two lunches wrote: ↑Wed Dec 03, 2025 2:45 pm 2026: The Year of the Comeback (and the Spreadsheet)
1. get healthy - DONE
1b. stay healthy - honestly, this is going well thanks to Training for the Uphill Athlete
2. finish my first lap of the 14ers -![]()
2026 Goals
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
Re: 2026 Goals
1. navigation | 2. illumination | 3. sun protection | 4. first aid | 5. shelter | 6. insulation | 7. fire | 8. repair | 9. water | 10. food | 11. hot sauce
-
madmattd
- Posts: 407
- Joined: 12/2/2017
- 14ers: 58 21
- 13ers: 129 7
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: 2026 Goals
madmattd wrote: ↑Thu Dec 04, 2025 12:18 pm Summit my last 2 14ers (South Maroon, Wetterhorn)
Crestone Traverse
Meeker/Longs combo (Loft or Iron Gates)
(15) new-to-me ranked 13ers 6 so far
(4) snowflake ranked summits >13k 5 - Check
(6) nights on trail (backpacking) 2 so far
At least 1 ranked summit >13k in each major CO range (Front, Sangres, Mosquito, 10mi, Gore, Sawatch, Elk, San Juan)
At least 1 ranked summit >13k per calendar month On track through July
2-3 new-to-me state highpoints
350mi hiking 144mi so far
125k vert hiking 55k ft so far
100mi BCXC skiing Total bust thanks to no winter - a whopping 40mi
750mi on the bike 308mi so far
Figure out my leg issues so I can run more consistently Modest success so far but only running 1-2x/week
-
daway8
- Posts: 1712
- Joined: 8/24/2017
- 14ers: 58 31
- 13ers: 187 30
- Trip Reports (86)
Re: 2026 Goals
daway8 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 31, 2025 2:12 pm UPDATE: A lot of these goals got stalled out by a nasty case of plantar fasciitis but I'm finally back up to full speed and making up for lost time.
1. Have some great adventures in the mountains! Status: crushing it - with the latest Capitol Peak journey from Moon Lake being a prime example!
2. Finish Lap 2 of the 14ers. Status: stalled out by the pf but got Culebra and Capitol. Now looking at the Eolus pair from Purgatory and then finish lap2 with San Luis. So still on track to finish this year.
3. Reach Half-Frozen Finisher status. Status: SUCCESS!! I'm half frozen now, lol, thanks to Blanca, Ellingwood and Culebra summits this winter. Then the plantar fasciitis hit before I could poach Will's trench on Capitol. Sigh, but ridge direct wasn't bad in summer, so I might give it a go next winter...
4. Get more 13er snowflakes (as well as 13ers throughout the year). Status: The pf nixed my 13er flaking plans but since then I've already cranked out 4 new 13ers and have my sights set on several Sangre clusters later this year.
5. Get more efficient at camping - especially winter camping. Status: well the winter camping part of it was another casualty of the aforementioned foot problems, but I did get some good practice with the recent Capitol via Moon Lake trip and have various other camping goals mind, so this one is progressing well and I'll perhaps have a chance to squeeze in some more winter (or at least pre-winter) camping at the end of the year.
6. Try to be less of a hermit hiker. Status: started off strong but then went full hermit when the foot problems came so almost 70% of my hikes this year have been solo. Starting to turn the tide though with hikes scheduled with other folks for the next several weekends, but I'll have to keep the trend going strong in order order to drop to less than 50% solo.
-
Ed_Groves
- Posts: 288
- Joined: 6/6/2019
- 14ers: 39
- 13ers: 12
- Trip Reports (5)
Re: 2026 Goals
The attainment of my goals completely fell apart for 2026. I arrived for my first trip on June 21st, but that evening I received news on my satellite communicator that a close cousin and also the grandmother of my children on their Mom's side had both passed away unexpectedly. I thought I would complete Mt Lindsey the next day and then go home but I wasn't feeling it, so I went back to Missouri with no notches on my belt. The last week of June my two grandsons and my grandson-in-law all decided to accept previous invites from me to hike 14ers this year. I added two Colorado trips with family to the agenda and these took the place of my second trip. However, on the plus side my 15 year-old grandson completed his first 14er (Mt Sherman) and my 29 year-old grandson completed his first 13er and 14er (Peak 9 and Grays Peak). My grandson-in-law and his family came out with the youngest grandson. He completed Mt Sherman with us for his second 14er.
I did manage one short four day trip for myself and completed Centennial Grizzly Peak A, Castle and Conundrum Peaks, and Mount Lindsey via the northwest ridge route using the class 4 crack at the crux. It is unlikely I will be able to make another trip this year.
