Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Timmy
Posts: 314
Joined: 7/5/2005
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Timmy »

backcountrybrodes wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:59 pm If I died in the mtns, I wouldn't want to be on this list.
Thank you for letting me know. \:D/ I'll add you to the troll list since your comment is off-topic and not helpful, and quite frankly, I couldn't care less about your opinions. =D>

Image
No good deed goes unpunished
User avatar
rmcpherson
Posts: 138
Joined: 9/3/2018
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 88 2 1
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by rmcpherson »

supranihilest wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:38 am I was lukewarm on this project until your recent spate of tone deaf and insensitive comments. Now? Two thumbs down. Lack of accountability and blame shifting when running a website for such a touchy subject is beyond the pale. I serve on my county's technical rescue team and we see the aftermath of these deaths. There is a real human side to these tragedies and you're treating that humanity with contempt. You say you served on a SAR team yourself, and this is how you react when people give their valid criticism? Sad at best. Show some humility.
I previously defended the concept of this site but I agree that the tone of responses from OP has unfortunately become problematic and does not engender trust that victims and survivors will be respected going forward. It's unfortunate, as I'm still not opposed to the concept if done respectfully, but the recent comments don't inspire confidence.
User avatar
Timmy
Posts: 314
Joined: 7/5/2005
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Timmy »

If you go through the threads you will see that people were attacking me personally, and my response is to block the trolls.

This is a memorial section of a climbing forum. If you don't have anything to offer related to the memory of a climber, then don't comment or respond. It's not difficult.
No good deed goes unpunished
User avatar
CheapCigarMan
Posts: 651
Joined: 12/10/2014
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 161 2
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by CheapCigarMan »

ekalina wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:02 am
While I didn't state it in my earlier post, this is another reason why having this project depend on a single individual is undesirable. Presumably, if it had been undertaken by a public or private organization, there would be a group of people involved and hopefully they would preemptively come to the conclusion that laughing emojis would be a poor response to the criticism they were receiving. Instead, the success of the current project depends entirely on the personality and decision making of a single person and their ability to convince the community, on balance, that the effort is worthwhile. This is a big ask for any single person to accomplish given the subject matter. I'm not sure you've fully appreciated or anticipated this difficulty.
This is sage advice. Wisdom. Are we building a statistical database or a memorial to honor those that have passed, as josephnephi pointed out? If to honor those that have passed, to honor them and their lives, an editorial board would be advised. Not a haphazard and ill thought out seemingly thrown together site by an individual. I wouldn't have released a draft to the public, especially so quickly. This gives off a perception opposite of what you claim you'd like to accomplish. Taking time, with accountability, is what is needed for something like this. It seems you are against this idea along with many other words of wisdom and advice that were offered to you, kindly and with respect, by the way. Yet you seemed to have disrespected and shamed them in response. At first I was neutral, giving you the benefit of the doubt. Later, it became apparent that you care more about this so called project than you care about the people you say you're trying to honor. I can't get my head around that. It doesn't sync. A compassionate and kind idea on one hand and rude and callous retorts on the other. Which leads me to believe that you have an ulterior motive behind this. I hope it's not true. I hope your motives are pure. If they are, it seems to me that with humility, you'd take the advice and wisdom given to you by many on this thread. It seems if your motives were truly as pure as you say, you wouldn't care who got credit or who leads this initiative. You would be more reluctant to release drafts so hastily and early on in the process. You'd care more about the outcome and vision of such a memorial where these lives could be remembered and honored in a beautiful, tasteful, and meaningful way.
I should be on a mountain
User avatar
HikerGuy
Posts: 1546
Joined: 5/25/2006
14ers: 58 
13ers: 595 8
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by HikerGuy »

josephnephi wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:42 am I think the reason for many people's objections is that the site is trying to be both a memorial and a useful database. In splitting the difference, it doesn't do either very well.

