Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hellmanm wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:08 am
+2. If I died in the mtns, I wouldn't want to be on this list.
Thanks Hellman, and thanks to the DM's I'm receiving.
For the haters and trolls, your all blocked.
Okay, idk who is DM-ing you, but do you really think that calling people "haters and trolls" for not indulging you here is appropriate? Deaths in the mtns aren't your fun collectibles; they're stories of incredible lives lost, families and friends who suffer, and so much more. Nobody is trolling you here. I hope Bill takes this thread down, as it's incredibly disrespectful not only to those who died, but to everyone they left behind.
Timmy the tool man has spoken.
I just can't imagine that timmy was a valued member of SAR with the lack of empathy and understanding.
Or, timmy saw too much and is permanently damaged and has become disillusioned and cold.
And, it's you're. You are blocked.
hellmanm wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:08 am
+2. If I died in the mtns, I wouldn't want to be on this list.
Thanks Hellman, and thanks to the DM's I'm receiving.
For the haters and trolls, your all blocked.
Okay, idk who is DM-ing you, but do you really think that calling people "haters and trolls" for not indulging you here is appropriate? Deaths in the mtns aren't your fun collectibles; they're stories of incredible lives lost, families and friends who suffer, and so much more. Nobody is trolling you here. I hope Bill takes this thread down, as it's incredibly disrespectful not only to those who died, but to everyone they left behind.
100%. Sorry to see that the OP's immaturity has caused it to devolve into this. It's indeed incredibly disrespectful and I hope anyone who has lost someone in the mountains will either not come across this thread or at least realize that the OP's perspective is not shared by the rest of us.
I was lukewarm on this project until your recent spate of tone deaf and insensitive comments. Now? Two thumbs down. Lack of accountability and blame shifting when running a website for such a touchy subject is beyond the pale. I serve on my county's technical rescue team and we see the aftermath of these deaths. There is a real human side to these tragedies and you're treating that humanity with contempt. You say you served on a SAR team yourself, and this is how you react when people give their valid criticism? Sad at best. Show some humility.
Timmy wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:29 am
Based on the amount of positive replies, community assistance, and DM's that have offered support -- I get the impression that there's a small minority of miserable people who have nothing better to do except be negative.
Why would I be miserable? I'm not spending my free time building a record of fatalities?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
supranihilest wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:38 am
I was lukewarm on this project until your recent spate of tone deaf and insensitive comments. Now? Two thumbs down. Lack of accountability and blame shifting when running a website for such a touchy subject is beyond the pale. I serve on my county's technical rescue team and we see the aftermath of these deaths. There is a real human side to these tragedies and you're treating that humanity with contempt. You say you served on a SAR team yourself, and this is how you react when people give their valid criticism? Sad at best. Show some humility.
+1 here.
Hypothetically, if I went and visited a piece of bookkeeping on lives lost on high altitude peaks, I would imagine the founder of such a site to be an individual with great respect for the mountains, reverence for inevitable accidents and maybe even a story or 20 of how they relate to people who feel the effects of tragedies like these. This isn't the type of project that gets started for no reason, and I don't doubt that there is lots of motivation behind maintaining something like this.
Alternatively, insensitivity and respect are mutually exclusive in my mind. Stories of accidents on and around peaks (especially ones that carry emotional weight like these) are easily clouded by emotions, and the last thing they need is more storms rolling in.
hellmanm wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:08 am
+2. If I died in the mtns, I wouldn't want to be on this list.
+3
Last edited by backcountrybrodes on Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom is chasing me, but I have always been faster.
Isaiah 40:31 Strava