Short hike to top of...?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BetzCO
Trip Reports (0)

Short hike to top of...?

Post by BetzCO »

Hello all,

I have a somewhat odd question for you. A family member who recently lost her dad is coming to visit me in the Boulder area this weekend. She has mentioned her desire to "hike to the top of a mountain" to spread some of her dad's ashes. She has never been at altitude and while she physically appears to be in decent shape, I don't believe she regularly exercises.

We're currently planning to head to RMNP and drive trail ridge road one day and Idaho Springs area the second day. Any suggestions for a shortish (1-2 mile?) hike that would allow her to feel a sense of accomplishment for reaching the summit? The last thing I want is to pick a hike that will be too hard for her and her have to quit.

Note, I'm not suggesting this needs to be a 14er, just something that feels like reaching the top.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Short hike to top of...?

Post by Scott P »

There are a lot of easy summits just of Trail Ridge. Some of them are Tombstone Ridge, Sundance Mountain, Trail Ridge Peak, and Fall River Mountain.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I took a friend of mine who had never climbed or even hiked much up Estes Cone in RMNP. There is a little scrambly part at the end but she managed it and certainly felt like she accomplished something...she still talks about it years later. The view from the top of Longs is incredible as well and there are some interesting mine ruins along the way as I recall.

If you're really looking for easy, you could go up to Loveland Pass and do Sniktau, Cupid and Grizzly. All or one. Grizzly is more work but the first two are just high altitude walks.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Chief Mountain. Not far from Idaho Springs. 1.5 miles one way. 1000ft elevation gain. Takes you to 11,700 ft. Awesome views. Easy TH access.