❗My Dashboard

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: ❗My Dashboard

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

supranihilest wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:09 pm Bill, question for you: what's the intended behavior when bookmarking a TR? Currently it will only display info for the first peak on a TR's peak list. All peaks after the first are ignored, and if the first peak isn't one of the site's 13ers or 14ers then it doesn't display any info for subsequent peaks even if they're official site peaks (example).
Right, TRs don’t have as much that I can use to auto display underlying objects but I think people often research TRs when planning a hike so being able to bookmark them alone should be helpful. For example, someone may want to do a route that’s not on the site so they sift through TRs looking for ones that are helpful. Now they can add them to their dashboard.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Post by supranihilest »

Thanks, Bill! Looking forward to putting this puppy to use.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

supranihilest wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:18 pm Thanks, Bill! Looking forward to putting this puppy to use.
I’ll try to post once in a while when I make notable changes to it. Hopefully for those like you who frequently add content, this thing will be useful. 😁
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Sweet!!! I did a couple quick test cases and this looks like it will be very useful!

One trivial wishlist tweak: with multiple peaks bookmarked when you click on the weather link for one it collapses the weather info for the other - would be sort of nice if it allowed you to expand them all at the same time so you could see at a glance if say the Elks vs Sangres had a better forecast (I know, I know - total laziness, it's just an extra click or two but doesn't hurt to ask...)

Thanks for the neat addition!
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

daway8 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:16 pmsee at a glance if say the Elks vs Sangres had a better forecast
Quick trick for this: windy.com. Use the "clouds" layer (which also shows precip), then zoom to your desired geographic extent and time period, and you can easily tell which areas are likely to have the best weather.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I made more changes to the Dashboard this morning.

1) I used outer, expand/collapse links for the main sections ("My Stuff" and "Bookmarks & Planning"). Now I have the base format so I can add more sections in the future.
2) When viewing on a small (mobile) screen size, the "My Stuff" section will default to collapsed so the planning information is visible right away.

More to come...
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Home page changes

Post by DeTour »

Just started using the dashboard and loving it, especially the bookmark feature! So much that I'm now wondering - if the door isn't closed to more "bright ideas" - is that bookmark function easily added to forum threads? A current example is the "Little Bear Hourglass Question" thread (which I see you in Bill as I post this :-D .)

Alternately, a place to copy/paste browser links in general. Don't know if that's an easier or harder ask, but it comes to mind as I research this year's target peaks. I've created general browser folders in the past with links related to a specific peak, but how cool would it be to have that within the ultimate resource here.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Home page changes

Post by daway8 »

DeTour wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:29 pm Just started using the dashboard and loving it, especially the bookmark feature! So much that I'm now wondering - if the door isn't closed to more "bright ideas" - is that bookmark function easily added to forum threads? A current example is the "Little Bear Hourglass Question" thread (which I see you in Bill as I post this :-D .)

Alternately, a place to copy/paste browser links in general. Don't know if that's an easier or harder ask, but it comes to mind as I research this year's target peaks. I've created general browser folders in the past with links related to a specific peak, but how cool would it be to have that within the ultimate resource here.
Yes! I had to search around for a while to find the Best Local Food Joints thread (had forgotten the title) so that I could find a good recommendation for dinner last night in BV (Eddyline Brewing was indeed a winner!)

Would be nice to somehow quickly access, via some manner of bookmark or such on the dashboard, handy threads like that (I have too many regular browser bookmarks for that to be a useful way to get to such pages...)
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I moved the previous two posts from the "Home Page Changes" thread to this one.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

DeTour wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:29 pm Just started using the dashboard and loving it, especially the bookmark feature! So much that I'm now wondering - if the door isn't closed to more "bright ideas" - is that bookmark function easily added to forum threads? A current example is the "Little Bear Hourglass Question" thread (which I see you in Bill as I post this :-D .)
Yupper, I'm working on more site stuff to be bookmarked, which then shows up in your Dashboard.

This morning I added USER CHECKLISTS!

You can bookmark a user when viewing their checklist:
bookmarkchecklist1.jpg
bookmarkchecklist1.jpg (111.46 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
And checklist bookmarks show up in your dashboard like this:
bookmarkchecklist2.jpg
bookmarkchecklist2.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

Bill, I'm not sure when this was added, but I noticed it recently and wanted to thank you for the "View" button on my checklists accessed from the dashboard - which gives the view as if you were looking at someone else's list. I never found a good way to do it before other than going to the forum, viewing someone else's list, and searching for my name from there.
snip.PNG
snip.PNG (8.08 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Thanks for all the recent improvements!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

madmattd wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:07 pm Bill, I'm not sure when this was added, but I noticed it recently and wanted to thank you for the "View" button on my checklists accessed from the dashboard - which gives the view as if you were looking at someone else's list. I never found a good way to do it before other than going to the forum, viewing someone else's list, and searching for my name from there.
snip.PNG

Thanks for all the recent improvements!
A long time ago. :) Glad you found it