💡My Map Workspace

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 6781
Joined: 7/25/2004
14ers: 58  47  19 
13ers: 174 45 37
Trip Reports (5)
 

💡My Map Workspace

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Hey Everyone,

I want to pull back the curtain a bit on a feature decision I made last year. When I discontinued the old "Map Drawing" tool in 2025, it was because I wasn't seeing many people using it. Maintaining older code takes a lot of effort, so it seemed logical to retire it.

However, after it was gone, I realized I made the wrong call. I actually found myself missing the tool for my own planning. More importantly, I realized that providing a free, built-in space for map drawing/planning is something that should be available here. I want our members to have these tools right here on the site, rather than having to search elsewhere for this functionality or pay for a subscription through another service. To be clear, the goal isn't to try and compete with major web mapping products or premium navigation apps out there. Many of us will still use tools like CalTopo for advanced mapping stuff. Instead, this is about filling in gaps on 14ers.com so we can have useful mapping tools right here on the site. And have access to the map work through your Dashboard.

So, I changed my mind. Over the past month, I completely rebuilt the tool from scratch. I didn't just want to bring back the old version—I wanted to build a robust, more modern interface that will be easy to maintain and expand in the future.

It's now called My Map Workspace, and it's live on the main map today. Click the button on the left side of the map to display the workspace panel. If you don't see the icon, you need to log into your account first. Once you can see the panel, here's what it contains:
  • Import GPX: Bring in existing GPX data for further manipulation or just to have it in your workspace.
  • Drawing: Freely sketch out tracks and plot waypoints directly on the map interface. For tracks, you can also view an elevation profile AND use modify, trim, and smooth tools.
  • Folders: Organize your tracks and waypoints into dedicated folders.
  • Search Function
  • Export: Folders or individual tracks/waypoints can be exported to GPX or KML.
  • Workspace Settings: Set defaults for editing and how work is displayed on the map.
  • My Stuff: Content in your map workspace is automatically saved to your 14ers.com profile. And you can jump directly to the workspace panel from My Stuff, in My Dashboard.
And if you previously used the old Map Drawing feature, drawings you saved should display in the new workspace, organized into folders named by year.

I welcome your feedback on the changes and hope it helps some of you better plan hikes and climbs.

Thanks for reading,
-- Bill

One more note: In various places throughout the site, I will be adding "Open in My Map Workspace..." options. This should be helpful if you're viewing a trip report gpx-based map and would like to make it your own, or if you found a GPX Library entry you want to work with.
Fascism, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not inevitable—they are choices. And so are compassion, understanding, and justice. Educate yourself and choose better.
User avatar
Cereal
Posts: 117
Joined: 8/21/2018
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 💡My Map Workspace

Post by Cereal »

Hi Bill!

It looks great so far.

I hope you don't mind if I use this as an opportunity to ask about a couple related features:
  1. Could you please add back in the ability to open any existing GPX (from a 14er Route, a 13er Route, a Trip Report or just a Library Upload) in the My Map Workspace? I believe this existed for GPXs in Trip Reports previously, but it went away. I don't think there was ever a way to do it from a 14er Route, a 13er Route, or a Library Upload.
  2. Could we please also have the ability to download a KML of any Route? This exists on the Route pages for your 14er Routes, but not for 13er Routes, Trip Report GPXs, or Library Upload GPXs.
I believe that if we had the first one, we wouldn't necessarily need the second one.

I also wonder if others would appreciate this functionality?

Thanks again!
-Cereal
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 1709
Joined: 8/24/2017
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 187 30
Trip Reports (86)
 

Re: 💡My Map Workspace

Post by daway8 »

WOOHOO!!! Happy to see a new and improved version of this online! I was apparently one of the few who used the old version and really missed the convenience of doing some quick edits and map checks right on the site.

I look forward to playing around with this once I get a little time!
User avatar
Trotter
Posts: 1488
Joined: 6/5/2013
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 279 2 8
Trip Reports (10)
 

Re: 💡My Map Workspace

Post by Trotter »

Awesome job Bill. I was one of the users of the line drawing mode for many years, and it helped me with many summits. Glad to see its back, thank you
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
User avatar
climbnowworklater
Posts: 211
Joined: 7/9/2012
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: 💡My Map Workspace

Post by climbnowworklater »

Right on Bill! Haven't tried it yet but I will. I was one of the people who was bummed out when you cut the feature off. I'm really glad you brought it back.
Last edited by climbnowworklater on Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
User avatar
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
Posts: 233
Joined: 5/29/2020
14ers: 25 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 💡My Map Workspace

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

This is a great feature!! Thanks, Bill!!
User avatar
mikemalick
Posts: 230
Joined: 6/9/2009
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 253 9
Trip Reports (8)
 

Re: 💡My Map Workspace

Post by mikemalick »

Awesome news and a big thank you Bill! I was one of those few people using it and always loved it. Since it went away, I've had to use "lesser" tools. Always enjoyed this site as a one-stop-shop and glad it is back. Thanks again.