The website is looking well refined. Nicely done.
The way you are categorizing accidents reminds me of what CAIC does with avalanche accidents. And something that CAIC does that some people are opposed to you doing is analyzing accidents. Some objective analysis can be beneficial. it's good to keep speculation to a minimum and make it clear when you are speculating. Analysis can identify patterns that could help prevent future accidents; patterns beyond "don't be a male". But there is a rub there. CAIC analyzes accidents and never reveals the individuals involved. Utah does however. Guess it's your discretion. Be sensitive. Don't disparage the dead. But if I die in the mountains, feel free to analyze the circumstances of my death ad nauseam. It's worth it if it can help prevent future accidents.
Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
-
Timmy
- Posts: 301
- Joined: 7/5/2005
- 14ers: 57
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I've made quite a few changes since your comment so feel free to check it out and offer any feedback.
The site now has a domain name / URL
https://14er-deaths.com/
I've made quite a few changes since your comment so feel free to check it out and offer any feedback.
The site now has a domain name / URL
https://14er-deaths.com/
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
-
Timmy
- Posts: 301
- Joined: 7/5/2005
- 14ers: 57
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Quick status.
I've added an interactive map. I modeled it after the Colorado Ski Incidences map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 249998&z=7
I have two friend listed on that map
Google Maps doesn't offer external hosted updates so I've went with an opensource map that will update the map when the database is updated, so it's always in sync with the site. The map will improve and I'm open to your feedback. Here's a link to the stand-alone map: https://14er-deaths.com/map.html
I've added a contact form to contact me directly.
I've removed and merged/edited quite a few duplicated and/or unsubstantiated records. For example, I couldn't find any record of a plane crash near Kit Carson, however I found a documented crash on Mount Yale.
And lastly, the site has a permanent domain: https://14er-deaths.com/
Thank you everyone who has contributed or offered feedback.
Timber
I've added an interactive map. I modeled it after the Colorado Ski Incidences map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 249998&z=7
I have two friend listed on that map
Google Maps doesn't offer external hosted updates so I've went with an opensource map that will update the map when the database is updated, so it's always in sync with the site. The map will improve and I'm open to your feedback. Here's a link to the stand-alone map: https://14er-deaths.com/map.html
I've added a contact form to contact me directly.
I've removed and merged/edited quite a few duplicated and/or unsubstantiated records. For example, I couldn't find any record of a plane crash near Kit Carson, however I found a documented crash on Mount Yale.
And lastly, the site has a permanent domain: https://14er-deaths.com/
Thank you everyone who has contributed or offered feedback.
Timber
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
-
greenonion
- Posts: 2184
- Joined: 10/3/2012
- 14ers: 52 1
- 13ers: 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Have you added anything to your ai relationship, disclosure?Timmy wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:26 pm Quick status.
I've added an interactive map. I modeled it after the Colorado Ski Incidences map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 249998&z=7
I have two friend listed on that map
Google Maps doesn't offer external hosted updates so I've went with an opensource map that will update the map when the database is updated, so it's always in sync with the site. The map will improve and I'm open to your feedback. Here's a link to the stand-alone map: https://14er-deaths.com/map.html
I've added a contact form to contact me directly.
I've removed and merged/edited quite a few duplicated and/or unsubstantiated records. For example, I couldn't find any record of a plane crash near Kit Carson, however I found a documented crash on Mount Yale.
And lastly, the site has a permanent domain: https://14er-deaths.com/
Thank you everyone who has contributed or offered feedback.
Timber
-
Timmy
- Posts: 301
- Joined: 7/5/2005
- 14ers: 57
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
You’ve posted twice without contributing anything useful, but I’ll answer your question: No, I don’t use AI to compile the data. All information is either crowdsourced or entered by me, and I personally check and recheck every submission.
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
-
Alpine_Iris
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 7/3/2022
- 14ers: 25 6
- 13ers: 82 1
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
I think responding so rudely to a very valid question about your llm use shows that you don't have the sensitivity required for a project with this subject matter.
imo using any llm generated text in this project is insulting to the people whose deaths you are documenting. It shows that you do not care enough to write it yourself. If you absolutely must use llm text you need to disclose it visibly on your website so people who disagree with its use can avoid your website.
The website feels thrown together and messy. It does not feel like the appropriate amount of care was put into it for such serious subject matter.
here's a few things that I found particularly weird/jarring
Do you really think your website "document[s] these events with respect for the people who died, their families, and the mountains themselves" as it says in your about page?
imo using any llm generated text in this project is insulting to the people whose deaths you are documenting. It shows that you do not care enough to write it yourself. If you absolutely must use llm text you need to disclose it visibly on your website so people who disagree with its use can avoid your website.
The website feels thrown together and messy. It does not feel like the appropriate amount of care was put into it for such serious subject matter.
here's a few things that I found particularly weird/jarring
- The about page is not well written, and really feels like llm text (please tell me how you type this character —)
- strange wording: "Fourteeners (14er)", "fourteen-thousand-foot peaks"
- The unreadable text over the background image (you're telling me you can make a list that dynamically changes based on clicking a histogram, but can't change a background image or text color???)