I did manage one short four day trip for myself and completed Centennial Grizzly Peak A, Castle and Conundrum Peaks, and Mount Lindsey via the northwest ridge route using the class 4 crack at the crux. It is unlikely I will be able to make another trip this year.
Grizzly Peak A CompletedEd_Groves wrote: ↑Thu Dec 04, 2025 6:09 am In 2025 the weather, time with family while in Colorado, and a nasty bump on the head limited the number of peaks I was able to complete. Hopefully, I will stand on a few more peaks in the upcoming year as I am planning my trips for camping only. Other than the weather I hope there will be no other impediments to attempting summits. I plan to attempt all of the Sangre De Cristo 14ers that I have left, other than Culebra. I want to tag the 13ers Huerfano, California, and Mt Adams while in the Sangres as well. Additionally, I want to grab the 14er peaks I have left that are off to themselves along with the two "easiest" Elk range 14ers and maybe 13er Mount Meeker. Tentatively, my plan is for one long trip to Colorado, or possibly two trips as shown below.
First Trip:
California Peak
Mt Lindsey Completed
Huerfano Peak
Crestone Peak / East Crestone Peak (Doing Both)
Little Bear Peak
Ellingwood Pt
Blanca Peak
Challenger Pt
Kit Carson Peak
Mt Adams
Second Trip (Or Add to First Trip)
Castle Peak Completed
Conundrum Peak Completed
Mt of the Holy Cross (Halo Route if weather permits)
Longs Peak
Mt Meeker
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
-
Dignus
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 5/24/2019
- 14ers: 58 6
- 13ers: 56 1
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: 2026 Goals
Complete the Taco Bell 50k in under 10 hours without puking
Verso l'alto
-St. Pier Giorgio Frassati
-St. Pier Giorgio Frassati
-
dougrz
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 8/7/2025
- 14ers: 29
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: 2026 Goals
My goal set last fall was to do 20 14ers. I upped that to 30 during the scant winter thinking April and May were to be clear. But I started in June and reset the goal to 20. I'm at 19 currently and looking for Long's this week to close the season.
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9895
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: 2026 Goals
I haven't posting in this thread all year since I didn't know if that many people were interested in other's goals. I'm still interested in hearing about other's goals in case they are mutual and we can meet up. Unfortunately, I haven't met up with many 14ers members I can think of (correct me if wrong-I didn't mean to forget you) this year. I had hoped to climb Snowdon Peak with one 14ers member and Granite with another but those plans fell through due to work. I did get some peaks in with USAKeller.
I'm also leaving early tomorrow morning to go work in Michigan until November 2027 which will be a huge lifestyle change. I don't think I'm going to meet my goal of 200 peaks this year! In a way, I'm making this post as a farewell to Colorado and the West for a while. I'm going to miss it.
I also had a bad but not serious fall just over a week ago and had some minor injuries including a broken big toe. That incident ruined any hopes of getting in some technical routes before I left but I'm still hobbling up peaks. Living in Michigan I don't think I'll get many peaks in the next year.
2026 so far was OK climbing goals wise, but hard in a lot of other ways. Hopefully things will get better (not referring to climbing/hiking).
Now for the "boring stuff" (well I hope it's not too boring!)
Generic Goals for 2026
Blue = Currently on target for meeting the goal.
Red = Currently behind the target for meeting the goal.
Total Hiking, Climbing, and Canyoneering Days = 350 - Currently at 278. I haven't missed a day yet and hopefully won't.
Total Days Hiking, Climbing, Canyoneering, and Biking Days = 360 - Currently at 279. I haven't missed a day yet and hopefully won't.
Summits Climbed = 200 - Currently at 148. I almost surely am not going to make 200.
New Summits Climbed = 60 - Currently at 44. I may or may not make this one.
States to Climb Summits in = 6 - Currently at 4 (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, and Colorado). By the end of the week I should have hiked in South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
Countries to Climb Summits in = 2 - Currently at 1. Since I'll be on the Canadian border soon I should climb some hills there soon.
Rock Towers/Technical Buttes = 10 - Currently at 3. It is very unlikely that I'll meet this goal.
Technical Rock or Ice Routes = 30 - Currently at 33. The goal has been met but I hope I can do more.
Gym Climbing Days = 30 - Currently at 5? I'll probably get several more days in Michigan. I could use some more gym days.
Technical Canyons = 30 - Currently at 31. The goal has been met but I sure wish I could get some more canyons in. Maybe if I'm home for Christmas?
