What's the best type of training?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's the best type of training?

Post by Plugugly »

If you followed the TftNA book completely, you would need to workout about 15 to 18 hours a week. I think this book is helpful because it reminds me to vary my work, and that I can go for a 1 hour run instead of a 4 hour hike everyday. Strength is important. Flexibility and core are important. For me, getting above 13k once a week; hitting Mt Morrison or Shadow Cyn twice a week; and otherwise running, weights, core. Basketball with my kid would probably be my only non-climbing HITT. And I always stretch whatever muscles I've used.

And I drink a ton of water. BlahBlah that's just me, spouting opinion.

Rudy Can't Fail.
Last edited by Plugugly on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Scott P wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 am
Jbrow327 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:10 pm
Scott P wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:48 pm

You live in Salt Lake. You can climb a peak every day if you want.
True. But I don't have any winter ascent experience.
I'm looking for a good peakbagging "list" if you will. Something for a beginner like myself. 7ers, 8ers, etc.
I'm sure the Wasatch has plenty.
You have already been given a list of peaks several times that are next to SLC that require no winter experience. Why don't you go read the threads you already started and stop asking the same s
questions over and over again?
Why talk to him like you're a dick? You're usually one of the most helpful on here. Go back to bed.
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Jorts wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:11 am
Jbrow327 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm Other than fake it until you make it.
You can't climb peaks every day so how do you guys train for the mountains?
Strength training will make you relatively injury proof (I do it once or twice a week). Long slow distance will improve your cardio/engine whatever you want to call it. HIIT (short bouts of high intensity... like a series of 4 min fast 2 min recovery; or 30 seconds fast/one minute rest; etc.) will increase speed and efficiency. The ratio of long slow distance to HIIT should be around 80 to 20 of your total training volume or whatever works for the individual. Some people can absorb more intensity and/or volume than others.

It's all about consistency and building and not just jumping in to a 10+ hour week.

Weekend warrior types, often crunched on time, try to go hard for every workout to squeeze in as much as possible. That's a big pitfall. It leads to plateauing. These people are never fresh enough to go truly hard and they never absorb the gains of the work they put in. You want to keep your easy workouts truly easy and hard workouts hard.

Climb stairs, do hilly runs and hill repeats, throw on a heavy pack and slog up some hill. Work with what you have to emulate going uphill in the mountains.

There are no shortcuts. Top cyclists put in 25+ hours in the saddle per week. Besides the unemployed and professionals and psychos who don't sleep, I don't know anyone with that kind of time. Those of us with less time can still get pretty fit if we're consistent day to day.
+1
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

hellmanm wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:39 am
ker0uac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 am 3. Mental training is just as important - I don't know how to explain this one. Maybe you either have it or you don't. Can one learn mental resilience and endurance? Regardless of your training, you will often hit a mental wall. You might be cold. You might still be a little high from previous night's edibles. You might be irritated coz gas station in Leadville ran out of toilette paper. Can you still push through?
This one is huge. I had exercised my whole life when I started 14ers/13ers, but it's hard to prepare for going all day. It's easy enough to be fatigued after a night of poor sleep and 3000'+ of elevation, but having to be "on" for hours is not something you'll experience through regular workouts. Even if they're easy, try going on walks for 8-9 hours. They don't have to be grueling, but you'll get a better sense of how to handle the mental fatigue. Keep your pack on for those btw, and fill it as if you're going up a peak.
+1
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

justiner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:22 pm
CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 am This is how “fitness influencers” make a living on Instagram gege
I would pay attention to Scott and Steve; they’re pretty anti-that and their combined resumes prove they’re not talking trash to push bs.
+1
Rudy can't fail.
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

IMO you should train like a trail runner, those guys are in the best mountaineering shape of anyone (with some climbing mixed in depending on how technical your objectives are. You might not be trying to do Denali in a day, but those guys who can do Denali in a day would have zero trouble with the physical exertion of doing Denali in two weeks.

So long runs uphill. Though I have to say, I remember as a kid trying to run from my house up the goat trail on Sanitas without stopping, and I couldn't do it. This year I got into running on flat ground, and all of a sudden I could run to the top without stopping. Seems to me running on flat ground can be one component of trail running training, but ideally wouldn't be all of it.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

NathanRL wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:57 pm IMO you should train like a trail runner, those guys are in the best mountaineering shape of anyone (with some climbing mixed in depending on how technical your objectives are. You might not be trying to do Denali in a day, but those guys who can do Denali in a day would have zero trouble with the physical exertion of doing Denali in two weeks.

So long runs uphill. Though I have to say, I remember as a kid trying to run from my house up the goat trail on Sanitas without stopping, and I couldn't do it. This year I got into running on flat ground, and all of a sudden I could run to the top without stopping. Seems to me running on flat ground can be one component of trail running training, but ideally wouldn't be all of it.
I will say though, out of my uneducated opinion, that running often over long distances and ESPECIALLY ON HARD GROUND (which you didn't say, Nathan, you said trail) will burn muscle and will injure knees, shins.etc. Look at them stringy marathoners...
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:53 pm
justiner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:22 pm
CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 am This is how “fitness influencers” make a living on Instagram gege
I would pay attention to Scott and Steve; they’re pretty anti-that and their combined resumes prove they’re not talking trash to push bs.
Who and Who? I appreciate you all! Just because I make sny comments as a troll doesn’t mean I personally appreciate the input on here. Idgaf tbh
DWE
Rudy can't fail.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Here's what I do in a typical week...

Day1 Uphill Water Carry
Day 2 6 Mile Run
Day 3 Heavy Weight Training 1 hour plus
Day 4 Hike or Climb 6 plus hours
Day 5 Light Endurance Weight Training
Day 6 6 Mile Run
Day 7 rest or yoga

Check out www.uphillathlete.com, loads of training advice, plans, etc.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

NathanRL wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:57 pm You might not be trying to do Denali in a day, but those guys who can do Denali in a day would have zero trouble with the physical exertion of doing Denali in two weeks.
That's not necessarily true. First, specialized training will make you elite in one type of pursuit and okay in others, while less specialized training will make you above average in all similar pursuits. Having said that, training for Alpine-style mountaineering and expedition style mountaineering are quite different. You can excel in one and fail in the other. I like to see my body as an off-road vehicle. In off-roading, you must sacrifice HP for torque and vice-versa.
Plugugly wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm I will say though, out of my uneducated opinion, that running often over long distances and ESPECIALLY ON HARD GROUND (which you didn't say, Nathan, you said trail) will burn muscle and will injure knees, shins.etc. Look at them stringy marathoners...
I agree with that. I stay away from high impact sports and exercises. Genetics also play a role here. Going uphill engages your calves, better protecting your knees. But if you must/want to run on flat & hard ground, strong abs, glutes and quads are needed to reduce weight on your lower joints. Using my car analogy, you want to invest in great shocks and springs.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

desertdog wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:29 pm Here's what I do in a typical week...

Day1 Uphill Water Carry
Day 2 6 Mile Run
Day 3 Heavy Weight Training 1 hour plus
Day 4 Hike or Climb 6 plus hours
Day 5 Light Endurance Weight Training
Day 6 6 Mile Run
Day 7 rest or yoga

Check out www.uphillathlete.com, loads of training advice, plans, etc.
+1
Rudy can't fail.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:53 pm Idgaf tbh
Make wilderness less accessible.