First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Vermont Mike
Posts: 197
Joined: 5/7/2009
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by Vermont Mike »

Don't be discouraged Sarah, once you get those first couple of summits you'll be hooked! I'm sure that won't be the only time you turn around either, as others have pointed out. Sometimes an individual mountain can become a nemesis, even if it's relatively easy. One such for me is McCurdy Mountain in the LCW. I've ended up having to turn around on 4 occasions with that one 12er for various reasons, even though it's just a walk-up. It happens! The way I look at it though it's usually still an enjoyable hike in beautiful environs even if you do end up turning around.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 9893
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 57 14
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by Scott P »

Tell me it gets easier (or rather, that I'll get better?)!
Better? Yes. Easier? Hopefully not. The reason being that once you climb the easier peaks you may want to challenge yourself farther. No matter how good anyone gets at climbing, there is always something higher to reach for.

Everyone has their own limit, so you can set your own goals. It's just you and the mountains and you can choose own rules.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Helen Hope
Posts: 2
Joined: 7/17/2020
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by Helen Hope »

Hi! I am a newbie in climbing. I have climbed two times in my life and that was very exciting. I got an inspiration for that from our geology classes in college, as well as from "Everest: Beyond the Limit". Frankly speaking, I hadn't had any hobby before that. But then I became more and more involved in the subject and even wrote my dissertation on earth's formations. My first big mountain climb will be very soon, on the Mount Whitney...
User avatar
rijaca
Posts: 3469
Joined: 7/8/2006
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 245 1 2
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by rijaca »

Helen Hope wrote: ↑Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:06 am Hi! I am a newbie in climbing. I have climbed two times in my life and that was very exciting. I got an inspiration for that from our geology classes in college, as well as from "Everest: Beyond the Limit". Frankly speaking, I hadn't had any hobby before that. But then I became more and more involved in the subject and even wrote my dissertation on earth's formations. My first big mountain climb will be very soon, on the Mount Whitney...
TROLL ALERT!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by mtree »

Helen Hope wrote: ↑Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:06 am Hi! I am a newbie in climbing. I have climbed two times in my life and that was very exciting. I got an inspiration for that from our geology classes in college, as well as from "Everest: Beyond the Limit". Frankly speaking, I hadn't had any hobby before that. But then I became more and more involved in the subject and even wrote my dissertation on earth's formations. My first big mountain climb will be very soon, on the Mount Whitney...
You're a wuss. Go for Everest or go home.

Hey, your mom called. She says get off your Xbox and clean your room. NOW.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Ptglhs
Posts: 1582
Joined: 1/6/2016
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 2
Trip Reports (4)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by Ptglhs »

Not a troll, just a bot or a scammer trying to sell stuff. The link to the buy a paper page was my 2nd clue. The poor syntax was my 1st. Would anyone really risk buying a dissertation? Seems counter intuitive to me.
BoardingHiker
Posts: 16
Joined: 5/9/2017
14ers: 58  1  10 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by BoardingHiker »

ang2073 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 am Don't be hard on yourself. You went and learned what to do next time.
It is a part of the game.
My mantra when I climb: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." ---- I repeat this until I reach summit.
You got this! Invest in good gear and you shall see great results, remember you are bound to "stumble" every now and then, get up, dust off and keep trying! =D>
The man in the arena. Good stuff. I actually have this quote framed in my office.
User avatar
Helen Hope
Posts: 2
Joined: 7/17/2020
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by Helen Hope »

Hold on, people! Why are you so hostile to the newcomers? I just wanted to share my humble experience, as everyone does on the forums!
User avatar
rijaca
Posts: 3469
Joined: 7/8/2006
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 245 1 2
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by rijaca »

Helen Hope wrote: ↑Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:21 am Hold on, people! Why are you so hostile to the newcomers? I just wanted to share my humble experience, as everyone does on the forums!
Helen Hope wrote: ↑Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:06 am Hi! I am a newbie in climbing. I have climbed two times in my life and that was very exciting. I got an inspiration for that from our geology classes in college, as well as from "Everest: Beyond the Limit". Frankly speaking, I hadn't had any hobby before that. But then I became more and more involved in the subject and even wrote my dissertation on earth's formations. My first big mountain climb will be very soon, on the Mount Whitney...
Your humble experience references a commercial site.

Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
User avatar
climbingcue
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10/11/2011
14ers: 58  8  31 
13ers: 512 34 22
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by climbingcue »

We had to turn around on Dallas on the final 60 ft vertical pitch on July 4th 2020. Thunder at 9:40am and the clouds were getting worse. We had to hike down in the grapple at 1st then it turned into rain. All three of us in our climbing party were happy with our decision to head down the mountain. We went back and where able summit it successfully yesterday. Lots of miles in the car, but we has a great crew. Mountains will always be there to climb another day. If the day you are climbing is not the day the mountain will let you summit. You must respect that and try another day. I have had a very long streak with only one turn around with 170 summits. I was due, and I was totally ok with turning around that day.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er: 102 months.
User avatar
cedica
Posts: 826
Joined: 6/25/2014
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by cedica »

We will have to hone new skillz for this brave new century. Recognizing deepfakes for example https://graphics.reuters.com/CYBER-DEEP ... ovajgnxpa/

Or enjoying captivating conversations with chatbots https://www.reuters.com/article/us-face ... SKCN0X926F:
Tech companies will have to approach chatbots more carefully, however, after an experimental Microsoft Corp bot, called Tay, unleashed a barrage of racist and sexist tweets after being manipulated by Twitter users last month. The company quickly pulled Tay from the Internet.
User avatar
JChitwood
Posts: 661
Joined: 8/29/2011
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First Big Mountain Climb Attempt

Post by JChitwood »

Helen Hope wrote: ↑Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:06 amthe Mount Whitney...
“The” Mount Whitney. Must be next to “The” Walmart somewhere in Missouri.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood