Decalibron in June, Lightning?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
flatlanddreamer
Posts: 3
Joined: 7/5/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by flatlanddreamer »

I'm out of options on getting on with the other 14er's I wanted to do first, which I'd researched excessively. NOW this June I'm going to have time to do the Decalibron.
The rule usually is that time of year to be on the decent by early afternoon to avoid the regular afternoon lightning. Well how do I do that when I'm on the Decalibron? Is this just a bad time of year to make this hike?
User avatar
CaptainSuburbia
Posts: 1198
Joined: 10/7/2017
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 168 10
Trip Reports (64)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Start early, go clockwise and be coming down Bross before noon. It's a short route.
Last edited by CaptainSuburbia on Tue Feb 24, 2026 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Save the big cats
You can strike anywhere
User avatar
flatlanddreamer
Posts: 3
Joined: 7/5/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by flatlanddreamer »

So lightning is an issue... Ah I was hoping to take my sweet time since I have no idea when I'll get back.
Thank you so much for your knowledge.
User avatar
climbingcue
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10/11/2011
14ers: 58  8  31 
13ers: 512 34 22
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by climbingcue »

flatlanddreamer wrote: ↑Tue Feb 24, 2026 3:41 pm So lightning is an issue... Ah I was hoping to take my sweet time since I have no idea when I'll get back.
Thank you so much for your knowledge.
Colorado has lightning issues all summer long in the mountains.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er: 102 months.
User avatar
madmattd
Posts: 403
Joined: 12/2/2017
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 129 7
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by madmattd »

And personally I don't love the rule of thumb tossed around of "start your descent by noon". "Treeline by noon" is a better one in my option. I personally like to be at least close to treeline by noon if it's a day with any notable storm chance (most years, that's a big chunk of June-early Sept). I've still gotten caught in a number of early afternoon storms that way, but at least I'm below the trees when they hit, versus having just left the highest peak(s) around. (And yes, I break this rule plenty of times too, but that's with a good understanding of the weather systems in pay that day, watching the skies, etc).

Start early, even if it means an hour or so under headlamp, and you'll often be done by early afternoon, and have a good chance of not having to worry about storms. Just note that sometimes the weather patterns are such that it's building and/or stormy at 9am - those are the days you just shrug and call it off. They're not common, but they happen.
User avatar
CaptainSuburbia
Posts: 1198
Joined: 10/7/2017
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 168 10
Trip Reports (64)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

flatlanddreamer wrote: ↑Tue Feb 24, 2026 3:41 pm So lightning is an issue... Ah I was hoping to take my sweet time since I have no idea when I'll get back.
Thank you so much for your knowledge.
Of course! September, October are better for taking your time.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Save the big cats
You can strike anywhere
User avatar
dwoodward13
Posts: 934
Joined: 3/26/2011
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 194 6
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by dwoodward13 »

I would say overall lesser chance of afternoon storms in June compared to July/August for example, but that doesn’t mean no chance. All depends on the weather for a given day. No one has a crystal ball.

For longer term planning purposes I would always plan to be back below treeline, or in this case the TH by noon since it’s all above treeline anyways. But also there is possibility to have a more relaxed start once you get a forecast the day or two beforehand.
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by mtree »

Decalibro (notice I don't call it DecalibroN!) isn't a very long hike. Its not much more effort than Bierstadt. Strong hikers will knock it out in about 4 hours. If you want to take your time, feel free. Like all June 14er hikes the longer you're up there the more time for storms. And June is primo for lightning. Since its all above treeline when should you finish? As early as possible. Even then it may not matter. Plan accordingly and pray you survive.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
User avatar
flatlanddreamer
Posts: 3
Joined: 7/5/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by flatlanddreamer »

Thank you everyone for their responses. I'll plan to get below treeline by noon and check the weather before and along the way. I have a guy local to me that was talking about how perfect September was for 14er's. It's just hard to travel 16 hours to do something for myself when I have three children that I'm responsible for most of the year. Even during the summer it can be especially tough.
seannunn
Posts: 439
Joined: 3/6/2024
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by seannunn »

madmattd wrote: ↑Tue Feb 24, 2026 4:28 pm And personally I don't love the rule of thumb tossed around of "start your descent by noon". "Treeline by noon" is a better one in my option. I personally like to be at least close to treeline by noon if it's a day with any notable storm chance (most years, that's a big chunk of June-early Sept). I've still gotten caught in a number of early afternoon storms that way, but at least I'm below the trees when they hit, versus having just left the highest peak(s) around. (And yes, I break this rule plenty of times too, but that's with a good understanding of the weather systems in pay that day, watching the skies, etc).

Start early, even if it means an hour or so under headlamp, and you'll often be done by early afternoon, and have a good chance of not having to worry about storms. Just note that sometimes the weather patterns are such that it's building and/or stormy at 9am - those are the days you just shrug and call it off. They're not common, but they happen.
+1. Off the summit by noon is a minimum to aim for, not the ideal.
Keep in mind it is still no guarantee. We were chased off of Belford/Oxford by lightning at 10am once.

Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."

--Psalm 36:6
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 3567
Joined: 12/5/2007
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by nyker »

flatlanddreamer wrote: ↑Tue Feb 24, 2026 2:59 pm I'm out of options on getting on with the other 14er's I wanted to do first, which I'd researched excessively. NOW this June I'm going to have time to do the Decalibron.
The rule usually is that time of year to be on the decent by early afternoon to avoid the regular afternoon lightning. Well how do I do that when I'm on the Decalibron? Is this just a bad time of year to make this hike?
Are you planning early June or late June? That will probably influence probability of monsoons and start time.

If you want to spend more time and not rush so much, starting earlier will enable you to do that, especially if you're coming from lower elevation and you're not acclimatized. As others have commented, it's not a super long hike if you're acclimatized and local, getting out often, but if you're coming from a flatland area as your handle suggests, it could take quite a while if you're moving very slow due to the altitude.

The earlier you get there also increases the odds of you getting a better parking spot and having less people on the mountain with you. I'd say plan to get there, to park and be ready to go a good hour before daylight or more. It's not a hard hike as 14ers go, but you really don't want to be sprinting down off those summits in a lightning event.
Fast Jimm
Posts: 51
Joined: 3/11/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Decalibron in June, Lightning?

Post by Fast Jimm »

Good responses and good plan to be off the summits and heading down (with no reclimb left) by noon- or earlier if conditions warrant.

If at all possible, I'd strongly recommend a day of hiking at altitude prior to the big day. A few miles or so around 11-13k is ideal to get a workout in but save the big show until after this full day of acclimatizing with modest exertion.