Train to Needleton Reservations

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Train to Needleton Reservations

Post by greenonion »

timewarp01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm
Cygnus X1 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:57 pm Made our group reservation today. Was conservative with the exit date to allow for a weather day. The person I talked to said we could come out early provided seats were available. Has anyone here found they couldn't catch a ride back to Durango a day early due to no available seats? With 135 seats for climbing parties, it seems there wouldn't be a problem catching an earlier train but thought I'd ask here.
Last year I came out a day early and there were no seats but they let us stand in the middle between the benches on the open car.
Can confirm this. When making our reservations for this year they said if there were no seats we could stand. Pick your poison: stand after being on your feet a lot already or spend one more night near the tracks.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Thanks. If the weather ends up not being a problem, we'll have to decide whether we head back to Needleton and risk not getting a ride or staying in the basin another day and maybe climb Jupiter. At this point, no one in our group is chasing the Cents so it could go either way.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Cygnus X1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:34 am Thanks. If the weather ends up not being a problem, we'll have to decide whether we head back to Needleton and risk not getting a ride or staying in the basin another day and maybe climb Jupiter. At this point, no one in our group is chasing the Cents so it could go either way.
A few years ago, one of the D&SNGRR folks said "we'll make room for you" when I asked about returning on a different day than my ticket was for. Unlike timewarp01, I didn't have to stand.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

If you strategically plan your hike in miserable rainy weather, I can tell you from experience that you'll almost have the entire train all to yourself! :-D
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

As mentioned, they will make room for you on the return trip, even on holiday weekends.

It is worth mentioning though that the train isn't allowed to run when the fire danger reaches level 2. When that happens, you will have to walk out even if you have a ticket and reservation.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Cygnus X1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Hopefully we don't have to resort to Kenton's method. And I sure hope we're not in high fire danger restrictions in mid-July!
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Scott P wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 am As mentioned, they will make room for you on the return trip, even on holiday weekends.

It is worth mentioning though that the train isn't allowed to run when the fire danger reaches level 2. When that happens, you will have to walk out even if you have a ticket and reservation.
From the info I read, they shut down the steam train at level 2 and the diesel which allows wilderness access at level 4.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

disentangled wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:52 am
Scott P wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 am As mentioned, they will make room for you on the return trip, even on holiday weekends.

From the info I read, they shut down the steam train at level 2 and the diesel which allows wilderness access at level 4.
Didn't they finish converting all of their trains to diesel now? I don't think they have any more steam trains. If I'm mistaken they were converting them somehow to reduce the chances of causing fires.
I should be on a mountain
Cygnus X1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

The website still shows steam trains are running for the regular tourists but not if you are stopping at Needleton. Only diesel if getting off and on at Needleton.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. I believe they no longer have coal fired engines. They've all been converted to diesel. The steam engines are now powered by diesel and not coal.

I'm grateful I got to ride them back in the day when they were coal fired. A nostalgic experience :)
I should be on a mountain
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 pm Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. I believe they no longer have coal fired engines. They've all been converted to diesel. The steam engines are now powered by diesel and not coal.

I'm grateful I got to ride them back in the day when they were coal fired. A nostalgic experience :)
Agreed. Coal pairs well with cheap cigars.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 pm Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. I believe they no longer have coal fired engines. They've all been converted to diesel. The steam engines are now powered by diesel and not coal.

Their website has reservations for summer 2023 for both steam and diesel trains.