Biking Days = 30 - Currently at 3. That's OK; I was busy. I won't have room to take my bike to Michigan.
Link to 2026 Wish List (though this is going to change now that I'm leaving the west for a while):
https://www.summitpost.org/2026-wish-list/1098120
Link to 2026 Trip Log with photos:
https://www.summitpost.org/2026-trip-log/1098747
I'm also leaving early tomorrow morning to go work in Michigan until November 2027 which will be a huge lifestyle change. I don't think I'm going to meet my goal of 200 peaks this year! In a way, I'm making this post as a farewell to Colorado and the West for a while. I'm going to miss it.
I also had a bad but not serious fall just over a week ago and had some minor injuries including a broken big toe. That incident ruined any hopes of getting in some technical routes before I left but I'm still hobbling up peaks. Living in Michigan I don't think I'll get many peaks in the next year.
2026 so far was OK climbing goals wise, but hard in a lot of other ways. Hopefully things will get better (not referring to climbing/hiking).
Now for the "boring stuff" (well I hope it's not too boring!)
Generic Goals for 2026
Blue = Currently on target for meeting the goal.
Red = Currently behind the target for meeting the goal.
Total Hiking, Climbing, and Canyoneering Days = 350 - Currently at 278. I haven't missed a day yet and hopefully won't.
Total Days Hiking, Climbing, Canyoneering, and Biking Days = 360 - Currently at 279. I haven't missed a day yet and hopefully won't.
Summits Climbed = 200 - Currently at 148. I almost surely am not going to make 200.
New Summits Climbed = 60 - Currently at 44. I may or may not make this one.
States to Climb Summits in = 6 - Currently at 4 (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, and Colorado). By the end of the week I should have hiked in South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
Countries to Climb Summits in = 2 - Currently at 1. Since I'll be on the Canadian border soon I should climb some hills there soon.
Rock Towers/Technical Buttes = 10 - Currently at 3. It is very unlikely that I'll meet this goal.
Technical Rock or Ice Routes = 30 - Currently at 33. The goal has been met but I hope I can do more.
Gym Climbing Days = 30 - Currently at 5? I'll probably get several more days in Michigan. I could use some more gym days.
Technical Canyons = 30 - Currently at 31. The goal has been met but I sure wish I could get some more canyons in. Maybe if I'm home for Christmas?
Biking Days = 30 - Currently at 3. That's OK; I was busy. I won't have room to take my bike to Michigan.
Link to 2026 Wish List (though this is going to change now that I'm leaving the west for a while):
https://www.summitpost.org/2026-wish-list/1098120
Link to 2026 Trip Log with photos:
https://www.summitpost.org/2026-trip-log/1098747
Last edited by Scott P on Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
HikerGuy
- Posts: 1548
- Joined: 5/25/2006
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 596 8
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: 2026 Goals
I did not get East Crestone, I'm an utter failure.
However, I did get to 500 13ers. Success! 501 actually, because poor Peak R is going to get demoted soon...shortest lived 13er, we hardly knew ya
-
Monster5
- Posts: 1824
- Joined: 8/7/2009
- 14ers: 58 37
- 13ers: 293 37
- Trip Reports (30)
Re: 2026 Goals
My 2026 lists shifted a bit but generally happy.
Peaks/climbs highlights:
-Torre Principal, Frey, northern Patagonia: nice technical alpine summit with stratovolcanoes on the horizon. Really cool, and neat area all around.
-Kingfisher and Echo: striking towers, and possibly the last big ones back there within my abilities. Cottontail scares me. River, Doric, and Gothic maybe, and with help for the latter two.
-Naranjo de Bulnes, Picos Europa. Limestone monstrosity. Overall a fun area with underrated and under-developed alpine climbing.
-Beckey Chouinard, South Howser Tower: this had been top 3 on my wishlist for over a decade, and it lived up to the hype. Such great rock and position.
-Mauna Kea sea-to-sea by bike (supported): The final stretch was brutally steep, but a good time.
My original goals this year included Devil's Thumb and Mt. Hunter, Alaska, but we pulled the plug on both the week prior due to various issues, primarily weather, and shifted else. We shifted one to Devil's Tower in Wyoming specifically by El Matador. We got up it, plus a few more new routes, but Matador itself was an ugly hangdog affair and felt a failure. Funny over the years how goals have shifted from just wanting to reach the top, to wanting to reach the stop in style.
I didn't do many summits in CO that come to mind, but Big Rock Candy was great.
Peaks/climbs highlights:
-Torre Principal, Frey, northern Patagonia: nice technical alpine summit with stratovolcanoes on the horizon. Really cool, and neat area all around.
