First 14er this weekend?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MindfulMuse
Posts: 2
Joined: 8/28/2025
Trip Reports (0)
 

First 14er this weekend?

Post by MindfulMuse »

I've been building up my endurance hiking this summer and really wanted to try a 14er this weekend. Was thinking Grays.

I know it's a holiday weekend but I'm okay with things being a bit busier since I'm going alone. I know about afternoon rain and the potential for thunderstorms so planning on starting early 5am.

Am I missing something?
User avatar
climbingcue
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10/11/2011
14ers: 58  8  31 
13ers: 512 34 22
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First 14er this weekend?

Post by climbingcue »

Starting early is definitely a great idea, you will have to be at the trailhead super early just to get a parking spot. Good luck and enjoy your hike.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er: 102 months.
seannunn
Posts: 439
Joined: 3/6/2024
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: First 14er this weekend?

Post by seannunn »

Grays is a great place to start, as you say, you won't really be alone.
Take plenty of water and a little bit of food, even if you don't think you will need it.
Start slow and build your effort as you go.
Watch the weather and don't be afraid to turn around if it looks bad, even if it is only 9am (thunderstorms are possible 24 hours a day, they are just much less likely in the mornings).
Above all, have fun and come back safe.

Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."

--Psalm 36:6
MindfulMuse
Posts: 2
Joined: 8/28/2025
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First 14er this weekend?

Post by MindfulMuse »

I had been thinking about going Saturday, but looking at weather looks like maybe it makes more sense to postpone until Sunday
User avatar
Kiefer
Posts: 1914
Joined: 5/10/2008
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 364 24
Trip Reports (30)
 

Re: First 14er this weekend?

Post by Kiefer »

MindfulMuse wrote: ↑Fri Aug 29, 2025 11:23 am I had been thinking about going Saturday, but looking at weather looks like maybe it makes more sense to postpone until Sunday
The Grays/Torreys parking lot fills up REAL QUICK normally. And with this being a major holiday weekend, you can expect it to be full even faster.
I'd probably bump your start time forward an hour.
User avatar
MidsizeAl
Posts: 187
Joined: 2/17/2020
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 61 2
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: First 14er this weekend?

Post by MidsizeAl »

MindfulMuse wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 2:13 pm I've been building up my endurance hiking this summer and really wanted to try a 14er this weekend. Was thinking Grays.

I know it's a holiday weekend but I'm okay with things being a bit busier since I'm going alone. I know about afternoon rain and the potential for thunderstorms so planning on starting early 5am.

Am I missing something?
About a month ago, on a non-holiday weekend, I arrived at this trailhead at 5pm on a Friday and it was nearly full. By the time we went to bed at 8pm, it was completely full. I would definitely plan to arrive the night before if possible!