Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
MayanRosales
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12/7/2024
- Trip Reports (0)
Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
Im planning a trip to solo summit Mount Elbert on dec 18th if the weather checks out, I will be flying in from denver and driving to leadville where I will spends my nights. My plan is to do a day hike most likely starting early morning around 5-6am to get an early start. Just looking for any extra tips that may help with my summit, aswell as best trailhead to do so. Ive heard about both southeast and northeast being good for winter but not fully decided which is best for winter. Aswell as if anyone will be hiking the mountain the same day or will be in leadville from Dec 16th-18th let me know as I would love to connect and meet with people who are also planning to summit Mount Elbert or surounding 14ers. Thank You!

-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
It's the East Ridge that is the standard winter conditions route. The road to the NE Ridge is usually closed by then and the SE ridge is a more difficult route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
MayanRosales
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12/7/2024
- Trip Reports (0)
-
greenonion
- Posts: 2184
- Joined: 10/3/2012
- 14ers: 52 1
- 13ers: 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
I recommend playing the Stones "Happy" on a loop all day if you hike Elbert on 18 Dec.MayanRosales wrote: ↑Sat Dec 07, 2024 9:09 pm Im planning a trip to solo summit Mount Elbert on dec 18th if the weather checks out, I will be flying in from denver and driving to leadville where I will spends my nights. My plan is to do a day hike most likely starting early morning around 5-6am to get an early start. Just looking for any extra tips that may help with my summit, aswell as best trailhead to do so. Ive heard about both southeast and northeast being good for winter but not fully decided which is best for winter. Aswell as if anyone will be hiking the mountain the same day or will be in leadville from Dec 16th-18th let me know as I would love to connect and meet with people who are also planning to summit Mount Elbert or surounding 14ers. Thank You!![]()
![]()
Re: Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
If you want a tip, delay your trip by a few days, and climb it after dec 21 so you can get a winter summit credit.
Dec 18 doesn't count as winter yet
PS Winter climbing the 14ers is a much, much more dangerous game then doing it in summer. Especially solo. Make sure you are very prepared.
Dec 18 doesn't count as winter yet
PS Winter climbing the 14ers is a much, much more dangerous game then doing it in summer. Especially solo. Make sure you are very prepared.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
-
MayanRosales
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12/7/2024
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
I would but i would be unable to do so with scheduling. any things that i should double check and make sure i have, specifically for a winter summit, i have a list just want to make sure i double check and dont miss anything that could be useful me to me.Trotter wrote: ↑Sun Dec 08, 2024 3:58 pm If you want a tip, delay your trip by a few days, and climb it after dec 21 so you can get a winter summit credit.![]()
Dec 18 doesn't count as winter yet
PS Winter climbing the 14ers is a much, much more dangerous game then doing it in summer. Especially solo. Make sure you are very prepared.
Re: Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
A better question is have you done any 14ers or any high altitude hiking in summer conditions? Also do you have winter mountaineering experience?MayanRosales wrote: ↑Sun Dec 08, 2024 6:28 pmI would but i would be unable to do so with scheduling. any things that i should double check and make sure i have, specifically for a winter summit, i have a list just want to make sure i double check and dont miss anything that could be useful me to me.Trotter wrote: ↑Sun Dec 08, 2024 3:58 pm If you want a tip, delay your trip by a few days, and climb it after dec 21 so you can get a winter summit credit.![]()
Dec 18 doesn't count as winter yet
PS Winter climbing the 14ers is a much, much more dangerous game then doing it in summer. Especially solo. Make sure you are very prepared.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
-
al1_1
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 12/9/2024
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Dec 18th Mount Elbert summit, looking for tips
Posting here bc OP looks very similar in nature to by own situation. Would love to hear how it goes next week for you, if you go ahead as planned?
I am planning on heading to mt elbert to see if a winter ascent is viable on weekend 14/15 Feb 25. The very specific dates are bc I've got a free weekend whilst in the US with work (over from the UK).
I am looking to understand if mountain guides are routinely available to take individuals up the E ridge, conditions permitting, and what would be a reasonable price to pay.
I am completely comfortable with high grade winter conditions with all of my experience being in Scotland. I wouldnt need kit hire, less maybe snow shoes (size in the hold luggage!). I'm keen for a guide mainly just to understand snow pack in a region where I've not routed before, and to buy out some risk and enjoy it a bit more.
For disclosure, if conditions aren't favourable, I'll still visit and look to go low instead, no sense in walking headlong into white for 10hours.
Additionally, if anyone is local by absolute chance then happy to meet and exchange some ideas!
Tia!
I am planning on heading to mt elbert to see if a winter ascent is viable on weekend 14/15 Feb 25. The very specific dates are bc I've got a free weekend whilst in the US with work (over from the UK).
I am looking to understand if mountain guides are routinely available to take individuals up the E ridge, conditions permitting, and what would be a reasonable price to pay.
I am completely comfortable with high grade winter conditions with all of my experience being in Scotland. I wouldnt need kit hire, less maybe snow shoes (size in the hold luggage!). I'm keen for a guide mainly just to understand snow pack in a region where I've not routed before, and to buy out some risk and enjoy it a bit more.
For disclosure, if conditions aren't favourable, I'll still visit and look to go low instead, no sense in walking headlong into white for 10hours.
Additionally, if anyone is local by absolute chance then happy to meet and exchange some ideas!
Tia!
