First 14ers - October

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aprb
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14ers - October

Post by aprb »

Re:
peter303 wrote: 2) Three day acclimatization. Hike something 10-11K day one, 12-13K day two, and 14er day three. This worked much better for me coming from sea level.
Even if you only have one day to acclimatize Mt. Sniktau would be a great warm up with easier driving and hiking.
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=2 ... type=13ers

You could also try Grizzly D and if you are feeling good follow the ridge to Torreys ...
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=2 ... type=13ers
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

That's a crazy photo
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

nmjameswilson wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice!!

I am staying the night at the trailhead the night before I hike so it sounds like that will help a lot as most have said to stay above 5000. I will probably avoid the meds and hope for the best and will turn around if I have issues.

Thanks again everyone ... I am excited to add this fun new hobby.
Understand, there us a parking area right off the interstate exit (Bakerville) that is referred to as the 2wd trailhead. 3 miles up is the 4wd trailhead. This road is awful. Many wonderful things about Colorado, their county road maintenance isn't one of them. It's third world driving. Was there last weekend with a new Ford Explorer and it was still difficult. There is a ravine running right through the road that I got stuck in for a bit. Some cars are parked below this so depending on what you're driving you may want to go no further.I believe it was about a mile from the 4wd trailhead. Think Disney's Indiana Jones Adventure ride.
Sleeping that high may not be a great idea. You may spend three quarters of your night gasping for air. Aside from that people come in with bright lights, slamming doors, and generally being disruptive from about 4am on.
It is not a haven for a good night's rest. Bring earplugs. A weekday in October may not be top bad though.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Rollie Free wrote:
nmjameswilson wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice!!

I am staying the night at the trailhead the night before I hike so it sounds like that will help a lot as most have said to stay above 5000. I will probably avoid the meds and hope for the best and will turn around if I have issues.

Thanks again everyone ... I am excited to add this fun new hobby.
Understand, there us a parking area right off the interstate exit (Bakerville) that is referred to as the 2wd trailhead. 3 miles up is the 4wd trailhead. This road is awful. Many wonderful things about Colorado, their county road maintenance isn't one of them. It's third world driving. Was there last weekend with a new Ford Explorer and it was still difficult. There is a ravine running right through the road that I got stuck in for a bit. Some cars are parked below this so depending on what you're driving you may want to go no further.I believe it was about a mile from the 4wd trailhead. Think Disney's Indiana Jones Adventure ride.
Sleeping that high may not be a great idea. You may spend three quarters of your night gasping for air. Aside from that people come in with bright lights, slamming doors, and generally being disruptive from about 4am on.
It is not a haven for a good night's rest. Bring earplugs. A weekday in October may not be top bad though.
Thank you for the reply ... I think I may sleep at a hotel after everything I have read and just drive up the road around 5-6 am. I have a Tundra so SHOULD be ok on the road. :-)
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

I did my first 14er in October of 2012..... Barr Trail up Pikes Peak, all 13 god-forsaken miles...

I was in similar condition to you, albeit I was a week from turning 34, but I was training for the KC Half Marathon later that month.

I was fine, you'll be fine.... just watch for Altitude symptoms, and sleep as high as you can. I'm far from a noob to colorado hiking, so I knew how I would react to the elevation, but if you don't that's the first place you can get in trouble. Second thing is come prepared for ANY weather. October is a crap-shoot, it may be a blizzard, it may be 85 degrees....

Regardless, GOOD LUCK!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Rollie Free wrote:
Gotta love out of state yahoos complaining about off highway roads in Colorado! According to the most current TH conditions...
TH conditions.JPG
TH conditions.JPG (45.7 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
the road is fine. If your Tundra has trouble, it will be due to operator error.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Getting a good night's rest is way more important than TRYING to sleep one night at altitude. The amount of acclimating your body does at rest will be minimal anyway. I swear folks who drive up to sleep at the trailhead get a placebo affect at most. I doubt it does much of anything. I'd stay below 10K and get some sleep. Hydration is also important. Go easy on drinks the night before. As others have said, take it easy and listen to your body. You should be just fine. Have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

rijaca wrote:
Rollie Free wrote:
Gotta love out of state yahoos complaining about off highway roads in Colorado! According to the most current TH conditions...

TH conditions.JPG the road is fine. If your Tundra has trouble, it will be due to operator error.
Quite the bag of insults and belittlement. You could try forming a disagreement without resorting to treating others like this.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
nmjameswilson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Thanks for the replies. I have booked a room in Idaho Springs for the night before the climb and should be in Denver the before the climb around 4pm.

I was wondering if I need a HEAVY jacket with me. I have four layers planned to include a puffed insulated jacket and North Face rain/wind jacket over everything. Is that good? If not any recommendations for a fair priced heavy top jacket.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Highly doubtful you would need an additional heavy jacket above what you already listed. In fact, odds are good that you will be removing layers as the sun rises and you get your heart pumping. One thing you get used to is adding & removing, adding & removing, layers throughout the hike as you get warm and your exposure to the wind changes.

If it is windy that day, a scarf or something to cover your face is a good idea.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

denvermikey wrote:Highly doubtful you would need an additional heavy jacket above what you already listed. In fact, odds are good that you will be removing layers as the sun rises and you get your heart pumping. One thing you get used to is adding & removing, adding & removing, layers throughout the hike as you get warm and your exposure to the wind changes.

If it is windy that day, a scarf or something to cover your face is a good idea.
Spot on.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
nmjameswilson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Outstanding and thank you!

I AM GETTING EXCITED!!!!