Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Snyderman1966
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 4/21/2023
- Trip Reports (0)
Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Hi, I'm new to the 14ers. I want to come to Colorado this September to attempt my 1st 14er. I've done some Appalachian Trail hikes and Some NY High Peaks and I'm ready for a bigger challenge. I'm usually hiking with a friend, but my trip to Colorado will be a solo hike. I'll probably spend a week there and hit Pikes Peak 1st, star at Barr Camp then up and back down. I'm thinking of trying Elbert and maybe Massive while I'm there. My question/concern is being a solo hiker is it safe to stay alone at one of the Forestry Service campgrounds near the trail heads? I'm not familiar with the area, I don't know my way around. Can I count on a chance of other people being at the campgrounds or are these areas usually not used much in mid September? Would I be better off staying at a local hotel? I want to stay at one of the campgrounds so I can acclimate to the elevation before the hike but I'm concerned about being out there if other people aren't around. Yes, I'm a little paranoid and I've watched too many scary movies! 
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
There will be more plenty of people at all of the trailheads/peaks you mentioned regardless of weekend/weekday and it being September.Snyderman1966 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:50 pm Hi, I'm new to the 14ers. I want to come to Colorado this September to attempt my 1st 14er. I've done some Appalachian Trail hikes and Some NY High Peaks and I'm ready for a bigger challenge. I'm usually hiking with a friend, but my trip to Colorado will be a solo hike. I'll probably spend a week there and hit Pikes Peak 1st, star at Barr Camp then up and back down. I'm thinking of trying Elbert and maybe Massive while I'm there. My question/concern is being a solo hiker is it safe to stay alone at one of the Forestry Service campgrounds near the trail heads? I'm not familiar with the area, I don't know my way around. Can I count on a chance of other people being at the campgrounds or are these areas usually not used much in mid September? Would I be better off staying at a local hotel? I want to stay at one of the campgrounds so I can acclimate to the elevation before the hike but I'm concerned about being out there if other people aren't around. Yes, I'm a little paranoid and I've watched too many scary movies!![]()
-
derekpetrie
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 9/28/2019
- 14ers: 17
- 13ers: 4
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Mid-September is an interesting time. The traffic on most trails is going to be weather dependent, though Barr Trail will be the busiest. Massive is a big hike, and midweek in September could be very lightly traveled. I’d probably steer away from it if you are concerned about being alone in the wilderness. You most likely won’t be alone at any of the campgrounds.
It is also going to be hunting season across the state, both archery and muzzleloader seasons are active for big game. So be prepared with high vis clothing and know you may hear a gunshot or two.
It’s also worth prepping for what makes you uncomfortable about being alone. The hikes you mentioned are best started early in the morning so you will be doing some walking alone in dark or twilight conditions. And they are remote (even sections of Barr Trail,) so even if other people are around, you are most likely 4-6 hours from any emergency help. statistically you are your own biggest risk out there. Far more people get injured/lost/sick on the trail than have issues with wildlife or criminal activity.
It is also going to be hunting season across the state, both archery and muzzleloader seasons are active for big game. So be prepared with high vis clothing and know you may hear a gunshot or two.
It’s also worth prepping for what makes you uncomfortable about being alone. The hikes you mentioned are best started early in the morning so you will be doing some walking alone in dark or twilight conditions. And they are remote (even sections of Barr Trail,) so even if other people are around, you are most likely 4-6 hours from any emergency help. statistically you are your own biggest risk out there. Far more people get injured/lost/sick on the trail than have issues with wildlife or criminal activity.
-
nunns
- Posts: 1386
- Joined: 8/17/2018
- 14ers: 43
- 13ers: 5
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
+1 on derekpetrie. I have personally never seen any criminal activity on a 14er, or in a campground. I mean I wouldn't leave diamond rings or gold bars unattended in a tent, but overall you should be very safe. No one has asked if you are male or female; that doesn't affect your abilities but it does affect how society perceives you. If you are female you are probably still very safe, but there are unfortunately a few predator types in this world and you can't say for sure that you won't encounter one. Having mace is probably sufficient to deter one of those people on the rare chance you would encounter one.
The much bigger risk is something like turning an ankle or a knee near the top of a 14er and not having anyone around to assist you. I would listen to the counsel of others regarding which mountains are likely to have a decent number of people on them in September (I haven't climbed in CO in September so I have no advice on that issue).
Sean Nunn
The much bigger risk is something like turning an ankle or a knee near the top of a 14er and not having anyone around to assist you. I would listen to the counsel of others regarding which mountains are likely to have a decent number of people on them in September (I haven't climbed in CO in September so I have no advice on that issue).
Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
You should be fine. Mid September sees a huge drop in hiking traffic so it probably won't be super busy. Weekends will have a good amount of folks, but during the week not so much. I've never camped at one of these trailheads so can't comment on that, but I'm guessing there will be a few.
Pikes Peak should have the most activity. If the weather is good, Elbert is a breeze. Its hard to lose the trail.
Massive, depends on your route. The standard route (east slopes) is real long so you may not see many people for long stretches. The southwest slopes is a little trickier and less traveled. It wouldn't surprise me if you never see a soul during the week.
Weather will be something to be aware of. That time of year can see just about anything. I've never had issues with other hikers or campers or animals or anything other than weather. Just be smart. Don't worry about acclimating before the hike. You won't. It takes a loooong time to acclimate. Just get good rest, drink plenty of water, and stay hydrated. You'll adjust to the altitude quickly enough. Most of all have fun!
Pikes Peak should have the most activity. If the weather is good, Elbert is a breeze. Its hard to lose the trail.
Massive, depends on your route. The standard route (east slopes) is real long so you may not see many people for long stretches. The southwest slopes is a little trickier and less traveled. It wouldn't surprise me if you never see a soul during the week.
Weather will be something to be aware of. That time of year can see just about anything. I've never had issues with other hikers or campers or animals or anything other than weather. Just be smart. Don't worry about acclimating before the hike. You won't. It takes a loooong time to acclimate. Just get good rest, drink plenty of water, and stay hydrated. You'll adjust to the altitude quickly enough. Most of all have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
peter303
- Posts: 3583
- Joined: 6/17/2009
- 14ers: 34
- 13ers: 12
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Most of the higher altitude formal campgrounds close Labor Day- water supply freezes, snow, summer rangers let go. Many of the trailheads have informal camping.
-
ECF55
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 8/26/2017
- 14ers: 19
- 13ers: 4
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
I'm also an East Coaster who has done a few big Colorado hikes solo. I've had some great experiences out there! Of note, 14ers get A LOT more traffic than 13ers, so that helps with some solo hiking risk management. I definitely agree with comments above that things like high elevation talus/scree ankle turns are bigger personal risk factors than some of the other externals. Weather is also a risk factor with afternoon storms and/or snow flurries; keep good tabs on the forecast and the sky.
You may also consider buying a Spot or InReach as an insurance policy so that you can send out an SOS if you are conscience but in trouble. You want to avoid a situation where you are stuck overnight on the mountain with no one aware of your issue.
Good luck.
You may also consider buying a Spot or InReach as an insurance policy so that you can send out an SOS if you are conscience but in trouble. You want to avoid a situation where you are stuck overnight on the mountain with no one aware of your issue.
Good luck.
-
GuiGirard
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 8/4/2021
- 14ers: 28
- 13ers: 13
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Done several of such trips solo, as a flatlander.
In fact last year I was camping in dispersed NF sites in a tent by my car for two consecutive weeks in the last couple of weeks of August until Labor Day weekend, with only two nights spent at organized campgrounds.
Generally, you should expect to find most developed campsites taken during weekends, but you should be fine snapping one if coming in early. Likewise for dispersed campsites in busy areas such as 14ers trailheads. But on weeknights including Sunday nights most sites will be vacant, but campgrounds unlikely to be completely empty if the weather is outdoors-friendly. I've seen plenty of solo campers and/or solo hikers too.
Re hiking: I like my space, silence and solitude, I hate crowds or big parties, so I always try to hike the 14ers on weekdays, but weather and life get in the way and I won't skip a chance to hike a peak because it's a Saturday. In fact, I hiked Harvard on a Saturday this past August and it didn't have a crowding issue. Mid-September will be even less problematic. You could very well be alone on a summit. I've tried to hit my 13ers on weekends though, due to not being too comfortable with the idea of being entirely alone on a mountain. And yet... I've been entirely alone on a centennial on the Saturday of Labor Day despite perfect weather (I guess hikers behind me would have found me but I didn't know about their presence until hiking down!).
Yes I've read the same stories that you have about weirdos hanging near campgrounds, about cougars "stalking" hikers in the middle the night, etc... I'm well aware of the gun violence epidemic hitting this country, yet I refuse to carry a firearm. Doesn't mean I don't worry about my safety:
The three worries I have are: 1. myself, basically about getting hurt hiking in the high country. I think I know my limits, and for the rest, I carry an inReach, headlamp, and extra H2O, food, and clothing layers. 2. the weather, though keeping an eye on the forecast ahead of hiking and on the clouds during hiking helps (September could involve snow just as much as t-storms). 3. those jackasses on the roads, many of whom on CO highways, often in CO-plated vehicles too. Never had any specific close calls but often seen many things I don't like to see involving fast moving 2-ton pieces of metal. Yes, your higher risk of injury is going to be on the highway, there and back. Sometimes i freak out when I hear something walking and/or see eyes in my headlamp at night, and so far every single time it's been a tame and curious herbivore. Or howling coyotes.
