Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P wrote: ↑Fri Sep 05, 2025 1:51 pm
I wonder what the age of some of these trees are? Supposedly temperatures in the Colorado high country have increased by 2.3 degrees since 1980 and 2.9 degrees since the late 1800s. If that's true, it's enough to raise the timberline by more than 750 feet since 1980 and nearly 1000 feet since the late 1800s.
I took a couple of comparison photos near Gibraltar Lake in the IPW, where treeline is around 11,400 feet. There have been some obvious changes in tree cover at treeline since 1920.
Looking south near Gibraltar Lake, 2025
Gibraltar2025.JPG
Looking south near Gibraltar Lake, 1920 (Unidentified. 1920. Saint Vrain Glaciers: From the Glacier Photograph Collection. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media.)
Gibraltar1920.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott P wrote: ↑Fri Sep 05, 2025 1:51 pm
I wonder what the age of some of these trees are? Supposedly temperatures in the Colorado high country have increased by 2.3 degrees since 1980 and 2.9 degrees since the late 1800s. If that's true, it's enough to raise the timberline by more than 750 feet since 1980 and nearly 1000 feet since the late 1800s.
I took a couple of comparison photos near Gibraltar Lake in the IPW
This one is not as good but you can still see some tree growth
Looking west near Gibraltar Lake, 2025
Basin2025_3.JPG
Looking west near Gibraltar Lake, 1920 (Unidentified. 1920. Saint Vrain Glaciers: From the Glacier Photograph Collection. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media.)
Basin1920.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JQDivide wrote: ↑Fri Oct 31, 2025 12:11 pm
What are the chances that the highest tree in Colorado is the highest tree in North America?
Joel
Around 33%.
NM and CA have equally high peaks at lower latitudes (1 degree north latitude = 100 m elevation gain in terms of mean temps) so probably more likely to find the highest elevation tree there. However, as this thread has revealed, ideal microclimate conditions can have trees growing where most wouldn't expect so broader climatic patterns might be less relevant.
Dave B wrote: ↑Fri Oct 31, 2025 2:25 pm
NM and CA have equally high peaks at lower latitudes (1 degree north latitude = 100 m elevation gain in terms of mean temps) so probably more likely to find the highest elevation tree there.
Wheeler Peak (NM highpoint) is only 13,162, and Joe Devel (southernmost CA 13er) is at 36.51550 north, elevation 13,300. The Grenadiers are at 36.7, with trees higher than Wheeler and (I think) Joe Devel, and I don’t remember there being trees at that altitude in the Sierra (bad soil), so I’d bet on CO.
JQDivide wrote: ↑Fri Oct 31, 2025 12:11 pm
What are the chances that the highest tree in Colorado is the highest tree in North America?
Joel
0%, seano already posted about the trees at above 14k on Pico de Orizaba in Mexico.
Though, I'd say that it it likely that CO has the highest tree in the US.
Yes. Mexico has the highest forests I've ever seen. Some areas (i.e. Peru or Bolivia) have scattered trees above that elevation, but they don't really form a forest.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
I'm not sure about trees, but the highest squirrels I've encountered were at about 11,800 feet, in a grove of bristlecone pines below the summit of Knobby Crest / Peak X (Kenoshsa Range high point).
Scott P wrote: ↑Fri Oct 31, 2025 4:04 pm
Yes. Mexico has the highest forests I've ever seen. Some areas (i.e. Peru or Bolivia) have scattered trees above that elevation, but they don't really form a forest.
It was pretty surreal camping in a forest near the Sierra Negra-Orizaba saddle at around 13,200’!
matt_foco wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:46 am
Just did Niagra yesterday and found a tree at 13,566 -15,570 feet. I have no idea how its there but I believe its a contestant.