FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JerJerBinks wrote: ↑Tue Apr 28, 2026 7:26 pm
Sherman is ... very underrated.
Never once have I heard this take
I guess it's all about perception. Often times our views or opinions of places are persuaded by the experiences we've had there. The few I've had there are dear to me.
I think standard ridge route, is just that, a ridge. It's a really cool place. Especially for someone who hasn't had that experience yet. Easy access, short distance/gain, tons of route options or ad ons, and often a good place to try glissading.
I saw your name on a log on one of the subsummits of Eagles the other day. It got me thinking you would know, how hard is Tuck Away in Cheyenne Canyon?
How long ago was the group hike on Ouray you’re referring to? Just out of curiosity. When did you hike Sherman? I’d be interested to hear a little about that experience, I’m not familiar with that one truthfully
[/quote]
The failed attempt on Ouray was this past fall. It was a matter of odd conditions and people underestimating a mountain. It's not a particularly dangerous place.
I've hit Sherman in the Winter up the standard route. When there's lot's of snow, it's a little bit longer of a hike. I still thought it was physically easy, but I learned a lot that day. I've also gone in the spring via the White Ridge N couloir I believe. For me, another awesome adventure and an opportunity to live and grow.
mtree wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 11:16 am
You're ready to hike a 14er. Like another 21 feet matters?! Hike Ouray, La Plata, or Shavano, etc. You should be good to go.
How long ago was the group hike on Ouray you’re referring to? Just out of curiosity. When did you hike Sherman? I’d be interested to hear a little about that experience, I’m not familiar with that one truthfully
[/quote]
The failed attempt on Ouray was this past fall. It was a matter of odd conditions and people underestimating a mountain. It's not a particularly dangerous place.
I've hit Sherman in the Winter up the standard route. When there's lot's of snow, it's a little bit longer of a hike. I still thought it was physically easy, but I learned a lot that day. I've also gone in the spring via the White Ridge N couloir I believe. For me, another awesome adventure and an opportunity to live and grow.
[/quote]
How long ago was the group hike on Ouray you’re referring to? Just out of curiosity. When did you hike Sherman? I’d be interested to hear a little about that experience, I’m not familiar with that one truthfully
The failed attempt on Ouray was this past fall. It was a matter of odd conditions and people underestimating a mountain. It's not a particularly dangerous place.
I've hit Sherman in the Winter up the standard route. When there's lot's of snow, it's a little bit longer of a hike. I still thought it was physically easy, but I learned a lot that day. I've also gone in the spring via the White Ridge N couloir I believe. For me, another awesome adventure and an opportunity to live and grow.
[/quote]
Awesome, thank you for the responses
[/quote]
&& I’d imagine the snow in that area is on its way to melting? I don’t know for sure so please correct me if I’m wrong — snow might be a little less prevalent this year
JerJerBinks wrote: ↑Tue Apr 28, 2026 7:26 pm
Sherman is ... very underrated.
Never once have I heard this take
I actually agree. Mt. Sherman is a cool area... if you're into mining stuff. The views from the ridge and hike to the summit is as good or better than some. The access to other 13ers around it is exceptional. Gemini, Dyer, Sheridan and more are all pleasant with virtually no other trekkers. And its not nearly as crowded as the usual front range hotspots. Sure, it lacks the lower wilderness experience, but it has its own quirky charms.
So with Mt. Sherman, there lies a realistic possibility for a two-summit day by including a 13er? Definitely can appreciate the less-traveled. I don’t know much about that are so this is cool to know — lots for me to learn about and look up!
mtree wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 11:16 am
You're ready to hike a 14er. Like another 21 feet matters?! Hike Ouray, La Plata, or Shavano, etc. You should be good to go.
Given my proximity to Mount Shavano I’d be curious to hear about experience hiking that, not sure if you personally have.
Thoughts and experience from anyone on the route-finding involved in tackling Mt. Shavano via the East slope route( as listed on here)? Understand that it’s rated “low,” but curious for any firsthand input on what that might generally mean
P_Weidman22 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 30, 2026 3:59 pm
[
So with Mt. Sherman, there lies a realistic possibility for a two-summit day by including a 13er? Definitely can appreciate the less-traveled. I don’t know much about that are so this is cool to know — lots for me to learn about and look up!
You can do multiple summits depending on your endurance. Gemini Peak is my favorite. An easy hike and back from Sherman. Every time I've been over there I've never seen another person. Dyer's a bit farther and makes for a longer day. A bit of exposure, but the hike is easy. Sheridan is the opposite direction. Also easy.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
JerJerBinks wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 7:07 pm
I saw your name on a log on one of the subsummits of Eagles the other day. It got me thinking you would know, how hard is Tuck Away in Cheyenne Canyon?
1) I actually don't dislike Sherman, I just meant to say I think it has an appropriate amount of attention for what it is. It's a great beginner mountain and the views are nice, and it gets what I think is the appropriate amount of hype for it. Underrated seems hard to belive when there's a ton of people up there still.
2) Tuckaway is really fun. The summit boulder used to be considered easy 5th by some but you can actually just walk up the rock next to it and step/hop over, making it really class 2, but we settled on 3 because not everyone will have legs long enough to not need to hop. I recall a few hundred feet of gravel climbing but really nothing too bad. One of the quietest peaks in the county.
2) Tuckaway is really fun. The summit boulder used to be considered easy 5th by some but you can actually just walk up the rock next to it and step/hop over, making it really class 2, but we settled on 3 because not everyone will have legs long enough to not need to hop. I recall a few hundred feet of gravel climbing but really nothing too bad. One of the quietest peaks in the county.
Sweet thanks for the info. May go check it out soon