Know your abilities, your body, your limits, stay away from any moose under any circumstance, don't feed the bears (ie, lock your food in your car), and you will be fine. I strongly recommend an inReach. At least you'll use it to get the weather forecast if away from 4G network. Know the limits of your car battery as well. These things aren't as resilient as you are, generally.
In fact last year I was camping in dispersed NF sites in a tent by my car for two consecutive weeks in the last couple of weeks of August until Labor Day weekend, with only two nights spent at organized campgrounds.
Generally, you should expect to find most developed campsites taken during weekends, but you should be fine snapping one if coming in early. Likewise for dispersed campsites in busy areas such as 14ers trailheads. But on weeknights including Sunday nights most sites will be vacant, but campgrounds unlikely to be completely empty if the weather is outdoors-friendly. I've seen plenty of solo campers and/or solo hikers too.
Re hiking: I like my space, silence and solitude, I hate crowds or big parties, so I always try to hike the 14ers on weekdays, but weather and life get in the way and I won't skip a chance to hike a peak because it's a Saturday. In fact, I hiked Harvard on a Saturday this past August and it didn't have a crowding issue. Mid-September will be even less problematic. You could very well be alone on a summit. I've tried to hit my 13ers on weekends though, due to not being too comfortable with the idea of being entirely alone on a mountain. And yet... I've been entirely alone on a centennial on the Saturday of Labor Day despite perfect weather (I guess hikers behind me would have found me but I didn't know about their presence until hiking down!).
Yes I've read the same stories that you have about weirdos hanging near campgrounds, about cougars "stalking" hikers in the middle the night, etc... I'm well aware of the gun violence epidemic hitting this country, yet I refuse to carry a firearm. Doesn't mean I don't worry about my safety:
The three worries I have are: 1. myself, basically about getting hurt hiking in the high country. I think I know my limits, and for the rest, I carry an inReach, headlamp, and extra H2O, food, and clothing layers. 2. the weather, though keeping an eye on the forecast ahead of hiking and on the clouds during hiking helps (September could involve snow just as much as t-storms). 3. those jackasses on the roads, many of whom on CO highways, often in CO-plated vehicles too. Never had any specific close calls but often seen many things I don't like to see involving fast moving 2-ton pieces of metal. Yes, your higher risk of injury is going to be on the highway, there and back. Sometimes i freak out when I hear something walking and/or see eyes in my headlamp at night, and so far every single time it's been a tame and curious herbivore. Or howling coyotes.
Know your abilities, your body, your limits, stay away from any moose under any circumstance, don't feed the bears (ie, lock your food in your car), and you will be fine. I strongly recommend an inReach. At least you'll use it to get the weather forecast if away from 4G network. Know the limits of your car battery as well. These things aren't as resilient as you are, generally.
-
Monte Meals
- Posts: 576
- Joined: 5/16/2011
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Don't underestimate altitude problems.
Sever headaches (early sign of cerebral edema) or
projectile vomiting are common above 10,000 ft
for people coming from lower elevations.
Consider taking Daimox https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6753 ... al/details
to help with acclimation.
It is a prescription - so you will need to visit your doctor.
Sever headaches (early sign of cerebral edema) or
projectile vomiting are common above 10,000 ft
for people coming from lower elevations.
Consider taking Daimox https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6753 ... al/details
to help with acclimation.
It is a prescription - so you will need to visit your doctor.
-
Snyderman1966
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 4/21/2023
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
Thank you sir! What's your opinion on hiking these peaks solo? Is it foolish?
-
madbuck
- Posts: 1018
- Joined: 6/16/2009
- Trip Reports (6)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
No, if the weather is good it will be a great and memorable time, you will see others on the trail and in camp.Snyderman1966 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:46 pm What's your opinion on hiking these peaks solo? Is it foolish?
These are popular and "safe" (in terms of culture) campgrounds.
More enjoyable and cheaper than staying in a hotel, plus saves you the costs and risks of extra driving. Have fun!
-
Rollie Free
- Posts: 454
- Joined: 6/8/2012
- 14ers: 45
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo
If I can make one suggestion, not Pikes Peak. It's not a wilderness experience at all. The top portion is like hiking through a construction zone. Err, it is hiking through a construction zone.
I've done over 50 14ers and that would be at the dead bottom on a list of favorites.
Just about anything is better.
I've done over 50 14ers and that would be at the dead bottom on a list of favorites.
Just about anything is better.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
