Elbert for a newbie?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AnnieB23
Posts: 2
Joined: 7/21/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Elbert for a newbie?

Post by AnnieB23 »

I am planning to hike Elbert late august. I have done a 12er and didn't have trouble. I know there is a big jump to a 14er but I am up for it I think. Reading the posts I am rethinking making Elbert my first one...I kindof thought go big or go home you know...Any thoughts? I don't have equipment besides poles. Thanks for any input!!
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 1708
Joined: 8/24/2017
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 187 30
Trip Reports (86)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by daway8 »

12k vs 14k isn't a huge difference - you'll be fine. Just take it slow and make sure you have water and some trail snacks.

And this time of year watch out for afternoon thunderstorms...
User avatar
Phill the Thrill
Posts: 1135
Joined: 6/20/2005
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (6)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Yeah, sure, why not? It's a good class 1 14er perfect for newbies. As said above, check the weather forecast before going and get an early start, so that you can start heading down from the summit by noon, if possible.
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."
Ryan987
Posts: 169
Joined: 8/7/2022
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by Ryan987 »

daway8 wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:34 pm 12k vs 14k isn't a huge difference - you'll be fine. Just take it slow and make sure you have water and some trail snacks.

And this time of year watch out for afternoon thunderstorms...
I respectfully disagree, as someone who suffers from altitude sickness there is a major jump from 12k to 14k for me. I never have issues on 12ers but commonly suffer with dizziness, headaches, and nausea above 13,500 ft. Everyone is different though
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 1708
Joined: 8/24/2017
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 187 30
Trip Reports (86)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by daway8 »

Ryan987 wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:06 pm I respectfully disagree, as someone who suffers from altitude sickness there is a major jump from 12k to 14k for me. I never have issues on 12ers but commonly suffer with dizziness, headaches, and nausea above 13,500 ft. Everyone is different though
Interesting, never heard anyone report that kind of difference in effect before, though I know some people who tend to slow down considerably above 13k.

Many people are not affected in a major way at 12k vs 14k but apparently some are. Like you said, everyone is different - just gotta try it and see for yourself.
User avatar
HokieTom
Posts: 32
Joined: 4/23/2021
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)
 

If you prepare and acclimate, you should be fine………..

Post by HokieTom »

I started my 14,000’ journey in the fall of 2020 at the age of 62 and Elbert was my first. I prepared in Virginia with lots of road miles and cardio. I was doing 15-20 miles per day 2 weeks before the trip. Then tapered the last week.

I did an acclimation hike on the first day to 13,600’ with no problems. I was planning on a second acclimation hike the next day, but since I felt good after day 1, I decided to go for Elbert on day 2.

I felt fine almost to the summit, decided to rest and eat my lunch prior to the last push. I stood up and immediately felt dizzy, had a headache, and also felt nauseous. I sat back down and rested more, took ibuprofen, and got some more fuel and water in me.

I was able to finish Elbert, but I learned a lesson. I have since completed 19 more 14’ers during 3 consecutive June trips, but I always do 2 acclimation days prior to going to 14k. I have had no problems with the altitude since.

Great luck on your journey!
User avatar
HokieTom
Posts: 32
Joined: 4/23/2021
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)
 

If you prepare and acclimate, you should be fine………..

Post by HokieTom »

I started my 14,000’ journey in the fall of 2020 at the age of 62 and Elbert was my first. I prepared in Virginia with lots of road miles and cardio. I was doing 15-20 miles per day 2 weeks before the trip. Then tapered the last week.

I did an acclimation hike on the first day to 13,600’ with no problems. I was planning on a second acclimation hike the next day, but since I felt good after day 1, I decided to go for Elbert on day 2.

I felt fine almost to the summit, decided to rest and eat my lunch prior to the last push. I stood up and immediately felt dizzy, had a headache, and also felt nauseous. I sat back down and rested more, took ibuprofen, and got some more fuel and water in me.

I was able to finish Elbert, but I learned a lesson. I have since completed 19 more 14’ers during 3 consecutive June trips, but I always do 2 acclimation days prior to going to 14k. I have had no problems with the altitude since.

