Hi, I am new to the group and my name is Trey. I moved to COS 2 years ago from Georgia. I grew up camping and hiking as a kid and moved out here because I love being in nature and a great job opportunity. LOL Anyways, I'm ready to start my 14er checklist. Of course I want to do Pikes Peak because it's where I live. But, my coworker is telling me to start with Mt. Bierstat. Looking for some advice from the professionals! Thanks in advance
also, is there a app to use this forum on my phone? Been awhile since I've used a forum.
Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
treyk119
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 5/19/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Trey Kropff
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
-
BillMiddlebrook
- Site Administrator
- Posts: 6779
- Joined: 7/25/2004
- 14ers: 58 47 19
- 13ers: 174 45 37
- Trip Reports (5)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Welcome!
1) Start here: https://www.14ers.com/getting-started
The "Planning Climbs" lists the easiest starter routes.
2) No. The 14ers.com mobile provides the information and tools you'll want when you actually hit the trail: Peak info and conditions reports, route descriptions, trailheads and driving directions, mapping/track recording, etc. It is not a replication of everything on the site, like the forum.
Have fun!
1) Start here: https://www.14ers.com/getting-started
The "Planning Climbs" lists the easiest starter routes.
2) No. The 14ers.com mobile provides the information and tools you'll want when you actually hit the trail: Peak info and conditions reports, route descriptions, trailheads and driving directions, mapping/track recording, etc. It is not a replication of everything on the site, like the forum.
Have fun!
Fascism, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not inevitable—they are choices. And so are compassion, understanding, and justice. Educate yourself and choose better.
-
treyk119
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 5/19/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Thank You. Looks like Bierstat is on the list!!! love this website and the mobile app looks great.. Thank You again
Trey Kropff
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
-
seannunn
- Posts: 439
- Joined: 3/6/2024
- 14ers: 54
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Can't tell if you are only asking for advice on what mountain to select, or more general.
There are lots of threads you can look up that have all kinds of advice for newbies, and go to the spot that Bill recommended.
At the risk of redundancy, here is the short list:
Make sure you are fit.
Start EARLY. As in sunrise at the very latest, and that's if its a short climb.
Take plenty of food and water.
I would go with a partner, although if you do Bierstadt on a summer day you will definitely have company on the mountain.
Test all of your gear before you go.
Have fun and enjoy the experience.
Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
There are lots of threads you can look up that have all kinds of advice for newbies, and go to the spot that Bill recommended.
At the risk of redundancy, here is the short list:
Make sure you are fit.
Start EARLY. As in sunrise at the very latest, and that's if its a short climb.
Take plenty of food and water.
I would go with a partner, although if you do Bierstadt on a summer day you will definitely have company on the mountain.
Test all of your gear before you go.
Have fun and enjoy the experience.
Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
--Psalm 36:6
--Psalm 36:6
-
Above_Treeline
- Posts: 439
- Joined: 8/19/2017
- 14ers: 3
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
I'd recommend checking conditions there could be snowy conditions up there. Sure its hot in Georgia this time of year (I'm in TX) but I think its still early up on 14ers.treyk119 wrote: ↑Tue May 19, 2026 10:54 am Hi, I am new to the group and my name is Trey. I moved to COS 2 years ago from Georgia. I grew up camping and hiking as a kid and moved out here because I love being in nature and a great job opportunity. LOL Anyways, I'm ready to start my 14er checklist. Of course I want to do Pikes Peak because it's where I live. But, my coworker is telling me to start with Mt. Bierstat. Looking for some advice from the professionals! Thanks in advance
also, is there a app to use this forum on my phone? Been awhile since I've used a forum.
I did Huron and Sherman, I really didn't find Huron more difficult even starting from 2wd and its more scenic. Although I did do them consecutive days Huron 1st. Bierstadt might be excellent too Evans looks harder but not too far from summit lake, bierstadt and evans connected actually more difficult though
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
-
treyk119
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 5/19/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Looks like my first 14er will be Mt. Sherman. It's a shorter route and my friend that will be with me has done a handful of them and hasn't checked this one off his list. Does anyone have any pointers about parking or anything else we should know before we go? Thanks in advance!!!
