even if just one mountain at a time. You, Natalie and the team have taught your kids and the community not only the power in pursuit of goals but the realities of these endeavors and the hard decisions that sometimes MUST be made for the better long term outcome. For that, my friend, I eagerly applaud you and your family/team.
But really - 48 peaks in 9+ days (right?), with injury on the technical ones - DAMN!! That is incredible! Well done! I am sure there is a record to be extracted out of this somewhere (at the very least the number of posts on this one 14er.com thread alone! :-))
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
CS
"Don't get mad, get altitude."
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Just a note on compartment syndrome... recently a reporter for PBS had his arm amputated because of it after a simple injury.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew, Glad you are home safe. What an amazing effort.
Wise to call it off. Hopefully you'll try it again.
Thanks for the inspiration.

JQ
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Post by RobertKay »

I cannot imagine what sort of superhuman effort this took. What an amazing story and effort and courage. Congratulations!! Amazing!!
Peakmarker.com
alpspitze
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpspitze »

Wow! What an incredible story on the day in the Elks! The determination and strength you all showed as a team throughout this is one for the books!