Great luck on your journey!
DaveLanders
Posts: 587
Joined: 3/7/2009
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by DaveLanders »

HokieTom wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:56 pm I started my 14,000’ journey in the fall of 2020 at the age of 62 and Elbert was my first. I prepared in Virginia with lots of road miles and cardio. I was doing 15-20 miles per day 2 weeks before the trip. Then tapered the last week.

I did an acclimation hike on the first day to 13,600’ with no problems. I was planning on a second acclimation hike the next day, but since I felt good after day 1, I decided to go for Elbert on day 2.

I felt fine almost to the summit, decided to rest and eat my lunch prior to the last push. I stood up and immediately felt dizzy, had a headache, and also felt nauseous. I sat back down and rested more, took ibuprofen, and got some more fuel and water in me.

I was able to finish Elbert, but I learned a lesson. I have since completed 19 more 14’ers during 3 consecutive June trips, but I always do 2 acclimation days prior to going to 14k. I have had no problems with the altitude since.

Great luck on your journey!
There may actually be a different lesson here: don't eat your lunch while you're still going up. Your digestive system will divert blood flow so your muscles will get less oxygen. Snacks are fine to keep your energy level up. I've read that runners doing long distance events tend to eat around 200 calories per hour,
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Ryan P
Posts: 55
Joined: 6/26/2023
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by Ryan P »

I'll be camped near Leadville from Aug 27 - Sep 1 for a "Week of Peaks." At minimum I'll be doing Elbert and Massive, should be my 12th & 13th by then. My schedule that week is super flexible, weather permitting, so you're more than welcome to join me if dates sync up.
LarryM
Posts: 417
Joined: 5/11/2008
14ers: 29 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by LarryM »

So I think there are two different issues here, only one of which is being discussed:

-is there a significant difference between 12,000 feet and 14,000 feet in terms of risk of altitude issues (sickness or just discomfort)? I don't have much to add to that discussion; I agree that individuals differ and there is no way to know for sure in advance. I'd add only that IMO there isn't a significant difference in that respect between Elbert at 14,438 feet and some of the lower 14ers.

-but no one is addressing what I take to be the main question - IF the OP tackles a 14er, is Elbert a good choice for her first? And I think the answer there is a pretty definite yes:

--class one trail all the way (with only one stretch that I'd even call "difficult" class one, the climb to the first false summit);

--lots of people on the mountain - usually a minus for most of us, but for a first timer probably a good thing;

--all else being equal, the fact that it's the highest in CO IMO makes it a nice first time objective;

--more accessible than some of the other easy options, e.g., Handies, San Luis; even Grays/Torreys, while closer to the Denver metro, has a somewhat rough road to the trailhead, unless of course you add miles by doing it from the lower parking lot;

--OTOH no real downsides. Longer / more vert than some 14ers, but still only a 9.75 mile round trip & 4,500 feet of vert. IMO that just means potentially a slightly longer day - and even that is questionable, as the class one trail is probably going to allow faster movement for a fit newbie than a class 2 route.

If I had to make alternate suggestions (though again emphasizing that Elbert is a fine option):

-Huron;

-Grays & Torreys (my first two);

-Bierstadt I guess? I'm not sure why I'm hesitating on it, I guess it just feels "old hat" to me at this point, obviously not an issue for a newbie, and crowded, which is, as I said above, probably if anything a positive for a newbie.
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by mtree »

If you're in shape, it'll be a piece of cake. A bit long, but a super easy walk. About as defined a route as you'll ever encounter.

Regardless of what peak you choose the altitude is the altitude.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 3567
Joined: 12/5/2007
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)
 

Re: Elbert for a newbie?

Post by nyker »

14k from 12k is a meaningful jump particularly it you're coming from living at sea level or thereabouts and not habitually acclimatized being able to be in the mountains a few times each month where then it's really not a meaningful difference.

With that said, whether you choose a lower 14er, or Elbert is only a matter of up to 300-400 vertical ft which won't make a huge difference in itself assuming similar effort (vert/mileage) on a Class 1 route so from that perspective choosing Elbert vs another slightly lower 14er, Elbert should be fine.

Focus on proper acclimatizing, go slower as you climb up and be aware of any AMS symptoms. Monsoon season will still be there so pay attention to afternoon weather and try to be down below tree line by midday as you'll now have an extra 2,000 ft above tree line to contend with and get down from in the event of any thunderstorms come in.