If you want to make it a memorial, additions should probably only be at the family's request with biographies written by the families that celebrate the life of the deceased. Currently it's usually just a name with a short blurb that feels like it reduces an individual their (often violent) final moments.

If you want to make a database, it has to be useful and somehow prescriptive otherwise it's just morbid.

This is kind of hamstrung by the qualitative nature of a lot of these fatality reports (this isn't really your fault btw). CAIC or UIAA accident reports have a lot more quantitative numbers and are treated a lot more like forensics reports so that future accidents can be avoided. A CAIC report will include things like crown height, time of year, time of day, aspect, etc so that future avalanche reports can more accurately reflect conditions. UIAA reports often focus on modes of failure and how to prevent them in the future. Currently, this database is limited to things like "fall", "lightning", etc which are terribly helpful and don't help develop future models or climbing practices. Looking the website, it does seem like not falling is the best way not to die but that is also fairly obvious to everyone (including probably every single person who died this way). Similarly, we could certainly just ban climbing on all class 3 and 4 peaks and greatly reduce deaths but that would greatly reduce the allure and challenge for many, many people.

Another thing is that expanding the scope to include all people who died near a 14er instead of just actively climbing it kind of erodes the usefulness because a plane crash and a climbing fall are very different.

Further for a database type website, I think including names is kind of unnecessary to the mission and just serves as a painful reminder for those who might feel sad about losing their dad, sister, friend, etc.

I personally understand just wanting to make a database because you can (see my many many spreadsheets) and I commend you effort, but I think keeping it totally anonymous without the blurbs would be more respectful and would probably keep most of the detractors at bay.
Joseph summed up the issues very well, quoting to repeat them again.
User avatar
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
Posts: 233
Joined: 5/29/2020
14ers: 25 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

CheapCigarMan wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:59 pm
This is sage advice. Wisdom. Are we building a statistical database or a memorial to honor those that have passed, as josephnephi pointed out? If to honor those that have passed, to honor them and their lives, an editorial board would be advised. Not a haphazard and ill thought out seemingly thrown together site by an individual. I wouldn't have released a draft to the public, especially so quickly. This gives off a perception opposite of what you claim you'd like to accomplish. Taking time, with accountability, is what is needed for something like this. It seems you are against this idea along with many other words of wisdom and advice that were offered to you, kindly and with respect, by the way. Yet you seemed to have disrespected and shamed them in response. At first I was neutral, giving you the benefit of the doubt. Later, it became apparent that you care more about this so called project than you care about the people you say you're trying to honor. I can't get my head around that. It doesn't sync. A compassionate and kind idea on one hand and rude and callous retorts on the other. Which leads me to believe that you have an ulterior motive behind this. I hope it's not true. I hope your motives are pure. If they are, it seems to me that with humility, you'd take the advice and wisdom given to you by many on this thread. It seems if your motives were truly as pure as you say, you wouldn't care who got credit or who leads this initiative. You would be more reluctant to release drafts so hastily and early on in the process. You'd care more about the outcome and vision of such a memorial where these lives could be remembered and honored in a beautiful, tasteful, and meaningful way.
+1000
User avatar
Timmy
Posts: 314
Joined: 7/5/2005
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Timmy »

CheapCigarMan wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:59 pm Are we building a statistical database or a memorial to honor those that have passed
The word memorial has many definitions. Perhaps I wasn't clear with MY definition -- which is my mistake. My definition is to create a historical record -- which is one of the definitions of to memorialize. With that said, I'm only allowing publicly available information and not opinions. I've had to remove a few opinions that might tarnish the reputation of the deceased. Keep in mind that 90% of the content has been submitted by members of the 14ers forum and not by me. I will not allow anyone's death or memory to be tarnished. I will allow public records, personal accounts, and any comments from those who were personally touched by the deceased.