Trey Kropff
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
-
Ptglhs
- Posts: 1582
- Joined: 1/6/2016
- 14ers: 58 8
- 13ers: 86 2
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Trailhead status updates will let you know what people have said recently about the trailhead. The website also describes the roads in question and uses a scale from paved to "abandon all hope" Sherman's a rough two-wheel drive dirt road.treyk119 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 14, 2026 5:50 am Looks like my first 14er will be Mt. Sherman. It's a shorter route and my friend that will be with me has done a handful of them and hasn't checked this one off his list. Does anyone have any pointers about parking or anything else we should know before we go? Thanks in advance!!!
Sherman is probably going to be on most people's list for easiest 14er, although that's like saying you're the thinnest kid at fat camp.
All of the questions you're asking are available on this site, have been posted on these forums, and it's pretty easy to find. And honestly, don't overthink most of this stuff. Start at sunrise, have fun, and if the weather looks like it's getting dicey turnaround. There's a lot of hand holding and a weird excessive caution on this website for activities that are mostly just walking up a big old pile of rocks. Once you start getting into the class 3, 4, or technical climbing, or doing mountains with no Trail and not a lot of people on them, it's a different conversation.
-
daway8
- Posts: 1708
- Joined: 8/24/2017
- 14ers: 58 31
- 13ers: 187 30
- Trip Reports (86)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Another basic tip people sometimes overlook: bring plenty of layers - it's usually a LOT cooler up top than at the trailhead - it's not unheard of for the temperature to be 30F at the summit and 70 or 80F at the trailhead when you come down. Windchill (or lack thereof) makes a huge difference too.
And set your own pace - going too fast drains your energy super fast.
And set your own pace - going too fast drains your energy super fast.
-
seannunn
- Posts: 439
- Joined: 3/6/2024
- 14ers: 54
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
One nice thing about the standard route and "trailhead" is that you just drive up a road as far as you are comfortable driving, find a safe place to pull over, and park there. There is no defined trailhead (unless there is a 4WD one up a lot further up than I ever drove). The old mines and buildings are kind of cool to look at; don't recommend you go into them though.Ptglhs wrote: ↑Sun Jun 14, 2026 8:21 amTrailhead status updates will let you know what people have said recently about the trailhead. The website also describes the roads in question and uses a scale from paved to "abandon all hope" Sherman's a rough two-wheel drive dirt road.treyk119 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 14, 2026 5:50 am Looks like my first 14er will be Mt. Sherman. It's a shorter route and my friend that will be with me has done a handful of them and hasn't checked this one off his list. Does anyone have any pointers about parking or anything else we should know before we go? Thanks in advance!!!
Sherman is probably going to be on most people's list for easiest 14er, although that's like saying you're the thinnest kid at fat camp.
All of the questions you're asking are available on this site, have been posted on these forums, and it's pretty easy to find. And honestly, don't overthink most of this stuff. Start at sunrise, have fun, and if the weather looks like it's getting dicey turnaround. There's a lot of hand holding and a weird excessive caution on this website for activities that are mostly just walking up a big old pile of rocks. Once you start getting into the class 3, 4, or technical climbing, or doing mountains with no Trail and not a lot of people on them, it's a different conversation.
Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
--Psalm 36:6
--Psalm 36:6
-
nyker
- Posts: 3567
- Joined: 12/5/2007
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 25
- Trip Reports (69)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
In doing Sherman you could also try and get two close 13ers, Sheridan and Gemini too.
-
treyk119
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 5/19/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
I would love to, but unfortunately i'm fitting this hike in between dropping off and picking up the kiddo from preschool. I think I saw a youtube video about doing those as well.
Trey Kropff
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
-
treyk119
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 5/19/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Newbie looking for advice on my first 14er
Thanks! im packing a thin hoodie i usually have on longer hikesdaway8 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 14, 2026 11:01 am Another basic tip people sometimes overlook: bring plenty of layers - it's usually a LOT cooler up top than at the trailhead - it's not unheard of for the temperature to be 30F at the summit and 70 or 80F at the trailhead when you come down. Windchill (or lack thereof) makes a huge difference too.
And set your own pace - going too fast drains your energy super fast.
Trey Kropff
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
Colorado Springs, CO
I will raise my eyes to the mountains; From where will my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1-2