-Kingfisher and Echo: striking towers, and possibly the last big ones back there within my abilities. Cottontail scares me. River, Doric, and Gothic maybe, and with help for the latter two.
-Naranjo de Bulnes, Picos Europa. Limestone monstrosity. Overall a fun area with underrated and under-developed alpine climbing.
-Beckey Chouinard, South Howser Tower: this had been top 3 on my wishlist for over a decade, and it lived up to the hype. Such great rock and position.
-Mauna Kea sea-to-sea by bike (supported): The final stretch was brutally steep, but a good time.
My original goals this year included Devil's Thumb and Mt. Hunter, Alaska, but we pulled the plug on both the week prior due to various issues, primarily weather, and shifted else. We shifted one to Devil's Tower in Wyoming specifically by El Matador. We got up it, plus a few more new routes, but Matador itself was an ugly hangdog affair and felt a failure. Funny over the years how goals have shifted from just wanting to reach the top, to wanting to reach the stop in style.
I didn't do many summits in CO that come to mind, but Big Rock Candy was great.
Last edited by Monster5 on Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
-
daway8
- Posts: 1712
- Joined: 8/24/2017
- 14ers: 58 31
- 13ers: 187 30
- Trip Reports (86)
Re: 2026 Goals
daway8 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 14, 2026 9:45 pm UPDATE: Gaining ground as the year shrinks to the final quarter...
1. Have some great adventures in the mountains! Status: crushing it - lots of adventure including finally doing the Purgatory approach to Chicago Basin
2. Finish Lap 2 of the 14ers. Status: SUCCESS! Lap2 completed following the Chicago Basin adventure with an easy finish on San Luis!
3. Reach Half-Frozen Finisher status. Status: SUCCESS!! Passed the halfway mark thanks to Blanca, Ellingwood and Culebra summits last winter.
4. Get more 13er snowflakes (as well as 13ers throughout the year). Status: Summer success - multiple new 13ers in summer, but none this past winter - might sneak in something at the start of winter?
5. Get more efficient at camping - especially winter camping. Status: Summer success - great results with the 15mi trek in from Purgatory - had the pack down to 35lbs with ~2.5 days of supplies. Need to work on getting my winter 1 night pack to a similar weight if possible.
6. Try to be less of a hermit hiker. Status: Gaining a little ground but still struggling to get down to less than 50% solo hikes - currently sitting at 58% solo
-
madmattd
- Posts: 407
- Joined: 12/2/2017
- 14ers: 58 21
- 13ers: 129 7
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: 2026 Goals
madmattd wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08, 2026 6:05 pmmadmattd wrote: ↑Thu Dec 04, 2025 12:18 pm Summit my last 2 14ers (South Maroon, Wetterhorn) Check! Yahoo!
Crestone Traverse Nope
Meeker/Longs combo (Loft or Iron Gates) Seems unlikely at this point
(15) new-to-me ranked 13ers Check - 21 YTD
(4) snowflake ranked summits >13k 5 - Check
(6) nights on trail (backpacking) Check - 6
At least 1 ranked summit >13k in each major CO range (Front, Sangres, Mosquito, 10mi, Gore, Sawatch, Elk, San Juan)
At least 1 ranked summit >13k per calendar month On track through September
2-3 new-to-me state highpoints Don't anticipate getting any at this point
350mi hiking 270mi so far
125k vert hiking 113k ft so far
100mi BCXC skiing Total bust thanks to no winter - a whopping 40mi
750mi on the bike 537mi so far - Probably going to come up short
Figure out my leg issues so I can run more consistently Due to laziness, only running ~1x/week but the leg issues have been minimal so I'll call it modest success
Re: 2026 Goals
Pretty happy with how 2026 went for me overall! (Even if i am not getting a new-to-me winter 14er and despite my failed attempt on a 6000 m peak).mtnkub wrote: ↑Thu Jan 01, 2026 9:51 amSince i didn't make my 2025 goals even though i didn't post them, i might as well post my 2026 goals:
- one new-to-her peak with my daughter (and hopefully more other hikes) [Done! although had hoped for more hikes]
- one new-to-me 13er (hopefully more) [Done! two new ranked, five new unranked; and plenty of repeats]
- one new-to-me winter 14er (or more, but one is fine) [not yet; but the last two are alternates anyway]
- attempt one unclimbed peak (hopefully actually climb one, but an attempt is fine) [Done! with success on two: Jonorane and "Monte McChristie"]
This is my now standing list of yearly goals, but the last two goals are now "or"; the others remain "and".
