Background:
- +30 year runner
- Back in the day, per se, best runs mile through 10k. Injuries built up from over training, racing too much (had to keep my small sponsorship). Experience in mountain hiking, trail running in California, Colorado and New England (nothing serious) and started returning to more and more distance and trails around three years ago.
- Flatlander from Texas, Colorado resident in the past. Was told in Boulder at the Lighthouse Bookstore that I have the aura of a native Colorado.
Questions:
1. I am thinking of running Mt. Elbert in either late April or early May to avoid the summer crowds. Any possible concerns over weather related issues?
2. Since my current elevation is around 700', I plan to find close locations with elevation to start prepping. eg There's a trail southeast of Taos, the Devisadero Loop (9,000') for example.
3. I'd come out about a week and a half ahead of the target date for Mt Elbert and find a reasonable VRBO to acclimate and start prepping. Walk the mountain slowly a few times to adapt, start adding short runs.
4. Diet -- besides lots of fluids, have read focus on a near vegan/vegetarian diet low in fat has been found to be optimal and have really started focusing more on this approach. Thoughts? How about dropping coffee since it is a diuretic...have seen that suggested.
5. Shoes. Are trail shoes really needed? Years ago, I didn't wear them and recently, just haven't found the need except for the occasional rock or root that is sticking up here or there.
Things like strength training, mobility -- no issues with that. Weights, calisthenics, follow Dr. Stuart McGill's mobility/core work.
Thanks for your help and insights!
