I looked around and couldn’t find any info on this in any other posts. I am planning a several week trip to the Colorado Front Range after I graduate in May of 2027. I know it’s a ways out but it’s my first trip that I’m planning solely on my own and likely doing solo (none of my friends are into this stuff).
My plan is to go do, amongst some smaller peaks for acclimatizing, Mt. Bierstadt, Grays and Torreys, and Quandary Peak. These will be my first 14ers. My plan is to go late May to early June. I understand the weather varies by year, but in general, will I need crampons and mountaineering boots like La Sportiva Trangos, or are my normal hiking boots with microspikes generally good enough? Some people have also said I should bring an ice axe as a just in case. Is that necessary? I’m bring trekking poles.
Is there any gear that y’all would say I 100% need for this time of year?
Thanks in advance. I want to do this right and not become a statistic and make things hard on other climbers and SAR.
Gear for Late May/Early June
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Nick37
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 3/20/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
-
dwoodward13
- Posts: 934
- Joined: 3/26/2011
- 14ers: 58 12
- 13ers: 194 6
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Gear for Late May/Early June
A normal (waterproof) boot with microspikes/poles will be fine for those peaks. If you get cold feet, a winter insulated boot wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll also likely want snowshoes but that is dependent on the year. Get gaiters for your boots which will keep the snow from getting in the top. Note that likely for G/T in a normal snow year you will probably be starting from I-70 adding quite a bit of mileage. Bierstadt typically is plowed to the top TH by Memorial Day but if is a big snow year that could still be closed as well. Quandary parking/shuttle reservations usually start mid June but keep an eye on if that shifts.
Last edited by dwoodward13 on Fri Mar 20, 2026 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Nick37
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 3/20/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Gear for Late May/Early June
Awesome! Thank you dwoodward13!
