Planning next summer trip, july vs august

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sherby
14ers: 15 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Planning next summer trip, july vs august

Post by sherby »

Hi, we're planning to come back to our second trip this summer, like last year we'll concentrate on the Sawatch and the Front range (and those between). We need to decide between starting our trip between July 23th up to August 5th. We'll be in CO for 3 weeks (including the 2 day trip out and back from Montreal). So end of July - beg. of august or fully in august. Main decision point would be the weather, e.g. frequency of afternoon thunderstorms. Last year we did last 2 weeks of July and first week of august and we got almost perfect weather except a crazy hale storm while camping at Hoover pass. Any comments/questions/tips welcome.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Planning next summer trip, july vs august

Post by zootloopz »

The later you start into August the better your chances of good weather will be.

Early to mid June can be great pre-monsoon, just have to deal with late season snow. Mid to late June the monsoon picks up through July, and in my experience the monsoon is still present but is calming down from early to mid August. By mid August the monsoon should be gone, and you just have to deal with an early season snow storm generally the 2nd or 3rd week of September.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Its a crap shoot. Sure, later in August there's less possibility of storms, but that's not a guarantee. I've been caught in storms many times in August. BIG STORMS! Sneffels, Culebra, Uncompahgre, Tabeguache, Missouri, and the list goes on. I've also had lots of great weather in July. You'll be out for 2 weeks. Don't sweat the small stuff.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Sammy Hagar and Loverboy will be at red rocks on august 11th
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It also depends on which area you're going to. In the Front Range, peak storm season is July and early August, with late August a little drier while in the San Juans it tends to be later with August and September being the wettest months and thunderstorm season last into September. Early In the San Juans, early July tends to be drier than late August early September.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Just stay on east coast time and get really early starts and you'll miss the lion's share of the thunderstorms. It rarely rains all day, usually the storms are afternoon. I did my first 2 Colorado trips when I lived in the Burlington, VT area, hence my screen name. Stayed on east coast time so getting up at 4 or 5 was no big deal, because it was really 6 or 7 to me.
Best Regards
sherby
14ers: 15 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sherby »

jrbren_vt wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:25 pm Just stay on east coast time and get really early starts and you'll miss the lion's share of the thunderstorms. It rarely rains all day, usually the storms are afternoon. I did my first 2 Colorado trips when I lived in the Burlington, VT area, hence my screen name. Stayed on east coast time so getting up at 4 or 5 was no big deal, because it was really 6 or 7 to me.
That's exactly what we did last summer. On longer hike like the Holycross loop, we were a bit more anxious about it, this summer it will be La Plata and a couple others (Apostles traverse I guess).