Route planning newbie! How do I plan my route?
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
swimmerguy
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 9/6/2025
- Trip Reports (0)
Route planning newbie! How do I plan my route?
Hello, I am planning my solo trip from Purgatory Creek Trail to the Chicago basin and end at Elks Park. I hear people using Caltopo or GPX Studio to plan their route and way markers then export that into an app like Gaia GPS where I will upload for offline use. Do I have this correct? Are there any other tips any experienced backpacker has?
Re: Route planning newbie! How do I plan my route?
That's a great plan! I heavily use Gaia but will often do the route planning in Caltopo. There's also lots of GPX files in the GPX library that you can directly download and import into Gaia. I then will record my route in Gaia but this does use battery so I'd plan to bring a charge block for your phone when backpacking. Happy adventures!