Regarding your other points, I began to have personal attacks. If you look through the thread you will see I had multiple personal attacks -- which I largely ignored. This was not criticism of the site, these were accusations. If you don't like the site or the project, fine, but don't attack me personally. If you attack me personally, then I'm ending all dialogue. I'm unsure why people think I should be attacked personally?

Thanks for the input and if you want to assist, I'd appreciate it.
No good deed goes unpunished
User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 2492
Joined: 6/14/2010
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Dave B »

Timmy wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:34 pm
Dave B wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:42 pm Looking at the turn this thread has taken like:
jebus is horrified.jpg
Hahaha! That sums it up perfectly. Thanks for the levity!

PS, +1 for the avatar!
That was more directed at your defensiveness at genuine and heartfelt feedback from other forum members expressing concern about this project.

Weather's looking nice again, might be a good time to go spend some time outside and away from internet forums, Timmy.
User avatar
Timmy
Posts: 314
Joined: 7/5/2005
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Timmy »

Dave B wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:10 am Heartfelt
That’s hilarious!!!!

You’re leaving jokes and memes in a memorial section. If you have nothing to offer, I’ll add you to the troll list like the rest. Grow up!
No good deed goes unpunished
User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 2492
Joined: 6/14/2010
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Dave B »

Timmy wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:42 am
Dave B wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:10 am Heartfelt
That’s hilarious!!!!

You’re leaving jokes and memes in a memorial section. If you have nothing to offer, I’ll add you to the troll list like the rest. Grow up!

You seemed to think it was pretty funny earlier.

Timmy wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:34 pm
Dave B wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:42 pm Looking at the turn this thread has taken like:
jebus is horrified.jpg
Hahaha! That sums it up perfectly. Thanks for the levity!

PS, +1 for the avatar!
User avatar
Timmy
Posts: 314
Joined: 7/5/2005
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by Timmy »

Quick (and final) status update

I've received more than 300 incident records from 14ers.com. Between those, a DM with several estimated fatalities, and the records for https://14er-deaths.com/ (not all of them are on the site yet), I'm confident the dataset now covers the low 90s percent of all recreational deaths on the fourteeners.

As I mentioned earlier, I reached out to my SAR contacts and got invaluable material from them. I've also drawn on government sources such as NOAA and the NWS, and on local and national media including Outside, The Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News archives. All of it will be cited on the site eventually -- this project started 30 days ago.

I read and considered every relevant comment and plan on implementation some of the great ideas, For example, I'll separate recreational and climbing deaths from all other fatalities. I'm also testing a news aggregator for incidents on the fourteeners, and other ways to present relevant data. You will be seeing this site referenced in articles soo and so those who have contributed, your assistance is amazing. The site already ranks near the top of search results, and the analytics show a much wider audience than I expected, with people staying on the site for a long time (stickiness).

The personal attacks from a small minority here surprised me. I asked for help in a memorial section of a climbing forum, and I had to block people who couldn't stay civil or had no intention of helping. For context, this is the second major research project I've led. I've also done research for two books and for a Mount Everest summit project, and I've never experienced the vitriol, entitlement, and elitism like this before. I'm still laughing at the person who accused me of using AI because she didn't know how to type an em-dash. I wont remember the negative comments but I will be repeating that tidbit. :lol: :lol: :lol: (the em-dash can be typed on a keyboard by Win+Shift+hyphen: —).

Thanks to everyone who contributed. You rock :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
No good deed goes unpunished
User avatar
josephnephi
Posts: 125
Joined: 7/1/2022
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 669 3
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: Help Build a Record of Fatalities on Colorado’s 14ers

Post by josephnephi »

Timmy wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 7:05 pm I'm still laughing at the person who accused me of using AI because she didn't know how to type an em-dash. I wont remember the negative comments but I will be repeating that tidbit. :lol: :lol: :lol: (the em-dash can be typed on a keyboard by Win+Shift+hyphen: —).
This is uncalled for, snide, and rude.
Promote West Eolus???