- fatalities by year histogram requires scrolling and has a discontinuous x axis (easy fix - just bin by decade)
Do you really think your website "document[s] these events with respect for the people who died, their families, and the mountains themselves" as it says in your about page?
https://listsofjohn.com/m/Iris
(She/Her)
walk fearlessly, well loved one.
Return with us, return to us,
be always coming home.
(She/Her)
walk fearlessly, well loved one.
Return with us, return to us,
be always coming home.
-
Timmy
- Posts: 301
- Joined: 7/5/2005
- 14ers: 57
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
What does llm mean?
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
-
d_baker
- Posts: 3308
- Joined: 11/18/2007
- 14ers: 58 17
- 13ers: 397 13
- Trip Reports (59)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Furthermore, I don't think you should be using the names of party members.
Why not use, "climber 1, climber 2" or something similar?
CAIC does similar reporting when they issue their synopsis on avy accidents.
I'm curious how you received some of the info.
Why not use, "climber 1, climber 2" or something similar?
CAIC does similar reporting when they issue their synopsis on avy accidents.
I'm curious how you received some of the info.
-
Timmy
- Posts: 301
- Joined: 7/5/2005
- 14ers: 57
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
I've answered both of your questions previously but I'm happy to readdress your inquiry.
My contribution to the incidences is less than 10% (estimate) — so 90% of the incidences have been submitted by fellow climbers or interested parties. Despite what others have accused me of, I'm unaware of any AI data entered. I've not used AI for research and I'm guessing that accusing people of using AI is the new norm to discount things they don't like.
Regarding the use of names. ALL information is from a public record. If I cannot substantiate an event, I remove it. With that said, and this mostly applies to the older records, I've not verified all the records on the site.
BTW, is the HTML entity to make this character: — . It's called an EM dash and the dash is the width of the letter M — therefore, the width of the dash is relative to the font the website is using. The EM dash symbol has been a web standard property since 1997 (based off of memory) and there's nothing special about using it. In fact, I probably overuse it — but never thought it would anger people! 
My contribution to the incidences is less than 10% (estimate) — so 90% of the incidences have been submitted by fellow climbers or interested parties. Despite what others have accused me of, I'm unaware of any AI data entered. I've not used AI for research and I'm guessing that accusing people of using AI is the new norm to discount things they don't like.
Regarding the use of names. ALL information is from a public record. If I cannot substantiate an event, I remove it. With that said, and this mostly applies to the older records, I've not verified all the records on the site.
BTW,
Code: Select all
—(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Large language model.
Constructive criticism: The text over the image is impossible to read.
If info is publicly available and it's being compiled, I don't see an issue with this whatsoever. I've lost friends in the mountains and been on the scene of fatal accidents. It sucks. But somebody documenting these tragic incidents does not seem to me insensitive.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
-
Violet
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 9/5/2022
- 14ers: 20
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Hi,
I just summited Mt Princeton yesterday. There is a monument right under the peak which was for the one who was struck by lightning. I haven’t seen it on the data page:
A 29-year-old hiker from Boulder was fatally struck by lightning on Mount Princeton in September 1995.
I just summited Mt Princeton yesterday. There is a monument right under the peak which was for the one who was struck by lightning. I haven’t seen it on the data page:
A 29-year-old hiker from Boulder was fatally struck by lightning on Mount Princeton in September 1995.
Timmy wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:26 pm Quick status.
I've added an interactive map. I modeled it after the Colorado Ski Incidences map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 249998&z=7
I have two friend listed on that map
Google Maps doesn't offer external hosted updates so I've went with an opensource map that will update the map when the database is updated, so it's always in sync with the site. The map will improve and I'm open to your feedback. Here's a link to the stand-alone map: https://14er-deaths.com/map.html
I've added a contact form to contact me directly.
I've removed and merged/edited quite a few duplicated and/or unsubstantiated records. For example, I couldn't find any record of a plane crash near Kit Carson, however I found a documented crash on Mount Yale.
And lastly, the site has a permanent domain: https://14er-deaths.com/
Thank you everyone who has contributed or offered feedback.
Timber
-
Timmy
- Posts: 301
- Joined: 7/5/2005
- 14ers: 57
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers
Thanks Violet,
Here's what I found:
Catherine M. Pugin, 29 (maybe 30), from Boulder, was fatally struck by lightning on September 9, 1995, at an elevation of 13,920 feet on Mount Princeton in Colorado's Collegiate Peaks Range.
She was found at approximately 13,920 feet and her body was recovered the following day, Sunday, September 10.
Caught in a violent afternoon storm; search and rescue efforts were delayed overnight due to dangerous weather conditions.
A bronze memorial plaque was later placed near the site in her memory
I will add this to the site.
Thank you for your contribution!!!

Here's what I found:
Catherine M. Pugin, 29 (maybe 30), from Boulder, was fatally struck by lightning on September 9, 1995, at an elevation of 13,920 feet on Mount Princeton in Colorado's Collegiate Peaks Range.
She was found at approximately 13,920 feet and her body was recovered the following day, Sunday, September 10.
Caught in a violent afternoon storm; search and rescue efforts were delayed overnight due to dangerous weather conditions.
A bronze memorial plaque was later placed near the site in her memory
I will add this to the site.
Thank you for your contribution!!!
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
