What a difference a year makes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

What a difference a year makes

Post by lodgling »

One year ago today it was very much winter up high. I miss the spring skiing stoke around here.

El D edit:
[YouTubeVideo] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LnjnK ... e=emb_logo[/YouTubeVideo]

Wilson group in a decade:
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprep ... trip=19400

Anyone getting out?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: What a difference a year makes

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I managed 3 new 13er descents this year on some good corn in and around the front range, other than that with Covid and Lack of snow down south whatnot just staying Close to home. Incredible the difference in snowpack and weather this year,
Especially down south
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

i think its time to put away the skis for the year, no spring snow storms :C
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Jones Pass area is still holding a lot of snow. Snowmobiles were up there today.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Indeed. Last year at this time I was 2 months recovering from shoulder surgery and was having trouble thinking I'd ever be back to normal. Moving was painful and I was shaking holding a soda can out in front of me, with some significant nerve damage meaning some of the muscles were still paralyzed.

This year I have some grinding and it's not entirely normal, but I can move it almost everywhere without pain and do 20 pullups.
What a difference.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

On 6/23/2019, we climbed Missouri in winter-like conditions and were treated to a powder day that felt like early-March.
This spring has had it's moments but overall sub-par and I'm about to switch gears myself.

CR from that day
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Clinton Peak area had a bunch of snow still in there on Saturday 5/30/20. I was mad I did not bring the splitboard.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:38 am On 6/23/2019, we climbed Missouri in winter-like conditions and were treated to a powder day that felt like early-March.
This spring has had it's moments but overall sub-par and I'm about to switch gears myself.

CR from that day
i skied missouri on saturday, was a fun one
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

There’s still plenty of snow up there in them hills, especially front range peaks north to East facing holding well, but I doubt I’m getting out again due to a trip to Kansas for a week or two.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I got out a few times, definitely had longer ski carries from trailhead to snow line than last year, thinner lines, and some funky snow. North facing routes seemed to not want to transition to spring, even had a rain crust on Sayres. Wet debris in some lines from the early May hot week, and now another hot spell with lack of freezes. And of course Covid closures. It was a weird spring. Probably could have gotten out more than I did, but had a few peak skis. Most of the snow conditions weren't great, but the lines themselves were fun.

Gore: Resolution, Bald, "West Deming", "Snow" and "Solitude"
Sawatch: Sayres, and some low angle touring near Minturn and Eagle when the resorts shut down.

I was down in the Monarch Pass area this past Saturday, no skis (figured it was too dry to be worth it). Aetna is done, 3 melted out rock stripes through the Grand and the apron is nothing but talus. Last year we skied it May 26 and had continuous snow until below the Boss Lake trailhead and a few more patches after that we could ski. Also skied Angel of Shavano last year May 27, directly off the summit until well back on the trail. This past weekend she only had one arm and her head was not attached to her body.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Definitely a very lackluster spring. Skied a few 13ers, but none of them were that great or memorable, and wasn't motivated for repeats. Lenawee's east face was probably a standout.
Wilbur Simmons
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wilbur Simmons »

Might get better next year, when the pandemic finally dies down.