I am looking to make a trip out to Colorado (from Missouri) this summer (Late June) and climb some 14ers. In the past I have completed Evans (Class 2), Pike's Peak (Class 1 via Barr Trail), and Sneffels. Sneffels was definitely the most enjoyable (and highest class) of those three.
I want to spend a day or so acclimating to altitude and then hit Mt. Elbert. After that I want to complete Sneffels a second time and bring my camera (last time I only had my phone with me and those photos didn't do the view justice in my opinion).
In addition to the plans described above, as I was doing some research I also stumbled across this trip report about the Chicago Basin: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18064 and it caught my eye. Windom Peak appears to be by consensus the easiest of the four accessible 14ers from the Chicago Basin area and I definitely want to attempt that one and it 100% appears to be within my range of ability.
Having previously done Sneffels (Class 3) and enjoyed it a ton I would also like to make an attempt at Eolus and North Eolus (both Class 3s) if folks here think it is feasible for someone like me.
The most challenging would of course be Sunlight. It has some Class 4 moves near the summit, however, they do not look overly terrible and the rest of it appears to be Class 3 and 2 (at least per the research I've done so far, correct me if I am wrong). I would like to attempt it if possible, but it is definitely the one that I really want to do my homework on and think carefully about before I make any decisions.
If it is feasible I would love to make an attempt at all four (over at least two days, similar to how it was approached in the trip review linked above) but I want to get the advice of people who are more knowledgeable than I am. I don't want to be "that guy" who takes on too much and ends up getting into trouble.
For some added context: I am in my early 20s, in decent shape (running 3 miles 4 or so days a week and getting some weights in as well) and I have done a fair amount of climbing in a gym (5.10) and a small amount outdoors. I've watched a number of videos and read a number of things about all of the routes above and reviewed previous trip reports. I have no fear of heights/exposure and find things like that fun.
Any and all thoughts/feedback are appreciated. Thanks!
Seeking Trip Advice/Feedback
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
hws2019
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 4/26/2020
- 14ers: 6
- Trip Reports (0)
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Seeking Trip Advice/Feedback
You'll need an iceaxe to do safely do the Chicago Basin 14ers in late June this year. Come in August or September if you can. Once most of the snow is gone, I'd say go for it, but not in laye June without an iceaxe.
Last edited by Scott P on Mon May 15, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
daway8
- Posts: 1708
- Joined: 8/24/2017
- 14ers: 58 31
- 13ers: 187 30
- Trip Reports (86)
Re: Seeking Trip Advice/Feedback
Comment 1) weather often complicates Chicago Basin plans - leave some buffer for that if you try it.
Comment 2) Back to back peak days take a toll even on people who climb on a regular basis. Elbert + Sneffles + the CB4 within... how much time? If this is just a weeklong trip that would be a very exhausting week for most people... Hopefully you'll leave a rest day or two between peaks.
Comment 2) Back to back peak days take a toll even on people who climb on a regular basis. Elbert + Sneffles + the CB4 within... how much time? If this is just a weeklong trip that would be a very exhausting week for most people... Hopefully you'll leave a rest day or two between peaks.
-
hws2019
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 4/26/2020
- 14ers: 6
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Seeking Trip Advice/Feedback
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking to spend 12-14 days in the state so I plan to have some rest days in the mix of things.daway8 wrote: ↑Mon May 15, 2023 3:19 pm Comment 1) weather often complicates Chicago Basin plans - leave some buffer for that if you try it.
Comment 2) Back to back peak days take a toll even on people who climb on a regular basis. Elbert + Sneffles + the CB4 within... how much time? If this is just a weeklong trip that would be a very exhausting week for most people... Hopefully you'll leave a rest day or two between peaks.
-
peter303
- Posts: 3583
- Joined: 6/17/2009
- 14ers: 34
- 13ers: 12
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Seeking Trip Advice/Feedback
I suggest not repeating Sneffels so soon because there are 50 other amazing 14ers to climb.
I suggest Yale which not too far from Elbert. And it has significant class 2 scrambling.
I suggest Yale which not too far from Elbert. And it has significant class 2 scrambling.
