Tips for Physical Training

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
Posts: 1386
Joined: 8/17/2018
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Tips for Physical Training

Post by nunns »

justiner wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm I'll defend Jaggers preference on Crossfit for beginners, to get in better shape for hiking 14ers. If you are just starting out in getting a higher level of fitness - something like Crossfit four hours a week would be much better than doing nothing at all. But then again, perhaps anything for four hours would be better than nothing at all. If Crossfit motivates and entertains you, that's perfect.

(deleted rant on Crossfit and bad form, blah blah blah)


After achieving a somewhat higher level of general fitness, I would still def. suggest integrating some sort of aerobic-heavy activity: more walking/jogging/hiking/running. If all you have is a stairmaster machine, OK - but do remember that what goes up, must come down, and a stairmaster doesn't work well for conditioning your legs for that very, very different workload.

A stairmaster, actually, still wouldn't be my preference over running on a flat road, as it's very easy to go over your aerobic threshold while hiking UP stairs then jogging something flat. At high elevations, if you can't breath enough, you can't go anywhere.
I would second everything Justiner says. Perhaps the reason that CrossFit gets such a bad rep among some people is that when you watch the CrossFit championships on TV, the people winning are NOT the bodytypes of people who would successfully complete 10-15 mile uphill hikes/climbs. Crossfit would be a good way to start training to give yourself some basic strength and fitness. It honestly also depends on your natural body type. If you are skinny like me naturally, then you might want a little more strength (especially in the legs, hence the multiple recommendations for squats). If you are naturally a mesomorph (muscular), then you probably want to be careful NOT to overdo strength. Big biceps, pecs, etc., do very little to help you up a mountain, and the extra weight actually hinders your progress.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 4943
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers: 3  1 
Trip Reports (40)
 

Re: Tips for Physical Training

Post by justiner »

nunns wrote: ↑Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:14 am
justiner wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm I'll defend Jaggers preference on Crossfit for beginners, to get in better shape for hiking
LOL I can't believe I wrote that so long ago. My point of views haven't changed much. A workout that keeps you motivated to keep working out is very much clutch, but once you have a goal in mind - like hiking a 14er, it's best to consider starting to focus on training that's more specific to the goal. To some, this may start out with walking with intention.

nunns wrote: ↑Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:14 am I would second everything Justiner says. Perhaps the reason that CrossFit gets such a bad rep among some people is that when you watch the CrossFit championships on TV, the people winning are NOT the bodytypes of people who would successfully complete 10-15 mile uphill hikes/climbs.
What's interesting is that CrossFit athletes at the elite level don't do CrossFit to compete in CrossFit (Games). They might as well be two different activities. I hate to say it, but since CrossFit athletes keep getting popped for PEDs, I would consider many of them to be enhanced athletes and the rules for training and conditioning enhanced are very, very different.

I myself am not a small human - if I told people I was an amateur crossfit athlete, I doubt I'd make someone think twice if you look at me. That's just from my interest in climbing. Perhaps just to highlight that Z1/Z2 endurance training isn't going to kill your gains... there is the idea of the Interference Effect, where aerobic condition would get in the way of muscular development. If you're not an elite athlete or a bodybuilder, it just isn't something that applies.
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
User avatar
Jorts
Posts: 1366
Joined: 4/12/2013
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 150 28 7
Trip Reports (14)
 

Re: Tips for Physical Training

Post by Jorts »

3/23/2023:
https://www.gq.com/story/why-easy-zone- ... in-fitness

3/31/2014:
https://www.gq.com/story/high-intensity ... l-training

Not that GQ is a great source for fitness advice... but it's indicative of trends of the times.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
nunns
Posts: 1386
Joined: 8/17/2018
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Tips for Physical Training

Post by nunns »

Skybluesky wrote: ↑Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 am I've been stalking for a bit and pretty much read thru each post on this thread. My wife and I visited the Morrsion area in June and I was completely smitten. I did alot(alot!) of driving thru Arapaho area, Mt. Evans, Georgetown etc and fell in love. I was not prepared for solo hiking and she is not a hiker so I have been looking for a reason to come back out and get on the trail. I have a work trip to Denver coming up in September...I am going to come out solo a few days early and would like to hit two peaks, one Saturday and one Sunday, watch a show on Monday night then meet my work people at the airport and resume the mundane work travel routine. I am 43, from Kentucky and walk a ton, hike moderately and am in decent "dad" shape(5'10" 195 construction background, enjoys Miller Lite and potato chips). I have hiked almost everything at the Red River Gorge here in Ky. RRG trails can be harsh...tons of rocks, roots and switchbacks and very steep footing. The difference maker is obviously altitude. I have done 8 miles or more, approx. 2,500 ft of gain on these types of trails with a 50 pound pack numerous times. The routes I was considering are easier( Beirstadt and Grays & Torreys). I trust my endurance and my feet and I am willing to do several conditioning hikes here at home to prepare. I am stuck somewhere between "you're overthinking the difficulty" and "you're too fat, stay at home". Thoughts on my experiences here in Ky stacking up to those two peaks? Is hitting these peaks solo first time out irresponsible? For the record when we visited last I can't remember feeling the altitude at all but we didn't do anything too strenuous.
IF you can handle the altitude, those peaks should not be a problem for you. Mostly because even a very well stocked day pack will only weigh maybe 15 pounds, which is a LOT less than 50. Jeez, I can't imagine carrying a 50lb backpack. If you can, give yourself a day or 3 to acclimate. You should be fine. I would definitely give it a go if I were you.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6