How is this planning coming along?Snyderman1966 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:08 pm Well I got the 1st step down, reserved my flight and rental car. Coming in on Monday August 28th, leaving Saturday September 2nd. Now the planning starts. Thank you all again!
Thinking about this more, I'd do something like this:
Aug 28 - arrive and stay at hotel (in COS or DEN presumably?), ~5000ft
Aug 29 - head into mountains, stay @ ~8000ft +/- (camp or local motel), do some walking around, hydrate today more, get last min supplies in town
Aug 30 - Peak 1, return to camp @ ~8000ft +/- (camp or local motel) - Do easier peak this day
Aug 31 - Peak 2, return to camp @ ~8000ft +/- (camp or local motel) (backup weather day or rest day if not feeling 100%)
Sept 1 - Peak 3 , then book a motel, take a shower get a nice meal in town; I'd do the harder peak on this day.
Sept 2 - drive to airport and fly back
I used ~8000ft as an average since many popular mountain towns and some THs are around that elevation. Unless you're accustomed to the higher altitude, I find staying higher the first night or two in places like Dillon/Frisco (~9000ft) or Leadville (10,000ft) or high trailheads is harder for me to get a restful sleep thus hurting my chances for a good climb the next day.
Also, hope for the best, but plan on weather not cooperating on one day and while on paper it looks easy to climb three days in a row, sometimes your body doesn't agree so have some other things planned in case that's the case.
