Winter Backpacking Suggestions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
matthewhcbates
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Backpacking Suggestions

Post by matthewhcbates »

Good morning fellow mountaineers,

I have a friend coming in from Oregon and there has been a snag in my original itinerary, which is making me redo our week-long backpacking trip, starting this Thursday.

We will be doing the Wigwam trail out-and-back, veering south to the Goose Creek Trail in the Lost Creek Wilderness, as well as the Mt. Rosa via Pipeline trail in Cheyanne Canon (Colorado Springs).

I was hoping for some suggestions for other loops/out-and-backs, preferably avoiding National Parks. I have my state park pass, but dispersed camping is the name of the game. I live in the Springs and since our initial plans that were thwarted were in Estes, we have a ~2.5 hour driving circumference to work with.

We are both experienced in regards to winter camping and backpacking, if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

Matthew
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Winter Backpacking Suggestions

Post by Scott P »

Do you have snowshoes-skis?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
matthewhcbates
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matthewhcbates »

Just my microspikes, and were hoping that would be sufficient for most areas we are looking at.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

One of my favorite winter day trips from Colorado Springs is Pikes using the Craigs route.

Second favorite is Almagre from the Cripple Creek side (starting from the road closure
on 376 to McReynolds revevoir.) You can also walk up 379 to the top, but I prefer the
old school map and compass approach from 376.

Microspikes will probably be sufficient if there is (probably) a trench on the Craigs route.
Almagre (low avalanche probability but you need to check) is a different story. You can rent
snow shoes from REI for cheap.