Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Vasqujg
Posts: 4
Joined: 9/21/2022
Trip Reports (0)
 

Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by Vasqujg »

Hello it's November tomorrow and a weekday.

Do I need to arrive at 4AM for a parking spot?

I want to arrive at 6AM, will I just go home angry?
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 9893
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 57 14
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by Scott P »

I doubt the parking lot will be full tomorrow. I'd worry more about whether or not your vehicle will make the road when covered in snow. The most recent report says someone made it up in their Outback, but that they were sliding the whole way down.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Vasqujg
Posts: 4
Joined: 9/21/2022
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by Vasqujg »

Scott P wrote: ↑Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:47 pm I doubt the parking lot will be full tomorrow. I'd worry more about whether or not your vehicle will make the road when covered in snow. The most recent report says someone made it up in their Outback, but that they were sliding the whole way down.
Thanks for the heads up.
User avatar
14er101
Posts: 32
Joined: 7/3/2017
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by 14er101 »

I walked down that road today after traversing from Loveland Pass (thank you to the people who gave us a ride the last bit, much appreciated if you are seeing this!)
I actually saw a really low clearance, probably 2wd or awd vehicle make it up to the upper lot as we were leaving, they did not look like they were having a good time, and were probably going to slip a lot on the way down.
Subies made it up and down without much of a problem (very occasional short slide), and our HRV could have made it up to the trailhead, although coming down would have been tedious and slow.

Bakersville adds 3miles each way if you park down there.
There is no wifi in the mountains, but I promise you will find a better connection
User avatar
wineguy
Posts: 375
Joined: 7/12/2009
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 192 2
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by wineguy »

See my recent trailhead report, don't expect any parking issues mid-week. But can't speak to current road conditions.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Smith92
Posts: 1
Joined: 8/31/2025
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by Smith92 »

Is it easy to get a ride from lower to upper parking lot for me and my wife? Someone with 4WD, since we have 2WD. We are planning for the Wednesday (9/3/25) early morning.
User avatar
Mtnman200
Posts: 1233
Joined: 9/26/2012
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 472
Trip Reports (85)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by Mtnman200 »

Smith92 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 31, 2025 4:01 pm Is it easy to get a ride from lower to upper parking lot for me and my wife? Someone with 4WD, since we have 2WD. We are planning for the Wednesday (9/3/25) early morning.
I’ve caught a ride both directions as well as given people a ride, so it’s certainly possible. I’d plan on hiking the road but hope for a ride.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
taboose395
Posts: 15
Joined: 6/15/2015
14ers: 45 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Gray Torrey - Trailhead Parking

Post by taboose395 »

Smith92 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 31, 2025 4:01 pm Is it easy to get a ride from lower to upper parking lot for me and my wife? Someone with 4WD, since we have 2WD. We are planning for the Wednesday (9/3/25) early morning.
Yes. I was able to catch a ride. But I approached it as if no one would stop.